Has anyone tried Jaikoz?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

Has anyone tried Jaikoz?

Post by nohitter151 »

I'm wondering if anyone has used this program Jaikoz, and what you think of it. Does it work? I'm sure that nothing is more accurate than manually updating the tags of your music (which mine are already 100% the right way I want them) but I know other people (like my dad) who might benefit from something like this. So, has anyone used it?

BTW, http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/startup.jsp
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anyone? No one?
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

The fact that it runs on Java (slow and "only semi"-support) alone keeps me from trying it. And from looking at the screenshot, it's obvious to me that I've met better programs before (including MM if it comes to managing, and scripting).
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Steegy wrote:The fact that it runs on Java (slow and "only semi"-support) alone keeps me from trying it. And from looking at the screenshot, it's obvious to me that I've met better programs before (including MM if it comes to managing, and scripting).
Well, from what I've read, its just a tool for automatically fixing the tags of your mp3's. As far as I know, there is no other automated method of looking up music tags based on acoustic fingerprinting. I also read he uses java so that multiple OS'es are supported with the same program. Its not really an MM replacement, just a tool that _may_ make people's lives easier when it comes to organizing music. Of course, I'm still skeptical about its effectiveness, which is why I was wondering if anyone has used or even heard of it before. I guess it can't hurt to see what the trial is like.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Try it and let us know what it's like! I'm skeptical about these acoustic fingerprint type programs since I tried MusicBrainz which creates a file hash (I think) and it messed up a load of my tags irreversibly. I love MM because it gives me the power! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Well, I finally boned-up and tried Jaikoz. While its not perfect (as any auto-tagger will be) its also got some nice features. You can undo any changes, and before any changes are made, you have to save them. Performance wise it seems pretty fast, since I was pleased with the trial I got a license for the full version and it took about 3 hours to go through roughly 2,000 tracks. Summary:

Pros
Reasonably fast
Automated
Powerful, reasonably effective (I had about a 80% success rate)
Does album artwork lookup as well
Will do any version of mp3 tags (ID3v2, etc)
Works on windows, mac, and linux

Cons
Not easy to use, complicated GUI
As far as I can tell, only supports mp3 and aac
Isn't perfect
Album art lookup is accurate but rare, only had about 20% of tracks tagged with album art
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

How about the not-so-obvious songs? MusicBrainz does these very VERY bad imo.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

If any of you have not tried the latest picard QT (alpha), then I recommend giving it a shot.

Earlier versions of picard and MB Tagger (to completely different music brainz tagger applications) had various issues and/or complications.

The new Picard QT seems to be quite accurate and alot more user friendly.

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/PicardQt

That said, I've also only heard good things about Jaikoz so far (but haven't tried it myself).
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Steegy wrote:
How about the not-so-obvious songs? MusicBrainz does these very VERY bad imo.
Musicbrainz is only as effective as the available user submitted data.

If the not-so-obvious songs are either not in the MB database, or do not have a PUID (fingerprint ID) associated, then it of course won't show up.

I am a pretty huge fan of musicbrainz, simpy because of the community way it is used.
87boosted

Re: Has anyone tried Jaikoz?

Post by 87boosted »

Honestly I have used Jaikoz for over a year and can comment on its usefulleness and attest to its features. There is NO current tagging software that compares to this in automating the process of tagging. Itunes, WMP, Mediamonkey...sorry they stink and I will not even mention them again. Ok to the Java argument. I have written code in Java, C, C++ and understand the reasoning behind coding this in Java. It is easy to update between platforms, allows a small group of people to modify the code and address the users requests quickly. Guess what, it works. If you have a request, submit it and you will be responded to, and if your request is reasonable it will be implemented. MP3, WMA, OGG, and various other formats have now been implemented and in due time the software will most definitely support more. As the program ages it has truly gotten better. I manage my collection with this software and when a friend needs a hand organizing his/hers I know where to send them. If you want a full review, dload it. There is NO comparison. Picardo is close in theory, but when it crashes you have no idea what went wrong. With Jaikoz you will see where there is a problem in the form of a log and deal with it. Seriously read the forum, and you will notice a trend. This is an amazing product that revolutionizes music management.
sayad

Post by sayad »

Oh yes i have tried Jaikoz.
Did you all know this , Jaikoz uses MusicBrainz, an online database of over 6 million songs. Many of these songs also have an Acoustic Id provided by MusicIP, allowing a song to be identified by the actual music, so it can do a match even if you have no metadata! These feature means that Jaikoz gives you the flexibility to lookup your songs by both the acoustic id and the metadata making Jaikoz a very accurate tool. But no identification system is 100% accurate so we have made it as quick and easy as possible to edit your data manually as well using a convenient spreadsheet view, with many autoformatting features.
It is a good one to try
Aphex_Twin77

Post by Aphex_Twin77 »

There is another thread on here where there is a discussion about Jaikoz and other auto-tagging software. It might be helpful to you and maybe you can add your input too.
Have a look here:
http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26123
sayad

Post by sayad »

I havent used it , but my collegues had , it isbetter to use it cause you see Jaikoz matching algorithm compares the metadata files to each other, and performs an analysis on the sameness of values. If sufficiently similar, the values are changed to the most popular value. This mechanism allows automatic correction of typos. For example, if there were fifty records with the artist name "The Beatles" and ten with the artist name "The Beetles," the sameness of the two values would indicate they were the same and all values would be modified to the most popular (the correct) value "The Beatles".

----------------------------------------------
San Diego Home Insurance