MM 4.1 which Tablet do you recommend?

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

dnelsonuk

MM 4.1 which Tablet do you recommend?

Post by dnelsonuk »

Wanting to purchase a tablet to stream music from my NAS drive with MM and push to my Yamaha Reciever. Currently using MM4.1 to do this from my Windows PC and it works great. Any recommendations for a Tablet I can run MM from to acheive same? (Would it have to be Windows 8 Compatible, what about RT does this also have same capability to pull from NAs and Push to receiver as MM4.1?)
Lowlander

Re: MM 4.1 which Tablet do you recommend?

Post by Lowlander »

You'll need Windows if you want to use MediaMonkey to push to a UPnP client. Windows 8 RT isn't designed to run desktop Apps which is currently the only method (I believe that MediaMonkey for Metro can't push to UPnP clients, but I haven't tried this yet).

You can also use Android if you don't mind using any client (like BubbleUPnP) to pull music from MediaMonkey on a PC and push it to any UPnP client.
jenmeer

Post by jenmeer »

Hi,

Can you (or somebody) describe the solution under Android?
To give you a feeling what I want to do, and how it could be able to do it with Android, I will describe my "Idea"

I have a NAS (Synology) with all my music in FLAC and MP3 format.
I have a Denon Receiver which is DLNA and AIRPLAY enabled
And I am using a 7" Android tablet.

My Idea is the following --> more or less a "remote controller" for Mediamonkey, to have all the functionality, I also have in Medieamonkey:
--> Access with my tablet to all my music, stored on the NAS by using the mediamonkey database
--> Search songs, complete compilations ... and create by drag and drop a play list (like MediaMonkey supports it)
--> play my "compilation" of songs via the DENON receiver (by using DLNA or AIRPLAY)

I found a lot of apps, but they are less comfortable and don't have the possibility to access a database file stored somewhere

thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

mojo34

Post by mojo34 »

Hi all,

Jenmeer has reported my exact situation as well: Synology NAS with music library, wanted to use MM to "play to" DENON Network Audio Player (or Pioneer).

If the Android MM version could get a "play to" feature, it would be awesome to use the app as a controller. The other option is to get a Windows 8 tablet (not RT) and run regularly Media Monkey's upcoming 4.1 version.

But Android tabs are less expensive...

I have tested playing from the NAS via a Samsung Tab, and the headphone line-out gave pretty poor sound on my nice system. It'd be best if the sound didn't have to depend on the tablet's components at all.

Any idea whether or not that "play to" feature will make it into the Android version?

Thanks!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Today I experimented with Android BubbleUPnP where I set my LG TV as Renderer and MMW as Library. I was amazed but that actually worked very well.

Also "Play To" is on our to do list for MMA.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

mojo34 wrote:Hi all,

Jenmeer has reported my exact situation as well: Synology NAS with music library, wanted to use MM to "play to" DENON Network Audio Player (or Pioneer).

If the Android MM version could get a "play to" feature, it would be awesome to use the app as a controller. The other option is to get a Windows 8 tablet (not RT) and run regularly Media Monkey's upcoming 4.1 version.

But Android tabs are less expensive...

I have tested playing from the NAS via a Samsung Tab, and the headphone line-out gave pretty poor sound on my nice system. It'd be best if the sound didn't have to depend on the tablet's components at all.

Any idea whether or not that "play to" feature will make it into the Android version?

Thanks!

I also have a 12TB Synology NAS, networked to a laptop dedicated to my stereo system that runs MM, that laptop is connected to a USB DAC that feeds my Integra receiver. All my files are lossless flac, ape, wma, m4a, etc. What I have found is that DLNA does not work all that well for high end audio, most DLNA clients will tell MM to down convert (transcode) higher bit rates (above 800kbps) rather than accept them as-is. So what I do is install Monkey Mote on my iPad and Android devices and use that to remote control MM on the home theater laptop running MM (which indexes the NAS). This way I don't other with DLNA, I get fastest response time, no files need to be cached and transcoded by MM and the main stereo runs with a nice DAC and full fidelity.

DLNA is a convenience technology, its ok for some things, but I've found good remote control solutions for MM to be much more useable, reliable and just plain sound better.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Any transcoding is set in MediaMonkey and can be defined per client if needed. You can disably any and all transcoding if you don't want any, but it depends on the client if it supports the files.
Bananahead

Post by Bananahead »

I use a MS Surface Pro 2 256gb (so full Windows 8.1) and it runs MM 4.1 very well. I am using a Synology NAS and an Arcam AV amp. Highly recommended but maybe expensive.
ohneland

Post by ohneland »

ohneland wrote:I was having the same issue.
Installed MMA because I really like the Desktop version.
However, the point of purchasing a NAS was not have the Desktop PC switched on all the time.
It seems that with the current setup MMA just is another Media Player that can connect to a UPNP-server (it is not a bad app though!).
Is there a way to store the MM database on the NAS (in my case a Synology DS)?
Or maybe a way to copy the database to your android device with the paths modified respectively (as my Music is on the NAS anyway)?
And what about Windows Phone?
Thanks!
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 94#p375371
ohneland

Win 10
Logitech Media Server on a Synology NAS with diff. players
MM 5, MP3Tag, EAC, Musicbee
ohneland

Post by ohneland »

Peke wrote:Hi,
Today I experimented with Android BubbleUPnP where I set my LG TV as Renderer and MMW as Library. I was amazed but that actually worked very well.
Hi, was the library stored on the pc or on a Nas?
ohneland

Win 10
Logitech Media Server on a Synology NAS with diff. players
MM 5, MP3Tag, EAC, Musicbee
Peke

Post by Peke »

My library is on PC with MediaMonkey Actual Files are on NAS and I use IEEE 802.3ad port trunking to Gain 2GBit Bandwidth Aggregation so when multiple clients access NAS I do not have degrade in speed as much as when I use single 1Gbit Link. There is no more than 3-4 clients accessing the NAS making it almost impossible not to to have full 1GBit per PC on average 2 PCs accessing it and I have ~110Mbytes copy from NAS to each PC. All of My devices are in Assigned Static IPs on LAN. And non Reserved MACs are in separate VLAN (Guests) that have both limited bandwidth and access.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts