Playlists Won't Sync over USB

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

chris12dec

Playlists Won't Sync over USB

Post by chris12dec »

Hello, Please can you read about my difficulties and suggest what I am doing wrong?

I'm using MMW 4.1 and the latest MMA Pro 1.3.

I connected my phone to my PC by USB and was able to use Auto-Sync (to Device) to get my music over, as well as my playlists. I then disconnected the phone.

On MMA, I deleted a few playlists and created a new playlist. When I plugged the phone back in again, the directory for the SD card on the phone in Auto-Sync (to Library) correctly shows what playlists are now on the SD card. However, my Library won't update to show this, so in effect no actual syncing is happening. The directory on the left side for the SD card also shows the old playlists.

Then, I deleted some playlists in the library and on sync Media Monkey wanted to reinstate them from the phone! Shouldn't the most recent change be kept?

Am I wrong to assume that the software is designed to make the PC and phone have the same playlists, keeping whatever the most recent updates are?

I don't want to sync over Wi-Fi unless I have to.

Thank you for any help you can give.
Lowlander

Re: Playlists Won't Sync over USB

Post by Lowlander »

Which actual version of MMW are you using?

It depends on your settings, checking both the to and from PC tab in the Device Profile to make sure the appropriate options for syncing and deleting are selected.
chris12dec

Post by chris12dec »

Hello,

Thanks for replying. It's version 4.1.21.1875 of MMW and 1.3.2.0824 of MMA.

I don't understand why when I delete playlists from my phone, when I plug my phone in, MMW tries to tell me that my phone still has these playlists and asks me whether I want to copy them to the computer.

Generally, the syncing between MMW and MMA of playlists seems to not work at all. Please can you confirm if it was never the intention for playlists to update from one device to the other? Also, how am I supposed to stop phantom playlists on my phone from coming up as suggestions to be copied to my computer?

Also, I don't seem to be able to delete these phantom playlists on my phone which also happen to appear in the menu tree on the left of the screen on my PC. Right click > delete doesn't work. Was that also part of the design?

Thank you for any ideas you may have.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you delete the Playlists in MMA or from the device directly?
chris12dec

Post by chris12dec »

Hi,

I deleted them in MMA. They aren't there anymore in playlists in MMA, but MMW thinks they are when I plug in my phone.

Are you saying that the playlists don't ret removed from the actual phone's memory, and in fact all I'm doing is hiding them when in MMA?

Thank you.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you able to locate and delete the Playlist files on your device?

Once you've done this, report back if this issue pops up again in the future.
debedis

Post by debedis »

I am also having this issue and have had it for years. I have used an S3, S5 and S8 and always the playlist syncing is dubious. Sometimes it works and alot of the time it doesnt. If I look at the Playlist in MM on PC the Playlist set is completely different to the set on MM for Android. Today I rearranged alot of my music and streamlined my playlists on PC ie made a Playlist Folder to store Rock playlists in, Classical playlists in, etc and have spent the last 6 hrs trying to get my S8 to sync correctly. For some reason it pulls out every Playlist I have ever created and lists them all individually but wont copy it over as is displayed on the PC. I am so frustrated with this supposedly simple job that I am starting to look for a better Music Manager. It is driving me nuts. I have worked my way through quite a few of the posts on here trying to see what I am doing wrong (if anything!) and nothing has helped.

Any help would be appreciated. Yes I have reinstalled 4x on Android trying different set ups and yes I have the current PC version.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please provide more details. What do you mean with
debedis wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 am For some reason it pulls out every Playlist I have ever created and lists them all individually but wont copy it over as is displayed on the PC.
Which version of MMW and MMA and are you doing a USB sync?

Playlist sync works fine here on an S5 with wifi sync.
debedis

Post by debedis »

I think it is the primary file structure? Does that make sense? ie I have Playlist 1 2 3 4 and I create a folder Playlist A to hold Playlist 1 2 3 4. On my MMW this works fine as I can then select Playlist A which drops down the Playlists inside the folder. When I sync from MMW to MMA it seems to pull out it to the Playlist 1 2 3 4 again. (When you have 50 Playlists it is really useful to be able to make a more efficient file structure and group them.) Occasionally it will copy it across successfully but not very often. I am using USB sync not wifi sync. Havent paid for pro because I am not that happy with the syncing ability from day 1 of using MM so didnt want to spend my money on something that wont sync properly.

MMW 4.1.21.1875
MMA 1.3.2.0824

Another issue is that there is always a selection of music it cant sync. Personally it hasnt bothered me as it is the kids music but I dont understand why it wont sync it when it can play it on MMW.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you saying that your issue is that Playlists don't show nested in MMA like they do in MMW? That too works here.
debedis

Post by debedis »

Works using Wifi or Cable?
Nested... yeah I suppose so.

Given the number of threads throughout this forum on Syncing issues there is obviously something/s that doesnt work right for a lot of people. Syncing over USB cable has never worked particularly well for me and I have been using MM for 5yrs now on 3 different phones and multiple different cables.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

debedis

Post by debedis »

Thanks Lowlander but none of that helps. If it was as simple as reading a help file I would have fixed the problem. Unfortunately I also realise it makes it difficult for you to troubleshoot as well as all the usual stuff doesnt work.

As I said previously... I have been using this software for many years now on multiple devices and I have troubleshooted my way through alot of stuff. Mediamonkey isnt that complex in regards to installation Options. It just doesnt sync consistently on my devices... no idea why, especially when it will work one time for a sync, and I dont change anything on the software apart from add new songs and new playlists, and it wont sync the next time.

Ultimately Syncing does work in that the music and the playlists are there... just the playlists are not arranged the same (PC v Android) anymore. I might just have to work out a way to arrange the Playlists so that it syncs in a more manageable/uncluttered style.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That works for me, but I only do wifi sync. You can capture USB sync issues in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=12&t=69

With sync problems it is key to supply debug logs as there are way to many variables at play resulting in many users setups being fairly unique.