Behavior of the Now Playing Node

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Cyarron

Behavior of the Now Playing Node

Post by Cyarron »

First of all, I am quite honestly baffled about the Now Playing node on the tree. Here's a scenario: I start MM and right click on the Library node to change the filter from popular to Jazz. I then find the track I want and click the track - it starts to play. Then I think "gee, I want to also hear this track and then this album." As we all know, when I click to play that ONE track, EVERY track in the filtered node is added to the now playing node. If i want to enqueue a new album or track it will either add itself to the bottom of this potentially massive list or will briefly change the order.

I ask you: what is the point of Now Playing if it has EVERYTHING that is already in my filtered library node? Why not just put the previously played tracks, the current track, enqueued tracks and if there is nothing else, THEN ADD the VERY next track from the library?

This is by far the most irksome and annoying feature of MM. I do not want to have to make a custom playlist every time i want to listen to a few songs in a certain order. Also, the now playing list is slowing MM down (I know of the script that clears the list after it reaches a certain size but that alone isn't what I want).

Is there a script that will make these changes in MM's behavior? I don't know VBS so I can't pump out my own easily.
Bex

Re: Behavior of the Now Playing Node

Post by Bex »

This behaviour is configurable. Go to Tools->Options->Player and set up "Default Double-click Action" to your liking.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Cyarron

Post by Cyarron »

AWESOME! I know about Auto-DJ but is there a simple script (or can someone write one) that would automatically add the next song (in the proper order in the filtered library) if no song is already after the currently playing one in the Now Playing list? Essentially I want continuous playback without always getting a 15000 song now playing list.

Cheers! :D
Cyarron

Post by Cyarron »

So, there is no way to get it to follow the order of my filtered library node without selecting "play + subsequent" which adds all 35,000 songs into the now playing list? What is the point of now playing if it is going to be EXACTLY the same as the library node? I just want the player to play in order and if I want to change that order slightly (say, by queuing up an album to play next) to do that. I do NOT want mediamonkey to create 35,000 song "playlists" every time I try to play a track. It wastes my system resources, causes the program to hang on startup (and using a script to clear it only masks the problem) and is pointless. I fail to see how this feature does anyone any favors. MediaMonkey was designed with people who have large libraries in mind. When I think of a "now playing" list I think of the currently playing file, maybe the last 10 or so and then the next file. Auto DJ would be perfect if you could tell it NOT to shuffle but instead to just play the next track!
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

There are other Auto DJ scripts that may have more functionality, use search in the scripts forum.
I have never bothered with "auto" selections other than AutoDJ to provide a mix of music when I want it, but I can easily manually add any track or album but just highlighting the album, right click and select Play next, or play last etc.
The way I have my MM set up this only adds that what I have highlighted.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
twinbee

Post by twinbee »

I haven't really thought about it all that much before, but Cyarron's got a point.

Like he says, it would be nice to see a clearer view of the now playing view, and also where the next tune (or 5 tunes) is added to the now playing view from the library node, once the last one (or last but 5) has finished. This way, it looks neater for a start, and you can see all at once etc.

It won't change the logical possibilities that can already be done (apart from aesthetics), but yeah it looks nicer, and it won't slow the PC down as much by adding less potentially 1000s of tracks.

I suppose all that MM would have to do to implement this, is carry on as normal, but just visually hide all tracks after n amount of the currently playing one in the now playing view (i.e. seeing 1 or maybe 5-10 ahead).

Cyarron, may I suggest you post your idea to MediaMonkey Wishlist? I'd cast my vote of support.
MegaDJ v2 - Lightning fast and easy to use search to replace the standard AutoPlaylist. Features include random jukebox style playlists, along with syncing, weighting options, and logic complete querying.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

you mean like tools > options > player > auto-dj/now playing > automatically retain ### previous tracks in now playing

?
twinbee

Post by twinbee »

Yes, except that the next 5 would be the next ones in the tracklist, rather than randomly picked tracks.
MegaDJ v2 - Lightning fast and easy to use search to replace the standard AutoPlaylist. Features include random jukebox style playlists, along with syncing, weighting options, and logic complete querying.