4 days with Ipod Classic 160 and MediaMonkey 4.1.19.1859

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

SandRockHeatSun

4 days with Ipod Classic 160 and MediaMonkey 4.1.19.1859

Post by SandRockHeatSun »

Please understand that this is a long post but If anyone can please help me to sync my formatted Ipod Classic 160 with MediaMonkey 4.1.19.1859, I really would appreciate it so much.

I have a fully good working Ipod Classic 160GB and I have used Mediamonkey in the distant past to sync/load music album files to it (appx 70GB of mp3 files) in album folders and individual mp3 files all in one session

- have windows 7Pro and a MM Gold lifetime license MediaMonkey 4.1.19.1859

- wanted to reload all my original file folders and add many additional album folders (total 18118 files 105.5GB) no playlists, no podcasts, no video…etc just albums (mp3s) and folders with mp3s in to this ipod like the last time I did it (but I don’t remember how and the MM features have changed) so I decided to begin from a formatted ipod

- have formatted the ipod using the windows format regular format (not quick format) like its just another drive.

-I have read through the many ipod related threads in this forum. I read this http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... ibrary.htm

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... Tracks/4.0

-have tried many times to load/sync this ipod using Mediamonkey and tried to “save”? my music folders from my ext HD to the MM library (wherever that is?) and then tried to synchronize the ipod. Nothing happened

Im not trying to violate Rule#4* “Don't create posts that are duplicates of others or if the subject already exists, as this ends up wasting other's time, and spreads relevant information across multiple threads. For example, if a thread already exists for a particular script, enter the question in that thread.”…and Rule#6 …I hope that I am posting this in the correct forum (please move this to the proper forum thread if necessary)…but…

-have read many posts on the forum for syncing but most of the info/instruction is outdated, cryptic, the features or settings controls cant be found, versions have changed or relates to other devices or even phones…or I just cant understand the directions or instructions -I read that I need ipod drivers for a load/sync to work but I will not use Itunes at all ever again never ever if at all possible.(unless I absolutely have to)

- have tried to use CopyTransDriversInstaller (just the ipod drivers from it, not the full CT version) – it detected my ipod and automatically applied drivers to it.

-have tried to “save”? my music folders from my ext HD to the MM library (wherever that is?) and then tried to synchronize the ipod. Nothing happened

-so I copied the entire bunch of folders from my ext HD to the ipod (they would play in MM and vlc) and I guess it was put in the wrong location because after I disconnected…the ipod said “no music” but if I reconnected it, they would play in MM and VLC.

It seemed to be working but when I right click on iPod(H:) and select Safely Remove Device, I disconnected the ipod properly, the ipod says “no music” but if I reconnected it, they would show up in the MM panel and in windows and play in MM and VLC.

These files can be read in windows (I use VLC Media Player) and these music files can be read and play in MM but after disconnecting the connector to the ipod, the ipod says ”no music”

-using MM I deleted all the content of the music folder in the ipod and tried it again and somehow the ipod folders loaded some kind of F0 F1…F49 kind of mess and in windows, the files were named some kind of 4 letter nonsense and all the albums were all scattered among the FF folders but they would play in MM and VLC.

I tried to sync again but instead of overwriting the folders and files, it just bloated the ipod (and probably the library?) beyond capacity and failed so I had to nuke my library and start all over like this:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=62538

that part of this problem worked

I have formatted/wiped the ipod again using the windows format like its just another drive.

I connected the formatted ipod

I used CopyTransDriversInstaller (just the ipod drivers from it, not the full CT version) – it detected my ipod and automatically applied drivers to it.

–it listed as iPod(H:) in MM and H:\ [ADMIN’S IPO] windows

I saved all music mp3 files from external F drive music backup mp3 files folder “My Music” folder to MM library (18411 files 105.2 gb)

Right clicked iPod(H:) and clicked sync

Synced 18411 files 105.2 gb -that took a long time appx 2 hrs which may or may not include folders, album cover pictures…etc

In MM I clicked on drive H:\ [ADMIN’S IPO] , ipod_control folder has 5 subfolders named All, Artwork, Device, iTunes, Music

Music subfolder contains only 2 subfolders, All(18411 files 105.2 gb)
and F0-1(17572 files, 100.3 gb)

F0-1 contains 1 subfolder named All(17572 files, 100.3 gb)

When I click on the F0-1 folder MM panel fills up slowly with (17572 files, 100.3 gb)all the copied music? maybe some is missing-folders, missing-metadata,…missing mp3 files??? but the filenames have been shortened (Titles, Artist, Album, Genre… are ok)

In windows, I clicked on drive H:\ [ADMIN’S IPO] Properties (18411 files 105.2 gb) the ipod F0-1 folder Properties (17572 files, 100 gb) and filenames have been very shortened and I cant tell what the names of the songs, albums…etc are

But when I click on them from Windows and they’re played in VLC Media Player, (Titles, Artist, Album, Genre… are ok)

In MM when I click on iPod(H:) the “Capacity Bar” horizontal thing at the bottom of the panel shows Capacity 148.9GB, Blue-Audio 105.2GB, and Yellow-Other 2.4 GB, White-Free 41.3GB

When I right click on iPod(H:) and select Safely Remove Device

The ipod front screen says ok to disconnect. I disconnect the ipod properly from the connector, and after about 20 seconds the ipod says “English” and I click on that and the ipod says “No Music” that keeps happening every time I try to sync

I only want a one-time loading of mp3 files in the original album folders from my external hard drive to the ipod like I did years ago.

What am I doing wrong?

Do you think using CopyTransDriversInstaller (just the ipod drivers from it, not the full CT version) could be a problem? Is there other ipod drivers (please not itunes) ?

Does MM have ipod drivers for a formatted ipod?

I never had this much trouble in the past and there are new features that weren’t around when I did this the last time with new settings that I can’t understand…

I am no good with computers and so please spell it all out detailed step by step.

This has taken up more than 4 days of time due to the big formats, big file copys, long scans, incorrect settings, long synching …etc

Please help me. Im sure others have gone through this and made it work. ThankYou.
yarguy

Re: 4 days with Ipod Classic 160 and MediaMonkey 4.1.19.1859

Post by yarguy »

I take that you want all your music on the iPod Classic so that they will play on the iPod. If that is correct, there is a much simpler way to do that.

1. Use iTunes to Restore the iPod. You will need to do this to get rid of everything you have done which as you indicate has not been a success. (I guess you wanted to delete iTunes, but use it just this once, at least. No one is going to report you to Cupertino.)

2. Once the iPod has been restored you should see the iPod listed near the bottom of the media tree in the left side of Media Monkey. (If not, disconnect the iPod and reconnect it.) Click on this and then on the Auto-Sync tab.

3. Under collections on the Auto-Sync tab you should find a check box called Music. Click it to check it. Then click Apply and then the Auto sync button next to Apply.

4. MM should start syncing all your music to the iPod.

5. Wait until the sync is done then disconnect you iPod and enjoy your music.
Peke

Re: 4 days with Ipod Classic 160 and MediaMonkey 4.1.19.1859

Post by Peke »

Only thing I would Add is that if iTunes is started it can interfere with MMW communicating the ipod.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts