Create New Device Profiles

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

GMGJ

Create New Device Profiles

Post by GMGJ »

I still use mp3 players. Inexpensive, don't worry about losing them or having them stolen. Use with a decent 2 speaker and sub woofer system, fantastic. Good for dirty environments, wet environments etc. I got a no name rig off of Newegg and MM was able to create playlists and synch music. Yeah Monkey, but, this player is for shit. So I am looking around. See AGPtek on Amazon. Search device sync forum for AGPtek and see 4 entries for people confused about whats the problem with syncing. So what is involved in creating a new device plugin? Can mortals do it? Can we ask AGPTEK to send you devices to check? Are you guys going to support players in the future. BTW I am holding off on using things like Alexa, your friendly google home invasion companion until I can say, turn on Onkyo, HTPC, open MM, find playlist, check music mode and play in this room.
Lowlander

Re: Create New Device Profiles

Post by Lowlander »

A Device Profile is created when you attach a device. You can save it from the Device Profile.
GMGJ

Post by GMGJ »

I just connected my device. I do not no how to do what you suggest. Here is what I see? What should I do

I see tabs for:
Summary
Auto-Synch - Device
Auto-Synch - Library
Options

I do not use Auto Synch as my music files are take up 5 times the space as what's available on the device
Under Options -
I see

1) Lookup Device Online - I do not see this device
It might be nice to have a generic device profile, or a little utility that looks at the device and tries to figure out its capabilities

2) Import device - Form Where? What is file name / type ?

There is a MediaMonkey Directory with a files subdirectory

There is
"F:\MediaMonkey\files\StorageInfo.xml"

Contents

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?><storages version="1.0" storageGuid="e449d206-bfbd-4425-b772-79343fe09c45.0.15050b8b-21f5-43ed-93df-646edda7e041"></storages>

"F:\MediaMonkey\files\StorageInfo.xml.mmw"

Contents
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?><storages version="1.0" storageGuid="e449d206-bfbd-4425-b772-79343fe09c45.0.15050b8b-21f5-43ed-93df-646edda7e041"></storages>

"F:\MediaMonkey\files\usb_error_log.json"

Contents
[]

3) Export Device Options
4)Reset Device Options
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Export Device Options allows you to save the profile. Then you can Import it for any other device you want to use this Device Profile for.
GMGJ

Post by GMGJ »

Thank you. But I am still confused. But please bear with me. When you connect a device without a profile, how does MM know what it can do with it? With the cheapo device I mentioned in the first post in this series, the first time I tried to send a playlist, it copied over flac files that were not supported on the device. I fixed this by going into options and changing the Send to- folder (Rip/Convert) options. I can change the options for the device: Auto Conversion, File Locations, Tagging,Playlists etc. I get that we could, create a profile and export it, but, unless you new the device specifications , this would be mostly trial and error and requires us to do the testing. I am not knowledgeable about the hardware and software on these type players. I wrote this up for folks who use mp3 flash drives with Honda CRVs. https://garyjohnson53.wordpress.com/201 ... honda-crv/ This was all trial and error. It would be nice if someone how had expertise with these devices and MM wrote up what we can do.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Some devices tell MediaMonkey what they support when they're connected. However a flash drive obviously supports anything, it's the car unit that lacks support and this is something you'll have to check with its manual.