Chromecast?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

sean

Chromecast?

Post by sean »

Hey guys.

Just got myself a Chomecast. Is there a way to stream from MM to the Chromecast? Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Sean
Peke

Re: Chromecast?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Try Right click on MMW player -> Choose Player and see if chromecast is available?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I believe that Chromecast doesn't support DLNA out of the box. However it is my understanding you can install Apps on it so you just need a DLNA capable App to do this.
sean

Post by sean »

@Peke Right clicking the player doesn't give me the option Choose Player... Only Setup Player, or Configure Current Output/Input Plugin.

With AppleTV I downloaded some plugin, had to install a DLL file, and configure some thing in the Output Plugins section. Would it not be some kind of similar prcocess with the Chromecast?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

sean wrote:@Peke Right clicking the player doesn't give me the option Choose Player... Only Setup Player, or Configure Current Output/Input Plugin.
That feature is only in MM 4.1 and later
With AppleTV I downloaded some plugin, had to install a DLL file, and configure some thing in the Output Plugins section. Would it not be some kind of similar prcocess with the Chromecast?
No. with MM 4.1 you can stream your output over the network to any upnp compatible device/software natively with MM.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
sean

Post by sean »

What?! Where do you get it? My version is 4.07 and I thought it is the latest.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

From the Beta Testing forum. MediaMonkey 4.1 allows Play To (right click on Player > Choose Player) to any UPnP client that supports this. However I believe that neither Apple TV nor Chromecast (there is the Plex App which may support UPnP) support this out of the box.
sean

Post by sean »

Wow, all this time...

You're right. Chromecast does not show up in the list of players. Anyone have any clue how to make Chromecast SUBMIT to MM?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

sean wrote:Anyone have any clue how to make Chromecast SUBMIT to MM?
Lowlander wrote:(there is the Plex App which may support UPnP)
sean

Post by sean »

From what I understand of Plex, and I don't understand it very much, is that it simply runs a DLNA server on your computer with a web interface. Then I could access my music from the Plex web interface and use the Chrome browser to cast it to the Chromecast... But that is not what I want, MM is not even involved then.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may be right about this. I don't know why the big players like Roku, Apple TV and Chromecast make DLNA such a difficult thing. There is no clear documentation on whether DLNA is supported or not or if it can be done through third party Apps.

If you can't find a DLNA/UPnP App you can't stream from MediaMonkey to the Chromecast.
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

sean,

Chromecast does not support standard streaming protocols like DLNA that's why you can't see it in MediaMonkey. As you can't install apps on the Chromecast it's not possible to add DLNA functionality to the device. Someone would therefore have to write a plugin for MediaMonkey to add the option to stream to Chromecast.

Maybe one day or another the developers of 2Player, UPnPlay, BubbleUPnP, XBMC or one of the other DLNA compatible apps for Android devices will add Chromecast support to their apps.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There are Apps for Chromecast, but only a few Apps are available: http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/de ... /apps.html
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

Lowlander wrote:There are Apps for Chromecast
There are, indeed, but these apps are either for Chrome (the browser), Android phones or iPhones. They can't be installed on the Chromecast because the Chromecast was designed to be a "receiver device" only.

Here's what Google says:

"The receiver device runs a scaled-down Chrome browser with a receiver application that receives data over Internet Protocol and transmits it to the television via HDMI." (https://developers.google.com/cast/).

"Applications running on the Google Cast receiver device (receiver applications) are always web applications. They are launched on the device after it receives instructions from the sender application to do so." (https://developers.google.com/cast/deve ... r_receiver).