iPhone and iPad sync is very slow

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

erdie

Re: iPhone and iPad sync is very slow

Post by erdie »

Not just me who is having this problem. Last week I "upgraded" to MM 4.1.0.1692 and I wish I hadn't.

I only wanted to add a couple of track to my ipod touch 5g, but I have had nothing but problems since. Every time I connect to MM now, it wants to synch every track again. This is bad enough, but it is so slow synching. It seems to start off pretty fast, then gets to about 2000 tracks and then goes slow. I thought it was because some of my music has to be converted that was taking so long, but even tracks that are being copied over seem to be taking a long time. Twice this week I have left my ipod connected and MM running overnight. When I got up this morning, it hadn't finished the synch and instead made my pc crash.

I am wondering if it is worth going back to an older version of MM or even itune.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you're using Auto-Sync it will only sync what you've set to be synced in the Device Profile.
erdie

Post by erdie »

It is Resynching the library everytime I connect the ipod.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It should only sync what you selected in the Device Profile (did you check it) and even then it should only sync any new files, existing files should be skipped. If that's not what you experience I suggest starting with a clean slate (wipe device of media) and then sync again (make sure only what you want synced is selected).

If it still resyncs existing files I suggest capturing a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=12&t=69
ezdropper

Post by ezdropper »

And the slowness continues... Still takes forever to sync to the Ipod Touch 60GB. Syncs several songs and then gets hung on one. Then it starts syncing again a minute later.
Last edited by ezdropper on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
komarek

Post by komarek »

I am also having very slow scan/sync issues with my ipod classic. It takes seemingly forever to scan the hard drive (used to take a couple of minutes in mm v3 even with 20,000 + tracks). I have just installed MM4 - resisted the upgrade - this is the most annoying part. Can you undo whatever you "upgraded" re big ipods?

--pk---
Buruan

Post by Buruan »

Add one for extremely slow sync. MMW 4.1.1692
Iphone 4s IOS 7.1

Synch gets hung for minutes at a time on one song.
erdie

Post by erdie »

Buruan wrote:Add one for extremely slow sync. MMW 4.1.1692
Iphone 4s IOS 7.1

Synch gets hung for minutes at a time on one song.
That is exactly the same thing that is happening on mine.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The same still stands:
Lowlander wrote:Then create a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... f=12&t=341
Buruan

Post by Buruan »

I will do the log soon, been travelling and not at my home computer for a while.

From what I have been reading this problem seems to occur across all devices when syncing a large number of songs.
When I sync smaller sets <5000 Songs I dont seem to have a problem, but the large set > 10000 Songs seem to cause the excruciatingly slow sync times.

Would love to hear if someone has had success with large library syncs?

Maybe that will give the Devs something to look at ??
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I only sync about 2500 files to my iPhone but I also experience slow sync times since MM 4.1. I am working on providing logs to the devs.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
FFF

Post by FFF »

I have the same problem syncronizing with iphone 4. This is a persistant problem that also occured in previous versions. What is the point of a music management system as sophisticated as MediaMonkey if you can't syncronize quickly with your device? I hate to say it but, I think that I'm going to have to return itunes.?¡?$%&!!!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nohitter151 wrote:I only sync about 2500 files to my iPhone but I also experience slow sync times since MM 4.1. I am working on providing logs to the devs.
So after much experimenting I am no longer able to reproduce the issue. It seemed to be a problem with iOS version 7.0, because once I updated it to 7.1.1 on my iPhone 4, the sync speed went right back to normal. (the iPhones performance is also much better in general).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
komarek

Post by komarek »

Sync is still extremely slow with my ipod. Takes minutes to figure out what is on the device, then achingly slow to sync tracks.
andrew110

Post by andrew110 »

Just noticed if you start with an empty library on your iOS device syncing works fine, but when you do an auto-sync the second time it hangs/gets VERY slow around the 40th song.

For people having issues try deleting everything in your iTunes_Control folder using iFunbox or something similar. Reboot your phone and make sure the Music app has no content. Resync and see if it works for you.

I've tried this method on an iPhone 5C jailbroken with 7.0.4 and an iPhone 5S with 7.1.1. Both devices would hang/get VERY slow on the second sync after ~35-40 songs but work fine when starting "fresh". If you only add one or two albums per sync after the first sync it works fine as well (less than 35-40 songs).

Using 4.1.2 beta on Windows 7x64