Automated Allmusic lookup

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

lukeprog

Automated Allmusic lookup

Post by lukeprog »

My main problem with CDDB or freedb or similar services is that I almost never have entire CDs on my hard drive - I only have songs that I actually like. As such, I can't look up any of my music on CDDB or freedb, which require an entire album. I'd like a service that can fill in missing ID3 tag information track-by-track. I've tried Moodlogic and MusicBrainz etc, but, well, they suck. Also, it shouldn't be necessary to develop an "audio fingerprint" if, for example, the "artist" and "song name" ID3 tags are there - everything else about the track should be able to be filled in just from that (if the program can assume you want info from teh earliest album on which the song appears).

To my knowledge, no such database exists without using the abovementioned audiofingerprints that take an unnecessary lot of time and processing power to develop the fingerprint and search it against an online database.

However, allmusic.com is a very extensive 'database' of artist, song, album and other related information, just waiting to be tapped. But as of yet, there is no program that can automatically do this - you'd have to look up the songs one by one in a browser and manually add the track information. For a few tracks, this is no problem. For thousands, this is totally impractical.

So, I'm wondering: first, is there a program that miraculously does what I've described already that I for some reason haven't heard of? And if not, would it be possible to use MediaMonkey scripts to do this (albiet, it'd be a very complicated script), or are MediaMonkey scripts simply not powerful enough for this?

I don't know anything about MediaMonkey scripts yet, so that's why I'm asking - perhaps the rest of you might know something.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well I don't know about the scripts. They might miss some of the needed stuff. Scripting might be updated after the release of MM 2.2.

MM is looking into a music lookup feature after many requests. When, what and how we will have to see.
lukeprog

Post by lukeprog »

Okay, interesting. Perhaps something like Musicmatch Jukebox has? I don't really know because their demo doesn't let you use it, but it SOUNDS nice. Has anyone used Musicmatch's super-tagging?
blue_francis14

super tagging

Post by blue_francis14 »

tried it. it's like windows media player's find album info which auto tags music info from a windowmeta site. not sure about this.

both mmj and wmp have the feature you needed... but still sucks but moodlogic even sucker (such a word?)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

well it would be suckier, but not sure if it is an official english word.

And let's hope MM sees this feature soon.
BrantFranz

Post by BrantFranz »

Hello Lukeprog,

Tag&Rename might help you. this soft uses allmusic in a very comfortable way.
http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

greetings