Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

ScottieB

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Post by ScottieB »

Even with MTP?

I've read that MTP Android doesn't allow play count sync (somewhere on this board and elsewhere).

In my own tests, I can get the phone to sync, and I finally got playlists to work. I play some tracks on MMAndroid, sync again, and play counts are not updated.

My experience matches some of what I've read about MTP, but still some say it should work...

Edit: here are some places I've read it:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=69234
(a poll about whether people use MSC or MTP - one user says "(I use) MSC on my Android phone, because I use MSC for fast file exchange anyway and because Android doesn't support some important tags with MTP, so I use my MSC sync script with PlayerPro (MMA still misses some features I need").

And here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=68076
(a script for syncing play counts with PlayerPro for Android) it says:
"If your device supports USB mass storage (MSC), please use Sync back ratings & play counts (MSC) instead!
Some Android devices like Samsung Galaxy S3 don't support MSC, but only MTP (Media Player). Alternatives are rooting and Easy UMS or using the external SD card directly on the PC. As Android MTP doesn't support ratings and play count, Auto-Sync is unable to sync them, so you can use this script instead.

I wouldn't mind using a script but I'd actually prefer to use MediaMonkey Android on my phone. But so far counts are not updating during auto sync.

I'm going to try this MSC thing and see if it works.

***EDIT - MSC didn't help. Windows saw the phone as a CD drive, and while I could see the files on the card, it didn't show as a device in MediaMonkey.

Still no play count sync for me and my Note2, though :(
Killjoy12

Post by Killjoy12 »

I'm still having wireless sync issues with the latest MMA and MMW on my S3 64GB. Are there still known outstanding issues with this? I have deleted all the device profile and rebuilt from scratch, but it still seems to error on the last file copy. I really want to use MMA but this issue has been present throughout the beta cycle for me. I'm wondering now if its just my phone or if this is still a known issue. Thanks
nebbiag

Post by nebbiag »

Killjoy12 wrote:I'm still having wireless sync issues with the latest MMA and MMW on my S3 64GB. Are there still known outstanding issues with this? I have deleted all the device profile and rebuilt from scratch, but it still seems to error on the last file copy. I really want to use MMA but this issue has been present throughout the beta cycle for me. I'm wondering now if its just my phone or if this is still a known issue. Thanks
I have an S2 32GB, and I'm in the same situation. MTP sync works great, which is nice to see, but wireless not so.
schwinn8

Post by schwinn8 »

I just completed a full, new, fresh install of Win7 x64 on my computer. This is in-parallel with my previous WinXP install, which has the problems mentioned before.

The good news is that when the phone is seen by MM, it completes "scanning" in about 2-3 minutes, which is a HUGE improvement over the XP behavior (>30 minutes).

I did notice that for some reason, when connecting the phone, Windows often complains saying that the phone's "ID" could not be determined. I have to unplug and replug it to make it finally "show up properly" in Win7. Sometimes, rebooting is required. So, there must be something more going on in Windows to cause these problems (aka, the complaints people have had about the Samsung MTP drivers, in general).

Also, even when properly detected, sometimes still MM swaps the phone/card locations. This makes for problems with syncing, of course...

Lastly, even after I completed a full, new sync on the phone, I disconnected, then did a resync, and MM still seemed to need to push 21 more files over. Not sure why it's "missing" some files, but it seems to be.

So, my fresh install of Win7 and MM is a slight improvement, but certainly not the way it should work. Sad to see this with a program I paid good money for. Funny thing is, Winamp does syncing wirelessly BEAUTIFULLY. The only issue there is that there's no config to push them to the SDcard, but at least it works - pretty damn well, I must say. Why can't MM do this?!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4.1 with MediaMonkey for Android can wifi sync to both internal and external memory. Both are still in beta though so problems may occur.
schwinn8

Post by schwinn8 »

Lowlander wrote:MediaMonkey 4.1 with MediaMonkey for Android can wifi sync to both internal and external memory. Both are still in beta though so problems may occur.
While that's a nice idea, I don't have the desire to fiddle around with Beta software. I've spent far too much time on this software with RELEASED versions.

It's just sad to see that MM is so far behind WinAmp in this regard. This thread, alone, has been around for 9 months, with no real solution in sight. While I may be able to help troubleshoot, it shouldn't have to fall upon the users to get things working.

In any case, I also wanted to point out the solution to my "Hardware ID missing" error in Win7. Apparently, many people face this, and the solution here seems to be working for me, for now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... 400&page=2 - the point being that MS might be trying to load internet drivers (even though my computer is set NOT to do this) and/or the "newer" Samsung drivers (I was using 1.5.14.0) may be part of the problem. I will try to resync phones again later, but at least this one error appears to be resolved (appears because I have only tested it on my phone, for a few iterations... need to get my wife's on here too).
schwinn8

Post by schwinn8 »

So, resolving the Hardware ID issue seems to have slowed down the sync as before. The old driver seems to be very slow, while the new driver has other issues.

Maybe it's time for me to move on to Winamp after all, since it seems to work, at least.
consultant

Post by consultant »

Add me to the list of S3 MM syncing troubles. I've got the problem now for some reason that MM is swapping the 'card' and 'phone' identifiers ('phone' is actually the card.) I'm AT&T, rooted, but using stock ROM. Seems this device in general is a bit problematic on connecting to Windows. Sometimes I have issues (can't move files to card). Sometimes turning USB debug mod (in Dev Settings) on or off makes the difference. Could be I'm using Win8 is exacerbating it? But, I just have to remember to sync to 'phone' instead of card. I've always had the problem though of some playlists not syncing and have to re-sync again and finally they usually come through. I may just start taking the card out and syncing directly with the card - I assume that fixes everything.

While the phone is better than iPhone (for an advanced user like me) I must admit I miss the fairly trouble free playlist/song sync I had with my iPhone.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

consultant wrote:I just have to remember to sync to 'phone' instead of card.
You can manually rename devices in the Media Tree when they're connected via USB.
consultant

Post by consultant »

Lowlander wrote:
consultant wrote:I just have to remember to sync to 'phone' instead of card.
You can manually rename devices in the Media Tree when they're connected via USB.
Thanks.

Well it seems the file copying issue may be related to MM (even though I have successfully synced a few times). After connecting the device I did some tests in windows explores copying a file to the card and then deleted it. Did it for about 10 min off and on. Started MM, let it scan the phone and card. Then I could no longer copy files in Windows explorer to the phone/card, only browse the folders.

So I gave up. Just popped the microSD card out put it in the computer, synced directly with the card. Worked like a charm. A bit of a hassle taking the case, then the phone back off to take the card in and out but the S3 doesn't seem to mind and I don't sync more than once a week. No issues with playlists missing, etc. Just had to do a rescan in Poweramp. Semi-happy now! :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note that MediaMonkey 4.1 may improve USB sync as well as has the option of wifi sync when using the MediaMonkey for Android App (circumventing any USB issues).
Drapper1

Post by Drapper1 »

It is a pitty after using MM for many years to see it become an iTunes like program. It started as a small fast and convenient program to become a really heavy one with issues from one release to another.

Switching from iPhone (where I had to use it in combination with itunes after each iOs release) to Samsung GS3 only made things worse. I spent all my weekend trying everything fellow users have posted to no avail.

Even using latest beta did not resolve anything. And if Samsung has a part in this then I still face issues with my Acer Iconia android tablet (especially after ICS and JB releases).

I am ashamed to say that the best solution I found is to use MM to sync to itunes through the addon driver/module and then use easy phone transfer for s3 and windows to transfer my music from itunes. Needing 4 applications in total for a proper playlist sync is wrong!
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Just as another user i have to ask ... so what are the problems?? i dont see them in your post but i probably just missed them.

I have been using MM for quite some time and started with the beta and MMA when MMA became available. I also have a samsung GS3 and it is working very well .. syncing without issues (though there are probably things I haven't tried).

Have you created your own topic and listed the problems? Just wondering
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Killjoy12

Post by Killjoy12 »

Some of us with S3 are having issues. Mine has a 64GB card, and some have suspected that is the issue. I'm not really sure what more I can say on the issue, except sync consistently fails on my device, so I end up with incomplete playlists and missing files. None of the updates have worked; nor have the suggestions that I've seen.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I have a 32gig card. Have you tried other than 64gig?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig