recommendation for a video like version of mediamonkey?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

cochese

recommendation for a video like version of mediamonkey?

Post by cochese »

I just started using MediaMonkey, and I think it's really great. It's actually the second management program I've tried (after itunes)...and I've sorely been missing out.

It's got me wondering what program out there would help me manage a video collection...or multimedia collection. I have video clips in mind, but a photo collection would possibly worth trying (however, I'd prefer a strictly video managment app). Is there any suggestions? ...prefereably free or resonably cheap. ...not bloated ...basically, something like mediamonkey :)

I tried googling forever & didn't find anythign (i have to assume i'm just not using the right keywords)

Any tips???

Thanks for the help.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well I don't have a very large video collection, so I just use MM. Using some winamp plugins you can add a viewer to MM. Using my script "Video Node": http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6397 - you can add a node to keep them together.

Of course, MM will always be focused on audio, not video, so this is not an ideal solution. I don't however have any suggestions, sorry! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I use Meedio, but I just use playback. I don't actually manage my videos except for the filename convention which I do in Windows Explorer. And yes Meedio has a free version available of the software.
cochese

Post by cochese »

thank you for your replies.

I think I want to keep my music organizer separate from my video on, so I'll look into the Meedio. It's a full package app though, which is more than I desire...but if it's all I have... Something simple & focused, like mediamonkey would be great - something that gives me the ability to categorize my videos, rate them, and have cover art (or screenshots).

Everything I find is focused on DVDs, where as my stuff is music videos, video clips, home movies, etc.

..and, I don't mind pay a fair price for this...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I think that the main problem with video as that normally info is not saved in the video files themselves, but in an application specific format.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

That's why I use MM for my small number of videos, because of the library.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
cochese

Post by cochese »

Yes, it's a shame videos formats don't have an id tagging system like mp3 files do. Although I'm not necessarily looking for an app that renames, etc....I guess I just want a library system (to separate the files into categories) and a rating system.

Is it possible to have multiple instances of MM on one computer? If so, I'll just install another one, and use it for videos. I'm going to also try Meedio and J. River.

Thanks alot, again, for the help.
Peke

Post by Peke »

cochese,
Some Video formats have Tagging Abillity (AVI, and many FOURCC Based Codecs) thru Infochunk Similar to WAVE Taging. Althru there is no standardized TAG fields just few of them non-standard used in some Applications. Search Internet for "GSpot 2.21" I think it will show you all info that is partialy(Each Application uses own TAG Fields) supported in AVI.

Here Is list some of them:
  • INAM Title
    IART Director
    ICOP Copyright
    IPRD Product
    ICRD Creation Date
    IGNR Genre
    ISGN Secondary Genre
    ISBJ Subject
    IKEY Keywords
    ICMT Comments
    IWRI Written by
    IPRO Produced by
    ICNM Cinematographer
    IPDS Production Designer
    IEDT Edited by
    ICDS Costume Designer
    IMUS Music by
    ISTD Production Studio
    IDST Distributed by
    ICNT Country
    ILNG Language
    IRTD Rating
    IPRT Part
    IFRM Total Number of Parts
    ISTR Starring
    ISFT Software
    ITCH Encoded by
    IRIP Ripped by
    IDIT Digitizing Date
    IWEB Internet Address
    ISRF Source Form
    IMED Medium
    ISRC Source
    IARL Archival Location
    ICMS Commissioned by
    IENG Engineer
    ICRP Cropped
    ISHP Sharpness
    IDIM Dimensions
    ILGT Lightness
    IDPI Dots Per Inch
    IPLT Palette Setting
    IAS1 First language
    IAS2 Second language
    IAS3 Third language
    IAS4 Fourth language
    IAS5 Fifth language
    IAS6 Sixth language
    IAS7 Seventh language
    IAS8 Eighth language
    IAS9 Ninth language
    ICAS Default audio stream
    ILGU Logo URL
    ILIU Logo Icon URL
    IWMU Watermark URL
    IMIU More Info URL
    IMBI More Info Banner Image
    IMBU More Info Banner URL
    IMIT More Info Text
    IENC Encoded by
    NFO/ Info (Adobe Premiere)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
wallstreetwalker

Post by wallstreetwalker »

are you looking for something like this
http://www.collectorz.com/ (check movies)

or check this : http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6893 as i'm pretty proud of it.
PUNK IN DRUBLIC

Post by Guest »

For photos, I've found that Adobe Photoshop Elements is by far the best organizer out there. For a freebie, Google's Picasa isn't a bad offering, but I always get annoyed using it.

For videos, I too have been looking for something like this for a long time. I have probably 100's of video clips downloaded from the net, plus stuff I've ripped myself, and no easy way to tag and organize them... folders and filenames will only get you so far. I used to use MM to do it, but in the end I decided I'd rather have my music database separate, plus it's an imperfect solution being designed for music anyway.

What's needed is something that can scan your hard drive and let you add metatags to the files. Even if it's application specific metadata I'd be happy, as long as the application is good.

Perhaps the mediamonkey developers could spin off MM into something suitable? It'd require some database and interface changes, but the general idea shares so many similarities I'd think it could use a lot of the same code base (I don't know, I'm just guessing). If you could tweak the available fields and organizational trees to be more relevant to video and make it a separate application, it'd be perfect.

As a bonus if it could manage my DVD's as well, that'd be awesome. Most DVD organizers seem limited by the notion that all DVD's are movies. As nice as automatic IMDB lookups are... it's a really bad paradigm for when I'm trying to add TV shows on DVD, or want a record of the DVD extras.

So if anyone has some real good solutions to the problem (or if the OP finds one) let me know too!
ejp1082

Post by ejp1082 »

Err, guess I wasn't logged in when I made the post above yesterday. It was me... sorry about that.