The search for the perfect portable mp3 player

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

Teknojnky

The search for the perfect portable mp3 player

Post by Teknojnky »

I've been thinkin about a new portable mp3 player and wrote down all my desired features. I am interested in hearing others desires and also if anyone has recommendations based upon my list.

For reference, I currently use 1 of 2 mp3 players, samsung yp-t7 1 gig, and mobiblu cube 1500i 1 gig.

Both are fine players in various situations, however the following are my desires for something new.

My ideal mp3 player
  • flash based: 1 gig min, 4 gig preferred, 24 hour battery min, 3+ day preferred, cigarette lighter sized ideal
    disk based: 50 gig min, 100+ gig preferred, 12 hour battery min, 24+ battery preferred, no bigger than ipod size
all required
  • id3 v2.4 support
    lyrics support (tag or external files)
    rating support (2 way support with MM) a separate set of thumbs up/down buttons would be ideal (like the pandora streaming player)
    last played/play count support (2 way support with MM)
    (MM embedded) album art support
    genre/mood support
    random all
    random within folder
    random within playlist
    easy to view screen indoors/outdoors without backlight
    easy/intelligent navigation/menus
    user replaceable battery preferred

mp3 support, I use only cbr mp3, other file types while nice, are immaterial to me

I have my own (awesome sony fontopia's) headphones so I don't care about the included ones
Anubis

Re: The search for the perfect portable mp3 player

Post by Anubis »

Teknojnky wrote: rating support (2 way support with MM)
last played/play count support (2 way support with MM)
If these two items are a must, and they were for me, it means you will be looking at the iPod range only. MM only supports 2 way syncing with the iPods at this time.