Album Art

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

agentsmart

Album Art

Post by agentsmart »

I SAY.

I fail to understand this need for album art.

what in the world do you need it for.

it wastes space on the players memory.

it makes the songs hard to read.

the playlists never play the whole album in a row unless you make
the player not shuffle and only have that one album in the list.

so what freaking good is album art other then showing you
the album cover to the song.

which you more then likely seen as you
ripped the song from the album in the first place.

so all this album art is usless waste of memory space. :x

Now What SAY You.?
Balinsky

Post by Balinsky »

Well, I usually listen to full albums.

It basically serves a memory aid.

When you have many albums from an artist it can be hard to remember all 15 names or so. But if you see the pic you say,"oh I have that album."

And if you don't listen to albums you probably don't have enough tracks on your player for memory to matter.

And plus its purrty :wink:
MediaMonkey Gold member
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Basically it serves very little in the way of use. It's just nice to be able to see the album cover.

I often listen to all my Stereophonics albums (for example) shuffled together. It's easier to see which album the track is off from the art than reading the album name in the now playing box.

You can of course close that window and not use the feature yourself! :)

ADDITION: I don't keep the album art inside the tracks themselves as I feel this is a waste of space, I keep the image in the album folder and don't sync that to my portable player.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
abrazor

Post by abrazor »

In my opinion I think it is just as important as the music itself. If you talk to a musician who has recorded a CD you will find that they spend a very very long time working on or choosing album art for their CD. The cover they use is part of what they are trying to convey through their music.

Also, as Trix said, it is easier to see what you are listening to by the album art than the tiny little letters of the title scrolling in the player. This also goes for the Toaster which displays information about the song I am listening to on my PC when the track changes - if it was only text it would be almost impossible to read on the background of all the other windows that are open.

One last thing is that I bought a photo ipod and i enjoy showing off the little album art pictures to my friends who have black and white ipods :lol:

. . . but of course it is all a matter of personal preference. :wink:
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, when I say it's a waste of space keeping the album art in the tracks themselves, what I mean is that my mp3 player has a black and white text screen only, and I can't afford a nice colour iPod! :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Then the best feature is that MM have you to chose will you sync. album art in tags or not along with MP3.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Nice! I haven't really played around with syncing much yet! Will try this out some time soon! :)
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

agentsmart what are you trying to do

stir up trouble?

or make a good thread?

I can't figure it out as to which you are doing because it seems that you want to cause trouble but the thread is being replyed to so it must be a good thread?

your one hard dude to figure out.

but i do agree album art is not really needed in my case and is wasted storage space.

i only have a couple album covers and i don't use them.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
abrazor

Post by abrazor »

well i didnt use album art either until 2.5 . . . as MM couldnt do it. I guess I should be angry with you guys now for giving me this feature that I think i was the first to ask for anyway!!! (if that makes sense) :lol:
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well I'm confused! I think what you mean is that you thought it would be a nice feature, but you're obsessive like me so now you have to make sure all of your songs have album art which is very time consuming. Is that right?
abrazor

Post by abrazor »

No, Trix, just kidding.

I knew they would get this feature so I have already downloaded all the album art. For ones that didnt have the art I took photos with my digital camera then added it.

I love this feature! Another reason I will stay with MM as long as its around.
agentsmart

Post by agentsmart »

well cowboy i am doing both :P 8) :lol:

but what would it do for me to have album art?

i make all my songs on one album called mixed.

40gb's of songs all on one album :P
Plazma

Post by Plazma »

Albumart is as useless to music as are music videos.
julzcompufreek

Post by julzcompufreek »

If you think its useless, then don't use it.

I just had to share that very important fact with you. :D :) :D :)
Julian aka julzcompufreek
"Dancing is a contact sport; football is a Hitting sport." - Vince Lombardi
Visit My Blog - http://kompufreak.wordpress.com
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Music videos can be very good. Unfortunately a lot of artists just do music videos because it's the done thing and strut around pointlessly, especially the women you think they're hot (and let's face it, often are). If a music video is done well, it can really enhance the music.