[SOLVED] Lost Device Configuration

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

ghines

[SOLVED] Lost Device Configuration

Post by ghines »

I use MM 4.1.20.1864 for managing my music library and also syncing music to a number of iPods, iPads and iPhones. Each has a slightly different configuration (on-the-fly conversions, different music etc.). Until recently, each time I connected a device, it would remember that configuration from the last time and any syncs I did just involved syncing the changes that had taken place in the MM library ... which is what I expect.

MM has lost all the configuration settings for all my devices and treats each device as something it's not seen before. My question is where are these configurations stored because I've probably got a backup of them somewhere and it would be easier to restore them than create them anew (especially as doing this seems to make MM re-sync the whole device which is >10,000 tracks for some devices).
Lowlander

Re: Lost Device Configuration

Post by Lowlander »

ghines

Post by ghines »

It's done it again! Lost the device configurations and now wants to sync the whole thing again as if it had never seen the devices before. This is getting frustrating, not to mention time-consuming.

Are the device configurations in MM.DB or INI files? I've looked in the INI files and can't see anything. From the link you posted, it would seem that they're in MM.DB.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, in the database file mm.db not the configuration mediamonkey.ini file.
ghines

Post by ghines »

I've had a look at the tables 'Devices' and 'SyncGenre'.

All 7 of my devices have rows in Devices but only 3 of them have corresponding rows in SyncGenre. I assume that when I configure a device to sync certain genres, then each genre creates a row in this table. Devices that I have only very recently synced (i.e. in the past couple of weeks) now no longer have SyncGenre rows. What could make MediaMonkey delete these rows?

Or is MediaMonkey seeing these devices as new? How does it recognise a device that it's seen before? I know it's not from the name of the device because I've changed these in the past on the device and MM still shows the old name of the device.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For Apple devices this is odd and uncommon. A debug log (step 4b) may show why: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=12&t=69
doney6012

Post by doney6012 »

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it appears I have had the same issue. My Moto G4 Plus had been synchronising up until this point (barring tagging issues that had been resolved recently) but today, when I plugged it in, MMW showed that the selected playlists had been unchecked and the program didn't know what to do with the device. I have since just cleared the app data on the phone, reformatted the SD card and just synced from scratch, hoping that this will resolve the issue.

My PC had recently updated to the latest version of Windows 10. In the past these updates haven't seemed to have affected anything, but could this be the case this time? I'm just thinking out loud, as the sync data for MMW is kept under the USER folder, could this have been modified by a system update?
ghines

Post by ghines »

Feel free to hi-jack! The more background we can get to the problem, the better the chances of solving it.

As far as I can tell, the configuration data for syncing devices is not held in files in the USER area but in the MM.DB file which, although it is in the USER area, is an SQL database that I can't imagine Windows getting inside and messing about with. Unless there's some malicious software kicking around that is opening the database and selectively deleting data, then it must be something that MM is doing itself for some reason.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For Android devices MediaMonkey uses an ID per storage. If this ID is changed/lost a new device profile is created.
SolidSnark

Post by SolidSnark »

This thing it does with creating unneeded new profiles is... irritating. Is there a way to copy the configuration from the old profile to the new one? Or fix it so the old one works?

There's a lot of work in picking files that I'd hate to lose.
ghines

Post by ghines »

I'm afriad I gave up on using MM for syncing. I have now reverted to using iTunes which, for syncing, is very reliable. I still use MM for organising my library as iTunes falls far short on library management functionality. It's a pain in the neck but I couldn't afford to waste any more time getting MM to sync reliably.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can't copy sync selection from 1 profile to the other.

Which version of MMW and MMA are you using?
SolidSnark

Post by SolidSnark »

I'm using Media Monkey Windows v4.1.24.1883.

I'm not using MMA in this scenario. (Although that might be a nightmare way to do it by swapping SD cards around.) The Cayin just mounts as a USB drive and it should be copying files directly to the SD card.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Do you have MMA installed on Device?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
SolidSnark

Post by SolidSnark »

Nope. It's not android based. It goes strictly off the file system. You have to manually rebuild the library on the device after you change/add/delete any files.