Duped Artists iPhone Music App Grouped By First and Last Names

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

chrisspangler99

Duped Artists iPhone Music App Grouped By First and Last Names

Post by chrisspangler99 »

Hello,
I tried to find a solution to my problem on the MMW Forum, but didn't get anything helpful. That said let me explain.

Details:
MMW Version: 4.1.25.1894 (latest)
Windows 10 user
iPhone: Brand new iPhone 8, 256 GB of storage (got an awesome price thru work)
iTunes version on PC?: 12.9
MMW experience 6 months, iTunes, 15 yrs.
Library size / location: ~24,000 songs, 98% stored locally on D: drive, 2% on C drive by mistake.
** Note: despite keeping iTunes around, I only sync with MMW. iTunes syncing is disabled.

Background:
I've spent about the last five months moving off of iTunes and over to MMW. It started when iTunes no longer supported the old iPod classic, but MMW did. In that time ironically my Classic died so I merged my music collection to my new iPhone 8 as my old iPhone 6 was dying also. Anyway through various iTunes updates, syncing, etc... about 15,000 songs properties (tags?) needed repair, which stressed me. I've spent many hours manually correcting typical properties in MMW (song title, album, album artist, genre, art work using Discogs Tagger).

So, feeling my library was in pristine shape I'd synced to my new iPhone 8. I'd say about 98% came over flawlessly where I typically navigate the iPhone Music app mostly by selecting an artist, then an album within an artist to listen to (yes I'm an album-oriented guy).

Annoyance (reason for my post):
I file artists by last name, first name. For bands names, just the band itself :), but both seem impacted. These are examples of separate artists I see when scanning by Artist in the Music app on my phone after syncing:

Bands:

Grateful Dead with "The Very Best of Grateful Dead" album, filed under G, artist artwork accurate
Grateful Dead with "What A Long Strange Trip It's Been: The Best of the Grateful Dead", filed under G, album art is the generic gray circle with a white microphone

Yeah Yeah Yeahs with 4 albums, filed under Y, artist artwork is accurate
Yeah Yeah Yeahs with 1 NPR live album downloaded, filed under Y, artist artwork is accurate

Individual artists:
Adams, Bryan with "Reckless", filed under A, artist artwork is accurate
Adams, Bryan with "So Far So Good", filed under A (so two consecutive, Adams, Bryans), artist artwork is generic gray circle w/ microphone

Bowie, David with 19 albums, filed under B, artist artwork is generic gray circle w/ microphone
Bowie, David with "Sound + Vision II", filed under D, artist artwork is accurate

Mike Doughty, 1 album, filed under M, artist artwork is accurate
Doughty, Mike, 13 albums, filed under D, artist artwork is generic gray circle w/ microphone

I know in MMW I had to correct many entries by updating the Album Artist field to match the Artist field in song's properties. Outside of that, I'm not sure where to make corrections.
Aren't song's file properties the way that tags are edited in MMW?

============
Annoyance #2:
Is there a way to update the artist artwork instead of the generic gray circle w/ microphone?
I thought I read in the support forum that apple pulls the artist artwork from Apple Music or the older iTunes store?
It seems I'm randomly missing many mainstream artists, (i.e. Black Crowes, Black Eyed Peas, Black Keys, Blink 182), however I have Black Flag, Black Sabbath and Blind Faith.
============
My only possible next step would be to remove the offending songs out of the MMW library and import them again, figuring I could correct the problem files again.

Anyway, I'm hoping others have had similar issues and can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance!!
Chris
Peke

Re: Duped Artists iPhone Music App Grouped By First and Last Names

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I've tested your settings with Touch and from my tests looks like problem is with Apple search for exact Match. I as getting mixed results while in MM5 all shows correctly with our search.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts