the Big Sync?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

markeh

the Big Sync?

Post by markeh »

I have an 80gb iPod, with about 10k tracks.

Every now and then, for no reason apparent to me, MM decides to sync thousands of tracks - now I'm watching a sync that is copying 6385 tracks.
I certainly haven't added/deleted that many - only a few in fact. I haven't retagged that many - again only a few.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what causes this? The only thing I can guess is that occasionally I do a "database maintenance", which presumably touches many tracks but shouldn't change tagging or content....

thnx,

Mark

chrisjj

Re: the Big Sync?

Post by chrisjj »

> Every now and then, for no reason apparent to me, MM decides to sync thousands of tracks

Same here on the very differently interfaces Creative ZEN... so I think this is a deep MM fault.

> a "database maintenance", which presumably touches many tracks but shouldn't change tagging or content....

Agreed.
Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

One cause is rescanning without '[ ] Only for files with changed timestamp or size'.
Chris
fugusushi

Post by fugusushi »

this issue is my only real gripe with MM - i have Sony and does same thing...
chrisjj wrote:One cause is rescanning without '[ ] Only for files with changed timestamp or size'.
are you suggesting this option should NOT be ticked? i have it ticked and seems to make no difference...

however markeh, do you have your music in playlists? if so you can just sync. the playlists you need to update. MM will still as-often-as-not insist on removing and reinstalling all tracks in the playlist, but at least it will only update that playlist - not your entire library...
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> are you suggesting this option should NOT be ticked?

To avoid rescanning causing a Big Sync, this option should be ticked.

> i have it ticked and seems to make no difference...

Another cause here is database corruption. The corrupt database includes files in the sync but does not show them on the Auto-Sync List, hence gives no way of removing them, short of a database hack/wipe.
Chris