How big is you music collection? (2)

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

How big is you music collection?

You may select 1 option

View results

Eyal

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Post by Eyal »

Great, don't forget to backup also your library (mm.db), as important as your music files.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Benn

Post by Benn »

I know, I use Trixmoto's script. Before I did that, my DB corrupted and wouldn't work, so I had to start from scratch. I was heartbroken!
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

hello I used to have less then 25000 songs,

But now i have 27000+

I want to be promoted to the 25,000 to 99,999 songs :roll:

:lol:

Just kidding :wink:
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Trev1

Post by Trev1 »

Currently have 42,144 Music files - thought it was a big
collection until I seen some of the even larger collections
that fellow posters :-?
China-Rising

Post by China-Rising »

250,000 to 999,999 songs for me. Although I haven't actually counted :lol:

But I have 3 1TB Hard drives with nothing but music, 10'000 vinyl records and a few thousand CD's. So i'm guessing it's around that amount :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

File Create Reports > Statistics.
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

I am at 106,000 tracks, up from around 35,000 tracks 9 or 10 months ago. I added approx. 40,000 tracks in the past 2 months, and it was darned time-consuming, I'll tell you that. Total size = 700GB. Virtually all mp3 varying in bit rate from 192 to 320. MM can be a little pokey at times reading in the library.

All tracks are on one external drive which is backed up (incrementally) nightly to a second external drive. Yes, I also back up the mm.db file. I've used EAC (Exact Audio Copy) for ripping for the past 3 or 4 years. Since I am happy with EAC, I haven't tried MM's ripping facility. I synchronize to a Sansa Clip+ using an autoplaylist and have had no problems whatsoever.

Some of you may be interested in this. I segregate my "clean" (properly tagged and named) files from the ones I have downloaded but haven't had a chance to tag or review yet. The "clean" base folder is "Rips" while the other folder is "Staging". That way I feel comfortable putting all my tracks into the MM library where I can see everything at once, but still know whether or not I have tagged a track the way I want. Or sometimes I decide I don't want to keep a Staging track, so I don't waste my time cleaning up something I end up deleting. When I use MM to clean up a group of tracks in "Staging", the final thing I do is use Auto-Organize to move the newly cleaned tracks over to the Rips tree, properly named and organized. I LOVE Auto-Organize. And I depend on the Location node of the Library.

Below "Rips", I use the basic /<Album Artist>/<Album Name>/<Track ##>. <Song Name>.mp3 organization. Nothing fancy.

For me, a track is properly tagged when it has the correct Artist(s), Album Artist, Song Title, Album Name, Track #, Composer, Year of Release, a reasonable Genre, and Comments and Involved People where appropriate ("bonus track" for example in Comments). In the Song Title, I like to indicate when a track is a remix, a live version, a "single" edit, a demo version, etc. That helps me quickly see the difference between 2 tracks that otherwise would have the same name and artist. I try really hard to keep artist names consistent so I don't have the same artist listed 2 or 3 or 4 different ways.

In the Album Name, I indicate if it is a remastered or reissued version, plus the year of the remaster or reissue. For example, I have an AC/DC album listed as "Back in Black [2003 remaster]" and "1980" in the Year tag, which is where I want it. I don't use the Original Date tag because I don't want to look in two places to find music from a particular year or decade, plus I don't want to see Back in Black listed in 2003 along with albums that were first released that year, such as Evanescence's "Fallen" album.

I know many of you tag more completely than this, but for me that's enough. Some day I will step up to adding lyrics.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

JoePublic, it was so spooky reading your methodology - it's just the same as mine :roll:
[Library = 95706 tracks, 1498.7GB]
MediaMonkey user since 2006
tnelson

Post by tnelson »

Wow 7 users with over a million songs. Though that is not too farfetched as I have worked as an intern ones at a radio station and They do have a huge collection of music that even required that a network attached storage to store all their music files.

I have about 4100 songs on my library but I regular just shuffle about a thousand of tracks. Some are too old to play on a daily basis.
koen007

Post by koen007 »

i have 48943 numbers :D
most of them in in FLAC
770,7 gb in total

Post by Guest »

I only have five tracks. But whooo BOY! Them some good tracks!
pompapah

Post by pompapah »

All I know is: after spending four months ripping every LP, tape, and CD I ever owned, I never have to pick up those four or five incredibly awkward and heavy boxes again. Everything folded into mp3's in a shoebox. Cheap Sony earbuds, and some ipod, and I'm done.
Funniest part is that the car I own won't play mp3'sso a tape adaptor gets it done.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

pompapah wrote: (...) I never have to pick up those four or five incredibly awkward and heavy boxes again.
:lol: Welcome to the 21st century!
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
finley

Post by finley »

Wow some of you guys have monster collections!
I am in the process of ripping my CD collection (1235), it is time consuming but I am getting there.
Will let you know when I finish. :)
jonnyryan

Post by jonnyryan »

My music collection is around 3000.

A large chunk of that is down to my love of house music!! :D