freedbSubmitter 1.01

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

freedbSubmitter 1.01

Postby gbilley » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Description:
This MediaMonkey extension allows you to submit new discs to the freedb database using your MediaMonkey album and song data. It will NOT allow you to update or revise discs that already exist on freedb.

Requirements:
MediaMonkey 4+

Installation:
Double click the freedbSubmitter1.01.mmip file.

If you prefer to install manually, follow these steps:

- Open freedbSubmitter1.01.mmip in a Zip utility
- Copy the freedbSubmitter folder to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Scripts\
- Add the following entry to the Scripts.ini in the Scripts folder:

[freedbSubmitter]
Filename=freedbSubmitter\freedbSubmitter.vbs
Procname=launchSubmitter
Order=125
DisplayName=Submit to freedb
Description=Allows you to submit new discs to freedb from MediaMonkey
Language=VBScript
ScriptType=0

Configuration:
The extension allows you the options to preview your entry before submitting, and to include extended data from your Album Comment and Song Comment fields. You can configure default values for these options by opening the freedbSubmitter.hta file in a text editor and changing the values of the viewSubmitDefault and sendExtDefault variables.

It's also a good idea to ensure that you have a valid email address entered into MediaMonkey's User Name and User Domain fields under Options>Network (Proxy and Freedb)>Freedb Settings.

Usage:
Follow these steps to submit your disc with freedbSubmitter:

- Expand the Location node in the MM Music Tree
- Select the CD you would like to submit to freedb (no disc needs to be in the CD drive)
- Ensure that the Song List is sorted by ascending Track Number
- Open freedbSubmitter from the Tools>Scripts menu
- In the freedbSubmitter window, click the Query freedb button
- The freedb query results will be displayed
- If your disc does not exist on freedb, you will see a freedb Category dropdown list and a Submit button
- Select a category for your disc (the category doesn't need to match your MM genre)
- If you would like to preview your submission, check the Preview Submission checkbox
- If you would like to include extended disc and track data with your submission, check the Submit Extended Data checkbox (Extended disc data is obtained from your Album Comments field, while extended track data is obtained from your Song Comment fields)
- Click the Submit button
- The submission results will be displayed
- If you see a message that a DiscID collision (http://www.freedb.org/en/faq.3.html#27) has occurred, select a different freedb category and click Submit again (once again, the category doesn't need to match your MM genre)

If your submission is successful, your entry will appear in the freedb database after about one to six hours.

Even if you receive a message that your submission was successful, that doesn't necessarily mean it was accepted. The server does some post-submission checks, and if it finds a problem, it can still reject your entry. If that happens, you are supposed to receive an email at the address you provided that explains the reason. That hasn't been my experience. Except for some early failures while I was still working out the coding, all of my submissions using this extension have been successful.

Download URL:
http://s280013308.onlinehome.us/download/freedbSubmitter1.01.mmip

History Version:
1.00 2016-08-14 initial release
1.01 2016-08-17 changed install/uninstall configuration to eliminate the requirement to run as admin

Additional Information:
You may be wondering why this extension only permits you to submit discs that don't already exist on freedb, but doesn't permit you to update already existing discs.

The reason is to avoid any unintentional damage to existing freedb data. I recently discovered that MediaMonkey does not seem to download and save extended disc data from freedb. For more information, see my earlier post:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85692

If that's the case (and please correct me if I'm wrong), it would be possible for a user to get album info from freedb, clean up the data and maybe make some useful additions. Then being a good Samaritan, the user would submit the cleaned up data back to freedb so that others would benefit from the user's improvements and enhancements. The revised submission would overwrite the old, but if the original submission included extended disc data, that data would be lost because the MediaMonkey user would have never received it and his or her submission would contain no data in the disc extended data field.

I would prefer to err on the side of caution by not allowing this extension to make revisions. Part of my rational is that I think it's more important to add new discs to the freedb database than it is revise existing data. It's not an ideal situation, but at least now MediaMonkey users can finally contribute to the freedb community.

I would be interested in any thoughts or feedback.

Useful freedb Links:
FAQ: http://www.freedb.org/en/faq.3.html
Advanced Search: http://www.freedb.org/freedb_search.php
DiscID Search: http://www.freedb.org/freedb_discid_check.php
gbilley

Re: freedbSubmitter 1.01

Postby Peke » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi,
Nice one. You know that MME database contain Freedb/CDDB Id for Audio CDs already in Library?
Best regards,
Pavle
MM Core Developer and Admin of free MediaMonkey extensions Hosting
Peke

Postby gbilley » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:50 am

Thanks. I do indeed know the discid is in the database Medias table, as is the disc TOC. The script makes use of both fields.

Cheers,

Gary
gbilley

Postby Peke » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:51 pm

I was just checking :)
Best regards,
Pavle
MM Core Developer and Admin of free MediaMonkey extensions Hosting
Peke

Postby Vega » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:10 am

Hey, I really think it might be useful to "update" the freedb sometimes...i'm a avid hardcore music user and have notice that the freedb is sometimes wrong or useless and i'm having to correct data that is already on freedb...so i would love to correct this incorrect data or make additional usage metdata song data available to anyone that might need it in the future. Please advise or update this app if you can ...it only adds or contributes to the date already exitstin on freedb, why not? Thanks for the contribution and addition to MM..Cheers!
Vega

Postby gbilley » Sun May 07, 2017 11:02 am

Hi Vega,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and apologies for my late response. I just today (7 May 2017) received an email informing me there was a new post in this thread.

I totally agree with your view on updating and improving freedb data. and I did seriously consider including an update capability. However I'm still concerned about MM's limitations retrieving all data from freedb. I detailed those concerns in the "Additional Information" section of my original post, but to recap here, MM does not appear to download and save extended data from freedb (or at least for me it doesn't). Given that, a MM revision to an existing freedb entry would result in the loss of the extended data. Some freedb entries include very extensive and useful details in their disc and track extended data fields. It would be a pity to lose that data, and a disservice to the original contributor.

Even if MM v5 included the capability to save extended data, and I added a revision capability to the extension, there is still the danger of all the existing MM v4 records to potentially wipe out freedb extended data in revised entries.

I think we are on the same page regarding cleaning up freedb, so I hope you'll understand my reasoning. But I'm also interested in extending the usefulness of MM and freedb, so if you have any thoughts on how to do that without wreaking further havoc on freedb data, please let me know.

Thanks.

Regards,

Gary
gbilley

Postby Ridgeback » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:17 am

Sorry to ask stupid question:

Configuration:
The extension allows you the options to preview your entry before submitting, and to include extended data from your Album Comment and Song Comment fields. You can configure default values for these options by opening the freedbSubmitter.hta file in a text editor and changing the values of the viewSubmitDefault and sendExtDefault variables.

Change values to what? True?

I'm new to this.
Ridgeback

Postby gbilley » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:55 am

Hi Ridgeback,

Not a stupid question at all, and definitely nothing to be sorry about. I should have noted the possible values in the the configuration with a comment instead of assuming users would intuit the options.

You are correct The options for both settings are true and false (not case-sensitive, and no quotes).
gbilley

Postby VladTepes » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Am I missing something here. Doesn't MMW already allow a submit to freedb option without the need for a plugin?
VladTepes

Postby Lowlander » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:58 am

Nop, it can only retrieve from FreeDB.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Lowlander

Return to Need Help with Addons?