Phillips GoGear SA9200

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

TulsaMJ

Phillips GoGear SA9200

Post by TulsaMJ »

I just got a Philips GoGear for my birthday a few weeks back, and I've been having a great time listening to my music on the go. It seems to synch fairly well, with a few glitches:
  • I like the idea of the "synchronize random tracks up to the device's capacity" check box, but what I REALLY want is to be able to synchronize certain preselected folders and playlists, and then fill the remaining space with tracks randomly selected from my library. It doesn't seem to work that way.
  • My star ratings (and listen counts, for that matter) do not seem to synchronize back to MediaMonkey. It seems possible that the reason is that I'm saving them as MP3s on my computer but converting them to lower bitrate WMA files when I move them to my GoGear, and MediaMonkey is somehow not making the connnection.
  • I would like to be able to set up a synch list from multiple virtual CD tracks, and then during the synchronization process have MediaMonkey prompt me for the CDs. My hard drive at home is too measly to hold all the tracks my wife wants to synch to HER audio player (which, FWIW, is not the GoGear).
  • The album art synch seems rather iffy. I've got as many of my files as I could find art for tagged with album art, and USUALLY it gets copied over to the GoGear. Occasionally not. And as often as not, when I browse the GoGear I find several identical copies of the album art graphic in the same folder! That may be a function of the driver from Microsoft. I hate it, though... it takes up space unnecessarily on an already too-small-to-hold-everything-I-want-on-it 1GB media player!
  • It sure would be nice to be able to use MediaMonkey to synch pictures onto the GoGear... not just the album art, but pictures. The GoGear can display photos that are not associated with the music files.
TulsaMJ

addendum

Post by TulsaMJ »

I just remembered something else... I've had a playlist or two successfully synchronize, but for the life of me I haven't been able to figure out what made that happen or how to get it to happen again.
daelin73

Re: Phillips GoGear SA9200

Post by daelin73 »

TulsaMJ wrote:I just got a Philips GoGear for my birthday a few weeks back, and I've been having a great time listening to my music on the go. It seems to synch fairly well, with a few glitches:
  • I like the idea of the "synchronize random tracks up to the device's capacity" check box, but what I REALLY want is to be able to synchronize certain preselected folders and playlists, and then fill the remaining space with tracks randomly selected from my library. It doesn't seem to work that way.
  • My star ratings (and listen counts, for that matter) do not seem to synchronize back to MediaMonkey. It seems possible that the reason is that I'm saving them as MP3s on my computer but converting them to lower bitrate WMA files when I move them to my GoGear, and MediaMonkey is somehow not making the connnection.
  • I would like to be able to set up a synch list from multiple virtual CD tracks, and then during the synchronization process have MediaMonkey prompt me for the CDs. My hard drive at home is too measly to hold all the tracks my wife wants to synch to HER audio player (which, FWIW, is not the GoGear).
  • The album art synch seems rather iffy. I've got as many of my files as I could find art for tagged with album art, and USUALLY it gets copied over to the GoGear. Occasionally not. And as often as not, when I browse the GoGear I find several identical copies of the album art graphic in the same folder! That may be a function of the driver from Microsoft. I hate it, though... it takes up space unnecessarily on an already too-small-to-hold-everything-I-want-on-it 1GB media player!
  • It sure would be nice to be able to use MediaMonkey to synch pictures onto the GoGear... not just the album art, but pictures. The GoGear can display photos that are not associated with the music files.
Have you tried making playlists that are limited in size and then creating an autoplaylist to take up the slack?

If you had the Gold version, you should be able to select a randomized sort.

Re: Phillips GoGear SA9200

Post by Guest »

daelin73 wrote:Have you tried making playlists that are limited in size and then creating an autoplaylist to take up the slack?

If you had the Gold version, you should be able to select a randomized sort.
What I've been doing is that I know the GoGear can hold in the neighborhood of 900 or so tracks (depending on if I have huge tracks like a whole CD from an audibook set on there or whatever). My autosynch list contains whatever complete CDs, playlists or artists I am interested in snarfing at the moment, and as it synchronizes I can see how many tracks there are. I basically subtract that from 900 and then I have a "random favorites" type of playlist that I limit to make up the slack up to around 900. It's kind of manual when the whole thing is supposed to be pretty automatic, don't you think?
TulsaMJ

whoops

Post by TulsaMJ »

Sorry... didn't realize I wasn't logged in yet. :o
TulsaMJ

Post by TulsaMJ »

For the record... about a week ago my GoGear totally crapped out on me. I had to ship it back for a replacement. Could be that some of the weirdness I've been running into (star ratings not updating properly, album art synch issues) was due to a defective player; I'll post here when I get the new unit and get to try it out.
TulsaMJ

New GoGear

Post by TulsaMJ »

The album art does not always synch with the new GoGear... but so far I haven't seen it doing duplicates. It seems like certain album art files don't synchronize correctly... ever. I can copy them over manually, but it would sure be nicer for them to just show up!