linux player that imports ratings?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

stutes

linux player that imports ratings?

Post by stutes »

Does anyone know of a music player for linux that imports ratings from MediaMonkey?

I'm a linux noob, but I've recently got FC5 up and running and networked with my XP machine. My plan is to manage my MP3s with MM, and to play them on my Linux machine (which I created to basically act as jukebox... a back end to my entertainment system).

But I've not had any luck finding a player that recognizes the ID3v2 tags. Mainly I'm trying to find a player that sees the ratings and the "custom 1" tag (the ratings are the critical one) that MM has created. I'm assuming the ratings and the "custom 1" tag are part of ID3v2, and are not proprietary to MM.

I would really like to use Amarok, but it appears to "score" the song files, and doesn't seem to see MM's ratings.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Your best bet would be Amarok or SongBird I think. In any case there are issues with ratings between different players and they are often not compatible (even if every player follows the standards).

As for the custom fields, it's my understanding that they are MediaMonkey only fields.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

MediaMonkey writes both the Rating and the Custom Fields (as special kind of comment) to id3v2 tags (you can check this with e.g. Mp3Tag). Indeed, the question is: which Linux-compatible program can read these tags? Apparently Amarok and SongBird aren't good enough yet...
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
samoflange

Re: linux player that imports ratings?

Post by samoflange »

This is an OLD thread, but I have the same question. I have a laptop with Linux on it, and cannot read any of my track ratings from MediaMonkey. I've checked Rhythmbox, Amarok, Banshee, Exaile, QuotLibet, and maybe a few others I can't recall. None of them can read the rating tags from MediaMonkey. Does anybody have any suggestions for a music player that will work with them?

We need MediaMonkey for Linux!!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You might want to see the following thread as well: http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21661
samoflange

Post by samoflange »

Thanks. I've read through that thread previously. Running MediaMonkey through Wine is a last resort for me. I'm looking for a native Linux application to do the job.
akovia

Post by akovia »

I wrote a little cheap & dirty guide on the ubuntu forums on how to get this done as quickly as possible in Banshee. Took about 15 minutes to tag the 2100 songs already rated in MM. Hope it helps someone.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st10688458

Ako
Peke

Post by Peke »

Good Write Ako. BTW MM4 will be able to write Linux path names :)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
akovia

Post by akovia »

Peke wrote:Good Write Ako. BTW MM4 will be able to write Linux path names :)
Great news, Thnx!

I did also want to say that there is no substitute for MM, but if you're in a bind like myself, Banshee seems like the best alternative. My main rig died and have been forced to use my older laptop that just chokes with MM under Wine. Besides that, all the cool features I love are neutered under Wine.

The things I like about Banshee over MM are few, but significant.
1. Writing ratings to tags
2. Video Support (MM4?)
3. Now Playing View even without clutterfree plugin.
4. NO Internet Explorer!

With that said I'd go back to MM in an instant if they had native Linux support.

Cheers,
Ako
Peke

Post by Peke »

1. MM should write correct tags to POPM id3v2 metadata http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-2452e ... ff67970852 http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =7&t=40532 and http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 76#p226576
2. Yes within MM4
3. Not sure what that means
4. Not for MM 4.0 but if we want Multi platform (and we want it) is a must

5. Scripting support in Multi-Platforms
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts