Discogs Auto-tag Web Search

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

mbrackeva

Re: Discogs Auto-tag Web Search

Post by mbrackeva »

I just finished cleaning up my collection using this script. I estimate that I had trouble with about 5% of all albums. Most of the problems were caused by special characters (é,è,?,!,...) in the album or band names. So, I guess the script is not locale-proof.
Anyway, even in those cases the easy fix was to remove the special character or replace in the search field.
In a few occasions a song wasn't accepted eve though the title and other info was exactly the same as in the Discogs album description. No idea why that happened, but it was just a few occurences.

All in all, I'm very happy with this. As I always say, if I can replace a 100% solution that costs money with a 90% solution that is free, I won't hesitate...
DeathAxe

Post by DeathAxe »

The "Auto-Tagging from Internet" dialog does not show anything in the preview window, when selecting discogs as search source. I am using Windows 7 x86 with MediaMonkey 3.1.1.1266. I created an account at discogs.com for the required API-key. Any ideas?
industrialpope

Post by industrialpope »

shanghai_ultra wrote: I can't believe modern tags don't have a dedicated field for cat no. Poor.
There are so many things going on with taggers, tagging and digital music collections that everyone is now [messing] around with custom tags until someone figures out how to herd cats.

That said:
I've downloaded the 1.7.1 version.

Pros:
Yay! no more script errors and I get good search results with single tracks.

Cons:
it seems like it puts ALL the info about the album in the searchbar when it has results, this makes it a pain to sort through them.
Last edited by nohitter151 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove foul language
Let

Post by Let »

industrialpope wrote: There are so many things going on with taggers, tagging and digital music collections that everyone is now fucking around with custom tags until someone figures out how to herd cats.
I agree. Some discogs fields are missing in ID3 specification (such as Catalog#, Country and media type). There exists a media type field TMED ID3 frame which is completely different than discogs format field. Moreover this tag is not available in media monkey. Tagscanner saves "Release id" into ISRC ID3 Frame which has a completely different format defined in ISO 3901:1986. Seperating fields with multiple values using ';' is also media monkey specific and it is not defined in ID3V2 specification.

I've studied discogs documentation and ID3V2 fields and prepared this mapping:

Song artist title, if not exists full album artist title (inclu ding featuring etc.) -> Artist
Main Album artist title (without featuring etc.) -> Album Artist
ExtraArtists -> Involved People (Seperated with ';') (ExtraArtists with role Rap, Vocals will also be saved here instead of song artist)
ExtraArtists with role Written-by -> Lyricist
Genre and/or Style -> Genre (Seperated with ';')
Label(s) -> Publisher (Seperated with ';')
Release ID -> Custom 1 (there is no ID3 tag for this, ISDC is not correct, might be User defined URL link frame?)
Catalog # -> Custom 2 (Seperated with ';' one catalog number per label) (there is no ID3 tag for this too)
Country -> Custom 3 (there is no ID3 tag for this too)

Hopefully, next version will save tags like this. Just let me know if you have any ideas about this.

References:

http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames
http://www.discogs.com/help/quick-start-guide.html
http://www.discogs.com/help/docindex
http://www.discogs.com/help/forums/board/17
http://www.mkoby.com/2007/02/18/artist- ... um-artist/
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... le#p221202
Obsessive tagger

Post by Obsessive tagger »

Now I'm confused, this isn't an installer for the Discogs Auto-tag Web Search? So how do you install the extension then?
Let

Post by Let »

waku

Post by waku »

I was working on the script the other day, and now it seems that the conversion of "Artist, The" -> "The Artist" doesn't work anymore. I've tried to remove the script and install it again, restarted the program and rebooted the pc etc. but nothing seems to solve it. Does MediaMonkey use some sort of cache to its scripts since it wont go back to normal? Or how do I solve this?
ObsessiveTagger

Post by ObsessiveTagger »

Could someone please help me with this? I click on this link to try to install the DiscogsAutoTag extension and it downloads as a compressed (zipped) folder. Isn't this an mmip file? What's going on?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

An MMIP is just a renamed ZIP file, some browsers release this and rename it back to ZIP. To fix just rename it back to MMIP and then you can double click on it to install.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
ObsessiveTagger

trixmoto wrote:An MMIP is just a renamed ZIP file, some browsers release this and rename it back to ZIP. To fix just rename it back to MMIP and then you can double click on it to install.
How do I change the zipped folder to MMIP?
ObsessiveTagger

ObsessiveTagger wrote:
trixmoto wrote:An MMIP is just a renamed ZIP file, some browsers release this and rename it back to ZIP. To fix just rename it back to MMIP and then you can double click on it to install.
How do I change the zipped folder to MMIP?
Never mind I installed the script with Firefox instead of IE and it worked. Thank you so much!
waku

Post by waku »

waku wrote:I was working on the script the other day, and now it seems that the conversion of "Artist, The" -> "The Artist" doesn't work anymore. I've tried to remove the script and install it again, restarted the program and rebooted the pc etc. but nothing seems to solve it. Does MediaMonkey use some sort of cache to its scripts since it wont go back to normal? Or how do I solve this?
It seems that the conversion only applied to the album artists (and perhaps featuring artists). I've fixed it so it now also works for the track artists. This is needed if you're tagging a compilation album etc.

Find: (line 218, v1.7.1)

Code: Select all

For Each artist in itm.selectNodes("artists/artist")
						trackArtist = artist.selectSingleNode("name").Text
						If instr(trackArtist, " (") > 0 Then trackArtist = left(trackArtist, instrrev(trackArtist, " ("))
						artistList = artistList & trackArtist
						If Not artist.selectSingleNode("join") is Nothing Then artistList = artistList & " " & artist.selectSingleNode("join").Text & " "
					Next
Replace with:

For Each artist in itm.selectNodes("artists/artist")
						trackArtist = artist.selectSingleNode("name").Text
						If instr(trackArtist, " (") > 0 Then trackArtist = left(trackArtist, instrrev(trackArtist, " ("))
						if instr(trackArtist, ", The") > 0 Then trackArtist = "The " & left(trackArtist, instrrev(trackArtist, ", The") - 1)
						artistList = artistList & trackArtist
						If Not artist.selectSingleNode("join") is Nothing Then artistList = artistList & " " & artist.selectSingleNode("join").Text & " "
					Next
I also fixed a problem with the track numbering. E.g.: If you were tagging track 4 on CD 1 (of two or more CDs), this script would output -4 as the track# because of "tracksNum.Add Right(position.Text,pos)" where pos = 2. However, this would only happen if the track# on Discogs.com was written as 4 (not 04!). Don't know if this makes any sense to you :P

Find: (line 183, v1.7.1)

If pos > 0 Then
					tracksCD.Add Left(position.Text,pos-1)
					tracksNum.Add Right(position.Text,pos)
				Else
Replace with:

If pos > 0 Then
					If Len(position.Text) < 4 Then
						tracksNum.Add Right(position.Text,pos-1)
					Else
						tracksNum.Add Right(position.Text,pos)
					End If
				Else
Let

Post by Let »

i've already fixed waku's bugfixes in the latest version (to be released soon). My solution for the position bug is:

If pos > 0 Then
					tracksNum.Add Right(position.Text,len(position.Text)-pos)
				Else
					tracksNum.Add position.Text
					tracksCD.Add 1
				End If
Let

Post by Let »

Anyway, you can click the link below for installing the latest version or you can use tool -> extensions -> find updates.

Install Version 2.0

So many changes and fixes on this release, so please be cautious.

- Brandnew result window
- Media type, country and release year filters for the results.
- Catalog number saving
- Involved artists saving
- Release id saving (can be disabled now)
- Artist name fixes
- Album artist fixes
- Position fixes

Warning: checkboxes nearby tracks are not working at this time, in next version tracks to use for tagging will be selectable.

I'll be glad to hear your comments on the new version.

Have a nice day,
Levent.
Let

Post by Let »

Made a little fix. (after setting filter behaves like it is already tagged with previously loaded result). Please upgrade to latest version:

Install Version 2.1

Happy tagging..