Script locations

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

terrypin

Script locations

Post by terrypin »

I posted a query about Magic Nodes here yesterday, partly because I wasn't sure which script version thread was appropriate and partly because it included a more general question. It's now been moved to the right place, http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 42#p408342

But its last line was:
"I'm also puzzled why scripts are in various different locations?"
and I'd appreciate any advice on that please. Likely to get more attention here than there.

Expanding briefly, I seem to have scripts in these folders (each with an \Auto subfolder):

C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Scripts (plus subfolders \Auto and \iTunesMonkey)
C:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Application Data\MediaMonkey\Scripts((plus subfolder \Auto)

(I also have backup copies in other locations.)

Is the location critical? IOW, it wouldn't be sensible to move them all into C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Scripts for 'tidiness'?
Where does MM get told the correct location for each script? If I get an error message about not finding the script, or its incompatibility, like the one in my original thread, what is the recommended approach to isolate the cause please? Understanding the structure better might help me faster than posting in the dedicated thread.
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
MM 5.0.2.2532 (Gold), i7 4.0 GHz running Win 10 Pro
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
rivorson

Re: Script locations

Post by rivorson »

Scripts installed in C:\Program Files... are available for all users of the computer but require admin rights to install and update.
Scripts in the [User]\Application Data... folder are only installed for the current user and do not require admin rights.

You can move scripts between the two but you would also have to edit the Scripts.ini files in both locations to remove the script reference from one and add it to the other.

The Auto subfolder in each location is for scripts that run automatically when MM is launched and don't need to be referenced in Scripts.ini.

Any other subfolders, such as \iTunesMonkey, are created by individual scripts.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Many thanks rivorson, exactly the succinct sort of summary that I needed!
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
KyleHx

Post by KyleHx »

I moved to a portable installation partially because of this exact issue.
In the portable version, everything is under one master directory,
there are fewer files, and there's no admin/all user issues.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

KyleHx wrote:I moved to a portable installation partially because of this exact issue.
In the portable version, everything is under one master directory,
there are fewer files, and there's no admin/all user issues.
Yes, it should make your life easier!
Place it wherever you want. And in backup situations, you can just manually copy the "entire" program >
Press delete on the original, install new version and replace core files .DB, .ini, .registry (in the portable directory)
and copy over scripts and skins with backup copies.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks both. Guess I need to read up on this 'portable version'. When I upgraded from my ancient v3 I didn't give that any thought. I sort of assumed it was a 'second best' to the desktop version, something for a tablet or carrying around on a USB stick. But clearly not. From what you've said it sounds like it's all that the 'normal' version is but better?

Which prompts the question, why is there a 'normal' version?
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

The portable version isn't necessarily better or worse. It is intended for using on multiple computers without having to run the installation multiple times, usually by carrying it on a USB stick but also any other method of transfer such as running from a network share. The portability can be beneficial if you have multiple computers but it does bring its own problems. I remember that older builds still used the \[User]\Application Data\ folder so it wasn't fully portable without manual configuration. That has been fixed but there may be other bugs that don't affect an installed version and there are still issues with scripts using absolute paths as KyleHx raised here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=80932.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

Also, the when installed MM can run as a background service so that UPnP/DLNA media sharing and Android WiFi sync are always available. That's not possible with the portable version.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Regular installs integrate with the OS via the registry (run a tad quicker and can provide some program functionality that the portable does not).

However, many portable programs write some entries to the registry that can improve some aspects of integration/performance. A portable
program that is well written, as MM is, can make the overall performance difference negligible.

But to echo rivorson, overall, it's not so much better or worse or a cure all. But it can make install, backup and file manipultion easier.
MMFrLife wrote:They are primarily promoted for using programs on detachable media like USB flash drives, etc.
so you can run them without having to "install" (a true install) them to your OS and can take them around anywhere and use on most computers.

Many people use them on their desktop as a way of keeping their OS/registry clean, ability to copy it off and run it elsewhere, for less system conflict,
ease in backup manipulation, etc.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks both, understood. I'll stick with my present full install for now. I have no network outside my home wi-fi (for my iPad and Kindle) and apart from occasional music on my HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windws Mobile) when out on walks (hikes), my major non-desktop use will be in the car.
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)