AT MY WIT'S END! (playlists for Cowon X7 and Sansa Clip +)

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

adamk

AT MY WIT'S END! (playlists for Cowon X7 and Sansa Clip +)

Post by adamk »

I know, I'm sure you've heard it all before, but I really am approaching a state of catalepsy over MM and my own inability to fully understand it. Last year I purchased a Cowon x7 - lovely machine, beautiful sound, my pride and joy. Drawback: I cannot create playlists using MM. I ended up with several files called "Gym" (my playlist name) but they're empty. As my previous machine was an iRiver ihp40 and I had no problems with playlists with that, it was frustrating. I haunted forums for ages, being talked at and talked down at and had cryptic, unexplained advice offered (I still can't undestand MTP v MSC, for instance). There was a way, it turned out: it meant re-loading all my files, opening MM inside the device and running it from there and...oh, using a second bit of software alongside it. It was so arduous and complicated I gave up. Does it really need a degree in computer technology? Anyway, as my playlist is for the gym anyway, I recently bought a Sansa Clip+, much more useful for the environment and....well, what do you know? I can't get playlists to load up onto the machine with this using MM, either.

I've gone back to the forums, I've searched, and so far can only pick up fragments of threads that I still don't understand. My plea is this: can anyone, simply and clearly, tell me how this is done? Creating a playlist is fine, but every time I try to export it over, it comes up empty, for both machines. I am truly beginning to think that MM just isn't up to it, and am more than happy for someone to set me straight. :x

Thanking you in advance.
Last edited by Lowlander on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
rovingcowboy

Re: AT MY WIT'S END! (playlists for Cowon X7 and Sansa Clip

Post by rovingcowboy »

Well we need more information from you.
Such as,
1. How are you trying to put the playlist on the hand held device.

2. How are you exporting the playlists.

3. What format of playlist does the hand held device need to be able to see it.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Looking at the X7 manual I dont see anything about playlists ...
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

I have three Sansas and all sync flawlessly with MM. I ALWAYS auto-snc; the Sansa is set to USB mode MTP, go to Tools>Options>Portable/Audio Devices, find the Sansa and configure it. Works the same whether syncing to internal or external (micro SD card) memory. You have to configure internal and external separately.

Good luck.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'll need to figure out what Playlist format (M3U, PLA or PLS) your device accepts. Then you go into the Device Profile and see what MediaMonkey syncs (you should upgrade to the latest MediaMonkey 4.1 beta from the Beta Forum and remove the device profile to fix some bugs). In the Supported Formats you can change the Playlist format used. You also have Playlists settings in the Device Profile which may require some trial and error to figure out which settings are required.
Hagar

Post by Hagar »

The Cowon X7 supports M3U and yet the playlist will have all the music files listed, it shows as empty in the player.

Lets get a fix.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For M3U you have Extended M3U and the basic M3U format and you need to know if Paths need to be absolute or relative.
swinter

Re: AT MY WIT'S END! (playlists for Cowon X7 and Sansa Clip +)

Post by swinter »

My solution for this is that as the X7 M3U playlist needs to know the path to the selected files in your playlist, you have to make sure that you are selecting tracks that are sitting on the device and not your hard drive in your computer.

This may sound crazy, but basically I have scanned both the device and my computer hard drive into the MM library, so I have every track listed twice. One that shows its location on the computer's hard drive an another that shows its location on the X7. So I would have a track listed on my F drive and again on the E drive. If I want to make a playlist I make sure I only select the E drive version. Once created I export the M3U playlist to the X7 player and it plays every time.

Hope this helps, I have loads and loads of playlists that work just fine.

Thanks