How big is you music collection? (2)

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

How big is you music collection?

You may select 1 option

 
 
View results

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby rovingcowboy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:17 pm

for me the path or mask of

artist, album, genre, title

is what I use because even if they do the same song twice it is rarely on the same album. if so I just add a number to the title.
8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at viewtopic.php?p=44008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rovingcowboy
 
Posts: 14149
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:57 am
Location: (Texas)

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby sallenmd87 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:28 pm

[quote="AJLeibengeist"]What I want to know from others, is with 50,000 plus items, how do you best divide the music on hard drive.quote]

I do nothing manually. Not worth the bother to me. I do not care how the hard drive is organized, only about how the library is organized. I allow MM to organize my hard drive based on the rule of Album Artist/Album.
sallenmd87
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:46 pm

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby elmerbumpkin » Wed May 27, 2015 2:31 pm

I have approx. 140,000 tracks on a 5TB drive, plus backups on drives at home and offsite. I have also uploaded everything to Amazon Music, which has a capacity of 250,000 tracks.

I have my music divided across 9 VERY broad and arbitrary folders:

Blues, Gospel, Old 78s, etc.
Ambient, Chillout, Hip-Hop, Electronic, etc.
Country, Bluegrass, Alt Country, etc.
Jazz, Funk, etc.
Pop, Rock, etc.
Pretention (Classical, New Age, etc.)
Reggae, Dub, etc.
Soundtracks
World, Lounge, International, etc.

Each album artist has a directory, then each album, then tracks and artwork (if present). So:

Pop, Rock\Improved Sound Limited\[1973] Catch a Singing Bird on the Road\01 - Improved Sound Limited - Humphrey Bogart, etc.....

Each of the 9 folders, except Soundtracks, has a '_Various Artists' that stays at the top of the directory.

I love using AutoDJ at work and doing the gonzo shuffle of everything in the library. It makes for some ridiculous transitions, but I am always thinking "oh, yeah, I forgot I had that!"


I also have a separate drive with just about every concert on archive.org from the Grateful Dead that is not mixed into my main library.
elmerbumpkin
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby MaximusPrime » Thu May 28, 2015 8:14 am

My library is about ~30.000 tracks and keeps getting bigger. I allow myself to spend up to 50$ a month for Music. Nearly all of my friends laugh about that and say I should spent ~10$ for spotify premium instead, but that's not the same, I think the most here know what I mean, there's no better Feeling than Walking on release day of an Album you've been waiting for months in store and buy it physically :D
Inside my Music Folder on my hard disc i have on subfolder for each Artist, which includes subfolders for each Albums and single tracks. The single tracks are named as Artist - Title and the Songs inside an whole Album as #Song title.
MaximusPrime
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:31 am

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby AwayFromTheNumbers » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:05 pm

I have just moved across to MM and am scanning my collection. I've started with all those Various artists collections with more than 10 volumes in the series and so far MM has found just over 50,000 tracks and its only up to 'F' after 2 days scanning (its slow because I'm checking for duplicates) Then comes all the other compilations and all the individual artists. I must have at least 10 Tb of music (duplicated for contingency purposes I'd go nuts if I lost part of it through disk failure) ranging from Classical to Punk. I wonder how long it will take to play it all? :wink:
AwayFromTheNumbers
 

Re:

Postby theta_wave » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:58 pm

theta_wave wrote:Well, here goes...

Artists 5824
Albums 5331
Genres 120
Years 61
Playlists 76
Tracks 69572
Length (h:mm:ss) 4785:34:22
File size 422.46 GB

Bitrate (kbps) 209

Just an update (~7 years later):

Artists 14116
Albums 10735
Genres 130
Years 79
Playlists 264
Tracks 172163
Length (h:mm:ss) 11800:53:15
File size 1.73 TB
Avg Bitrate (kbps) 392

Top 10 Genres
Tracks Genre Length File size
33383 Game 1434:27:35 399 GB
11119 Alternative 721:46:23 96.1 GB
9281 Shoegaze 680:44:51 85.9 GB
8457 Classic Rock 442:18:57 82.6 GB
7126 Soundtrack 361:31:32 55.4 GB
6094 Rock 399:23:19 44.8 GB
5928 Classical 494:38:33 109 GB
5127 JRock 366:54:58 39.2 GB
4738 Anime 220:22:30 58.8 GB
4030 Electronica 340:32:08 45.4 GB

Organization:

Generally:
<Genre>\<Album Artist>\<Date>\<Album>\<Track#>. <Title>

Classical: <Genre>\Last name of Composer - <Album>\<Track#>. <Title>
Classical album name: Title (Headlining performer, Orchestra or Ensemble: Conductor/Leader)
Example: 9 Symphonies (BP: Karajan)
Orchestra: Berlin Philharmoniker
Conductor: Herbert von Karajan

Soundtracks:
Soundtrack\<Album>\<Track#>. <Artist> - <Title>
Soundtrack - <Genre>\<Album>\<Track#>. <Artist> - <Title>
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin
theta_wave
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:54 am

Re: Re:

Postby rovingcowboy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:15 pm

theta_wave wrote:
theta_wave wrote:Well, here goes...

Artists 5824
Albums 5331
Genres 120
Years 61
Playlists 76
Tracks 69572
Length (h:mm:ss) 4785:34:22
File size 422.46 GB

Bitrate (kbps) 209

Just an update (~7 years later):

Artists 14116
Albums 10735
Genres 130
Years 79
Playlists 264
Tracks 172163
Length (h:mm:ss) 11800:53:15
File size 1.73 TB
Avg Bitrate (kbps) 392

Top 10 Genres
Tracks Genre Length File size
33383 Game 1434:27:35 399 GB
11119 Alternative 721:46:23 96.1 GB
9281 Shoegaze 680:44:51 85.9 GB
8457 Classic Rock 442:18:57 82.6 GB
7126 Soundtrack 361:31:32 55.4 GB
6094 Rock 399:23:19 44.8 GB
5928 Classical 494:38:33 109 GB
5127 JRock 366:54:58 39.2 GB
4738 Anime 220:22:30 58.8 GB
4030 Electronica 340:32:08 45.4 GB

Organization:

Generally:
<Genre>\<Album Artist>\<Date>\<Album>\<Track#>. <Title>

Classical: <Genre>\Last name of Composer - <Album>\<Track#>. <Title>
Classical album name: Title (Headlining performer, Orchestra or Ensemble: Conductor/Leader)
Example: 9 Symphonies (BP: Karajan)
Orchestra: Berlin Philharmoniker
Conductor: Herbert von Karajan

Soundtracks:
Soundtrack\<Album>\<Track#>. <Artist> - <Title>
Soundtrack - <Genre>\<Album>\<Track#>. <Artist> - <Title>


Someone needs that eq preset switch script don't they. :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at viewtopic.php?p=44008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rovingcowboy
 
Posts: 14149
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:57 am
Location: (Texas)

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby MPG » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Well, it's been almost 8 years since I updated this post. Couldn't resist:
MediaMonkey Music Library Statistics
Totals
Type Library Played
Artists 18701 4231
Albums 34766 6746
Genres 25 15
Years 138 93
Playlists 5 2
Tracks 190264 9127
Length (h:mm:ss) 12631:11:41 571:29:42
File size 1.17 TB 53.6 GB

Averages
Type Library Played
Tracks per Artist 10.8 33.6
Tracks per Album 5.2 9.4
Tracks per Genre 7469.3 12436.1
Tracks per Year 509.1 69.4
Bitrate (kbps) 220 216
Year 2039 1972
Tracks played per day - 28.8
Rating ** "
Length (h:mm:ss) 0:04:59 0:04:45
File size 6.44 MB 5.99 MB

Generated by MediaMonkey ON Monday, February 29, 2016 at 5:02:42 PM

Every song is tagged with:
Track #, Title, Artist, Album, Date; Genre and has an album cover of some kind.
It is then organized by:
Genre\Artist@1\Artist\Album\Artist - Album - Track#:2 - Title

The amassed collection is thanks to being part of an internet radio station so I'm continually adding songs. 8 years ago, I was at 70,000. The new total indicates we add about 2,000/month. I spend about 45 minutes every morning updating and adding the new songs. I can honestly say, that if it wasn't for MediaMonkey, the task would be impossible to keep everything tagged and organized.

All Hail MediaMonkey!
:D :o 8)
TIA
MPG
Totals:
Artists: 25,085
Albums: 50,620
Tracks: 315,302
Length: (h:mm:ss) 20,881:37:48
File size: 2.12 TB
And Growing Daily...
MPG
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 11:22 pm

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby snailtail » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Updated:-
My collection currently sits at 9.3TB - ~74,000 Albums
All MP3, All >=192K (85% are V0 or 320), All Tagged with Coverart, All Albums No Singles
Spread across 2x3TB Drives and 1x4TB Drive (1 for Mainstream, 1 for Electronic, 1 for Metal/Punk/Rock) and Duplicated over 5x2TB Drives, so technically my collection is 18.6Tb :D
Growing at a rate of approx 80-150Gb a week
I'm currently focusing on downloading complete discographies of Artists, tagging them, then running them through a series of scripts I wrote to determine if its a better quality version of something I already have or something not in my collection.
snailtail
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 6:34 pm

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby MarshallN » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:36 am

557 songs) Not so many, I guess...
MarshallN
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:54 am

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby AstralTim67 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:06 am

My music collection was given to me by a local DJ for fixing his computer. It contains just about everything you would find in the classic rock category and any type of music a stripper would request to dance to. I'm not into music like I was when I was young but I bought this program hoping to organize the collection a little better, not realizing a lot of the organization would require months of manual effort on my part. I'm still learning this program but it has helped tremendously. I have 39,140 artists, 61,376 albums, 3808 genres, 205 years, 799 playlists, and 330,205 tracks. So far I have not had any issues. This program can handle it.
AstralTim67
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby Bob_m_54 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:00 pm

AstralTim67 wrote:My music collection was given to me by a local DJ for fixing his computer. It contains just about everything you would find in the classic rock category and any type of music a stripper would request to dance to. I'm not into music like I was when I was young but I bought this program hoping to organize the collection a little better, not realizing a lot of the organization would require months of manual effort on my part. I'm still learning this program but it has helped tremendously. I have 39,140 artists, 61,376 albums, 3808 genres, 205 years, 799 playlists, and 330,205 tracks. So far I have not had any issues. This program can handle it.

That's a huge collection. I just finished syncing the music on my NAS to the library on my old Xbox, and it tells me I have 2,923 Albums or about 1/20th of the size of yours :lol:

Edit: Seems I spoke too soon. There are a few seriously large collections listed, the further back you go.
Bob_m_54
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby Onlyzen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:10 am

I have huge list but its mostly on romantic hits
Onlyzen
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:47 am
Location: United States

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby snailtail » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:19 pm

-=Update time=-

Broke the million track mark :)

Artists 17334
Albums 81212
Genres 224
Years 149
Tracks 1047004
Length 81396:37:13
Filesize 11.2TB

Now spread across 2x4TB Drives and 1x3TB - almost ready to swap out the 3 for another 4.

snailtail wrote:Updated:-
My collection currently sits at 9.3TB - ~74,000 Albums
All MP3, All >=192K (85% are V0 or 320), All Tagged with Coverart, All Albums No Singles
Spread across 2x3TB Drives and 1x4TB Drive (1 for Mainstream, 1 for Electronic, 1 for Metal/Punk/Rock) and Duplicated over 5x2TB Drives, so technically my collection is 18.6Tb :D
Growing at a rate of approx 80-150Gb a week
I'm currently focusing on downloading complete discographies of Artists, tagging them, then running them through a series of scripts I wrote to determine if its a better quality version of something I already have or something not in my collection.
snailtail
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 6:34 pm

Re: How big is you music collection? (2)

Postby Peke » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi,
Nice one.
As a reference I passed to have more than 7500 Playlists in MMW

Can you please share your experience on MMW speed and hardware you use for MMW?
Best regards,
Pavle
MM Core Developer and Admin of free MediaMonkey extensions Hosting
Image
Image
Peke
 
Posts: 10439
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Serbia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests