Issues with syncing and album artwork

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Carnadyne

Issues with syncing and album artwork

Post by Carnadyne »

I'm having some issues with album artwork. I will try to explain this as best I can.

I have a large collection of songs for which I have deleted all embedded artwork (both embedded in tags and artwork located in album folders).
I have created my own artwork for each genre (both jpg and png format).
I want to assign these custom images to selected songs.
When I go into the file properties editor and upload the new artwork everything seems to be working fine, when the play the song the new artwork is shown.

The problem is when I sync the songs with my handheld device.
The files upload to the device and are playable but the artwork shown for each song is from about 2 years ago.
I cannot find a way to eliminate these old images, I have tried deleting all cache areas, I have cleared all data, even uninstalled and re-installed the MM app again.
I have used a third party app to delete all artwork, and I have also tried using MP3Tag to attach my own custom images.

Everytime I try to sync with my device the old 2 year old image is attached to each song.

I have noticed everytime the device syncs it creates a file called albumart.jpg in the current folder which contains the old 2 year old image. If I replace the file with the new one, it works until I sync again then it is replaced with the 2 year old image again.

I have gone through all the settings in MM for hours now and I cannot get any different results.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem or knows how to fix it?
Lowlander

Re: Issues with syncing and album artwork

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey syncs 1 Artwork per Album. If you see this old Artwork there may be 1 or more files on the Album that still have this Artwork associated.
joepet

Post by joepet »

I am having a similar problem with artwork and would certainly appreciate some help:
I have latest MMW on my Win 10 PC. I have MMA Pro on my FiiO X7.
I get the artwork the way I want it on MMW but when I sync to MMA sometimes it is the same and sometimes it is not....very frustrating. I have noticed that when the music files on my PC are arranged by album, there seems to be no problems, i.e. the art in MMA matches that in MMW. However I had a situation where the songs were from a greatest hits album.....so I decided to revise the art for each song to match the art from the album where the song was first introduced. I did that in MMW with no problems but when I synced MMA kept the art from the greatest hits album. So I revised the files in the library on my PC removing the Greatest Hits album folder and files and just rescaned the songs in MMW with the correct album titles and artwork but all listed under the artist (so there was not album folder for each album). When I synced to MMA the artwork was about 50% correct and 50% wrong. This should not be this difficult!
I have tried changing the Device, Options, Tagging with no luck. How should that be configured?
Joe
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Folder organization has no bearing on this. As said MediaMonkey syncs 1 Artwork per Album as seem by MMW. Another factor that could interfere is that the files were already on the device.
joepet

Post by joepet »

You are 100% correct.
I changed folder organization, refreshed library, synced and this had no effect.
The problem was with files already on the machine.
In USB mode I deleted the folder with the artist (ABBA). Then I synced again. Everything this is perfect!
There is likely an easier way to do this that does not resort to using USB mode, but I sync only using playlists and I am afraid to select removing files on MMA when syncing for fear of losing files I don't want to lose.
Thanks

Joe
JamesBrad

Anyway around the album art sync issue?

Post by JamesBrad »

So I just got Media Monkey on my phone and computer and I noticed when I sync to my phone a bunch of the album art is wrong. After searching the web I found some old forum posts that basically say if two songs from the same album have different artwork, they will both have the same artwork when synced to your phone. Even if the artists are different, it still does this. I think if the album artist is different they artwork will also be different, but I'm not completely sure.

Anyway, this "feature" is incredibly annoying and I would like to find a solution that doesn't involve editing the metadata of over 1000 songs. A few hundred of my songs are blank for the album and album artist (yet the still have artwork), and because of this, they all have the same album art. So yeah... not a fan of that.

Also why? Why would the developers include this? I don't think it's a bug since it's been around for awhile. An oversight maybe?

Here are the old forum posts that I found: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87930 and https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89294

They don't offer any easy solutions.

I should also add that I do not care about album artists. I will assign each song a different number as the album artist if that is what it takes to solve this. Although some advice on how to automate that would be nice. But I'll do it one at a time if need be.
Peke

Re: Anyway around the album art sync issue?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you use MMA as you primary player you can change sync mask so that each track goes to separate folder and that would tell MMA to use different artworks.

We are already working on much better solution for MMA 2.0
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If Album Artist is different than files with the same Album value will be considered separate Albums (for each Album Artist value). Thus you should see separate Artwork in MMA for those.
JamesBrad

Re: Anyway around the album art sync issue?

Post by JamesBrad »

Peke wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:34 pm Hi,
If you use MMA as you primary player you can change sync mask so that each track goes to separate folder and that would tell MMA to use different artworks.

We are already working on much better solution for MMA 2.0
Thanks for the response Peke

I meant to make a new post, but I guess I accidentally posted a reply to this post I was viewing by mistake. Oh well. So how would I go about doing changing the sync masks to solve this? I'll be honest I don't even know what you mean by "sync masks".
And if there is a solution coming out with 2.0 I might just wait until then. About when do you think it will be released?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MMA 2.0 is in early internal test.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts