Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

SternByName

Samsung Galaxy S3 sync: FAT32 experience

Post by SternByName »

SUMMARY: My experience indicates that FAT32 formatting allows correct syncing if the card is empty, but still failure if there is music already present from an earlier sync.

Set-up: Samsung Galaxy S3 with 64GB Sandisk Ultra SDXC card, MediaMonkey V4.0.6.1501, Windows 7.
11,500 files, all mp3, with configuration to convert high quality files to 128kbps

Card was exFAT format. Tried to sync music collection. Over 2000 failed to sync with a 'problem while copying file' error.

Looked at advice on this forum and reformatted the SD card from exFAT to FAT32
Synced music collection again, successfully with only one file failing to convert (a DRM issue).

I thought the problem was solved BUT
Tried re-syncing a couple of days later. In reality there were only 18 new files and no other changes, but MediaMonkey decided it needed to sync 904 files.
The 'Capacity' bar indicated there was 4GB of new data to sync, but in reality only 80MB of new data.

A large number of files failed (possibly all) with 'Problem while copying file C:\... to \Music\... ' errors.
* The one genuinely new directory did not copy over, but it copied over fine using Windows Explorer later.
* I checked a sample of the pre-existing failed files on the SD card and PC and the file dates were correct, ie it should have been clear there was no need to sync the files.
* Two of the pre-existing folders which I checked were deleted on the phone, ie MediaMonkey actually deleted the SD card directories. One of these folders had files which did need converting to a lower bit rate whilst the other did not.
* The other pre-existing folders I checked were still there, with dates unchanged, ie the files had simply failed to load.

The 'Capacity' bar was now showing 3.5GB left to sync so perhaps some of the files did copy successfully, though not the ones that actually needed copying unfortunately.

By the way I tried 'Save as Playlist' as invited from the errors window but it resulted in a playlist with no entries in.
SternByName

Bug 9518 NOT resolved

Post by SternByName »

I've just noticed the bug for this (http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9518) is marked as resolved, with "Based on the forum posts it looks like the problem isn't in MM, but is caused by some 64GB card. Resolving for now..."

Sorry guys, it could possibly still be the phone but (if the card is FAT32 rather than exFAT) Explorer is getting correct information from the phone re file dates and behaves perfectly when copying files, and people on the forum indicate they are having the same problem with other cards.

Meanwhile we are stuck with deleting and recreating the entire music directory each time we want to sync with MediaMonkey. I refuse to return to iPhone land just to sync my music effectively...

Could you unresolve the bug? And have a go at fixing it of course! Thanks.
x-cimo

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Post by x-cimo »

You might want to PM jiri about it..

For now, I am using Samba filesharing to sync my stuff...
jiri

Post by jiri »

Anybody having this issue, please e-mail me a debug log illustrating the issue.

Thanks,
Jiri
SternByName

Post by SternByName »

I'm on holiday but will do a debug run when I get back if others haven't.
[For those who haven't done debugging before there is advice at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69]

Will I need to use DbgView or is this the sort of thing that MediaMonkey_debug will automatically generate a debug report for?

Thanks.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Yes, a debug log generated by DbgView and slightly commented (what kind of actions were performed, their results, ...) would help.

Jiri
rdp330ci

Post by rdp330ci »

I have success!

Old WinXp machine running MM 4.0 and a new Samsung galaxy S3.

Let the phone format the card. I had no success formatting it on the computer via the adapter and SD card slot.

Once I had 59GB free showing on the SD card I plugged my phone in USB and MM instantly recognized my 12 GB free on the phone and the 59 GB free on the card and opened each into separate "devices"

I chose to sync my playlists to the card and my FLAC folders as well. It's off and running.

MM identifies my phone in their GUI as Samsung SGH-I747

AT&T phone not rooted.
mentix1

Post by mentix1 »

rdp330ci wrote:I have success!

Old WinXp machine running MM 4.0 and a new Samsung galaxy S3.

Let the phone format the card. I had no success formatting it on the computer via the adapter and SD card slot.

Once I had 59GB free showing on the SD card I plugged my phone in USB and MM instantly recognized my 12 GB free on the phone and the 59 GB free on the card and opened each into separate "devices"

I chose to sync my playlists to the card and my FLAC folders as well. It's off and running.

MM identifies my phone in their GUI as Samsung SGH-I747

AT&T phone not rooted.
Sigh... we established that worked 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, when you try to sync again, you will have errors unless you delete the music dir again. No one wants to format every single time
Nagamaki

Post by Nagamaki »

I think this thread might be about 2 separate bugs, one related to microsd cards (maybe only 64GB and up) and one related specifically to synching playlists.

I don't have a microSD card yet (will be delivered within a few days) but I can attest to the problem with playlist synching with MTP.

I initially ran into the issue trying to sync some m3u playlists I imported (a process that seems to be buggy in itself when filenames contain non-ASCII characters, any file with those characters in the path/name gets silently skipped. In other words, a .m3u with unicode filenames containing 457 files turns into just 322 files with no warnings or errors raised, I think I'll probably submit this as another bug if I can't find a workaround).

I setup playlist synching for my device (d_WMDM.dll) with Sync Playlists and Generate device Playlists: Library Playlists checked and launched the sync. After the sync completed, I noticed that while all files were copied over, roughly half of them had most of their IDtags replaced with nothing but <unknown>. I cleared files off the device and repeated but the same thing happened, with the same files being affected. I created a smaller test playlist to speed up trial and error and was able to confirm that any form of synching that doesn't include an attempt to generate device playlists worked without any issues, but the moment I attempt to sync a playlist with that option on, the bug occurs. I'm not sure why only certain files are affected while others are not, but even the files that are affected when that option is checked sync properly when it is not so it isn't due to a fundamental problem with the files themselves.

Vista Ultimate SP2, updated
MM 4.0.6
SGH-T999V
Android 4.0.4 (stock ROM)

I'm also going to post this as a bug report with a MMLog.txt file attached, if clarifications are needed please let me know.
rumba101

Post by rumba101 »

Unfortunately, I am dealing with the same issue. I have an ATT S3 with a 32GB micro sd card installed. The initial sync worked fine though it did take quite some time. I resynced, and the bar informed me that there were 300 songs that needed to be uploaded even though I hadn't made a single change to the playlists that had been uploaded previously. The synch is still processing, it has been syncing for close to an hour. I guess I have no choice but to terminate the process and pull the plug. I hope this issue gets resolved soon.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Anyone having such an issue, please send me a debug log captured by the following steps:

1. Prepare device and MM to the state when the problem occurs (i.e. I guess that you have some auto-sync list of tracks, playlists, etc.).
2. Remove all songs from Now Playing list and close MM.
3. Start DbgView and then also MM.
4. Start synchronization.
5. Send me the captured log.

Thanks,
Jiri
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

I was re-attempting a sync again last night and I just can't get anywhere.

I'm pretty sure the fault is not with media monkey, I resorted to using the samsung app last night... although it says it completed the sync its missed a few hundred files.

I've tried via the phone, via a card reader, using the sandisk sd card adapter, it just doesn't play nicely - sometimes it just disappears from windows explorer, it is slow to access and so on.

I've put a post on the sandisk forum here: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Mobile-mem ... d-p/280356

I will try and keep this post updated with anything I find out. At this point I think I might abandon sandisk..
macmcd

Post by macmcd »

Okay, I've just started using a Samsung Galaxy S III as of yesterday and have run into the sync problems. There is no SD card so I am syncing to the phone's internal memory' The first sync was supposed to be the 5 most recent podcasts from various subscriptions and a single playlist. I had increased the play count to '1' on all the podcasts I didn't want to sync using "AddRemovePlaystat.1.2.4.mmip".

I noticed that MM was syncing all of the podcasts rather than just the ones that had a "Play #" of 0 (possibly a different issue). I therefore cancelled the sync, and changed the selection of podcasts to be synced. Once I tried to resync, every file failed to sync (with the end of sync error message summary).

On re-reading this thread I tried to delete the "Music" folder from the internal phone memory. I could not delete it from within Windows so I deleted it from the "My Files" app on the phone (incidentally, in reference to comments in this thread the internal memory is reported as "sdcard" on the phone). However, Windows still reported the Music folder as being present so I disconnected the phone and restarted. The Music folder then reappeared on the phone.

I decided to set up a playlist consisting of 4 tracks; a flac track, a lossless m4a, a 320kbps mp3 and low bitrate mp3 track. I then changed the phone options to only sync to 128kbps mp3 and MM appeared to convert and sync the four tracks successfully. Opening the music player on the phone, only the low bitrate file and the converted flac track appeared in the list of tracks and also in the transferred playlist. However, using the "My Files" app on the phone the other two files had been converted and played successfully but just did not appear in the list of tracks.

First debug log

I then added another flac track and a 320kbps mp3 track to the playlist. The second sync appeared to complete successfully but only the converted flac track appeared in the playlist and "All Tracks". The converted mp3 track had been successfully transfered to the phone but did not appear in the playlist and list of tracks.

Second debug log.

Sorry I'm not quite sure where I should or how to attach the debug logs.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You should send debug log's to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... &_a=submit
macmcd

Post by macmcd »

Thanks, I've submitted the debug logs from above.

I have persisted with trying to sync to the phone's internal memory and converting everything to mp3 at 128kbps or below if it already is, using a playlist of 12 songs of different type and bitrates but have met with varying success. Sometimes a track is converted but not added to the list of music on the phone, nor the playlist. Although a subsequent sync does not physically copy the track over (as it is already on the phone, as far as MM is concerned) it sometimes gets added to the list of music and the playlist. At first I thought the problem was with converting m4a to mp3 files as the four on the playlist did not show up on the phone (along with a 320kbps mp3 that had been converted to 128kbps). However, after deleting all the tracks by syncing with the playlist deselected in MM and then resyncing all the converted m4a tracks appeared but now a converted flac track that had always shown up was not in the phone's list of music. It was on the phone and would play.

Like all the other "hidden" tracks when played on the phone, the album art was correct but the music player couldn't pick up the artist, track title and album that normally appear at the top of the screen. For some reason that flac track is refusing to show up even after deleting and resyncing a couple of times. I have had the problem with mp3, m4a and flac tracks seemingly at random.