Can anyone recommend a good soundcard?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

computerace

Can anyone recommend a good soundcard?

Post by computerace »

I am currently brassed off with the buzz I get when connecting my computer to my amp-receiver.
I have onboard sound only.

My question: does anyone own a soundcard they can highly recommend, and if so, is it still available in the shops or online so that I can purchase it. I am thinking of something in the prize range of 140 New Zealand Dollars (approx. 92 US dollars or 73 Euros.)

Also: Can I expect that this will eliminate the buzz (buzz is intermittent - and I have no idea what causes it.)
Hooah

Post by Hooah »

Soundblaster X-fi. They have a card for however much you wanna spend.
wokou
computerace

Ooh nice!

Post by computerace »

Yes, indeed - The specs sound fantastic. Just the kind I was looking for! Thanks Hooah. Anyone else have any favourites?
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Consider going external.

Most professional sound guys and recording studios use external cards, called I/O devices. They prevent the card from picking up noise from the CPU and by placing it outside it generates less heat inside the computer case.

MBox or Layla are but two. They are 24 bit, have built in amplification, counsel software, and headphone amplifiers.

I happen to have selected Layla for the reason that it is rack mountable, but MBox is also a very good brand.

Consider buying an old 16 bit I/O from eBay as well. Sound guys are always looking for the BBC (bigger better card) so last years model is discarded.
Regards,

Scooter
Registered Lifetime Gold Licensee
Since 2006

Custom RAID Workstation > Focusrite I/O > 1g Cat6 Network > Adcom Preamp > Vandersteen Crossover > Adcom Power Amp > Vandersteen 3 Speakers > Vandersteen 2wq Subwoofer
junglemonkey

Post by junglemonkey »

inside the case i use soundblaster on the old computers win9x

and on this xp i use santa cruiz's turtle beach card.

out side is best thought just like scooter said.

but remember he is out in LA California and has all that gold
to use to buy them sound cards. you know every one in california
is rich.

8) :D
computerace

Good advice - Thanks Guys

Post by computerace »

The above advice makes a lot of sense even though it is a little more than I can presently afford. :cry:

In the meantime I have discovered that the buzzing problem probably is not the computer on-board sound itself - or the output, but the external receiver. All sound coming out of the computer box itself are crystal-clear. It's not the cable either, but the problems now have been pinned down as being poor grounding of my pretty antique receiver. :oops: Looks I have to now find a cheap but reasonably good amp.

I'm still interested in finding out what other soundcards users had pretty good experiences with. Especially soundcards with good midi-sounds (i.e. Yamaha), as I occasionally lose myself in arranging music-sequences using Cakewalk.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Regarding grounding Try to put Computer and receiver on same extension cable that in most cases solves the problem, as that Hum is due to electric potenial difference (I hope I write it right).
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
computerace

Potential Difference and Buzz

Post by computerace »

Thanks Peke :D ,

That's something I didn't know. Unfortunately I'm presently unable to do this as the computer is separated by about 3 meters from the receiver and there is a doorway between them. Quite a bit of moving of furniture would be needed and in this house it would be quite tricky to get something to work that would also look good enough. But maybe I have to (next chance) see if putting them on the same power extension will really resolve the buzzing problem. Also, I should have mentioned, the buzz varies from time to time. Sometimes it is really loud, other times it's barely audible. Not sure why that is, as to my knowledge nothing here gets turned on and off at the time I get/don't get the buzz.

A real puzzle this is :-?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Try to do that accross the room and if that fixes the problem then think about moving. Basicaly it means that Groung of computer and Ground of AMP are connected. My Grundig (20yer old) had similar problem on high volume >160w RMS.
Best regards,
Peke
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Any decent 16 bit card will run you $200 or so.

You can find a used Layla or MBox for $200 in eBay.

There is no excuse for not haviing a 24 bit external card.

As for buzzing, you need to isolate the stereo compontents. The most likely suspect is a turntable if you have one. Often the wire which connects throught the arm gets insulation worn through and it grounds out, making a buzz. Try disconnecting the various components to establish what is buzzing.

Ground all through a single ground. Turntable to Receiver, then Receiver to Computer. I use the little horseshoe connectors and crimp some green stranded wire to all the components with a wire nut. Looks unsightly but it works.
Regards,

Scooter
Registered Lifetime Gold Licensee
Since 2006

Custom RAID Workstation > Focusrite I/O > 1g Cat6 Network > Adcom Preamp > Vandersteen Crossover > Adcom Power Amp > Vandersteen 3 Speakers > Vandersteen 2wq Subwoofer
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You might want to try a power conditioner.
computerace

Buzz has gone!!! Crystal clear sound I once again adore!

Post by computerace »

Thanks to Lowlander and Scooter for the latest suggestions.

Peke had the answer that fixed all my problems and saved me trying things which probably wouldn't have worked if I had purchased them.

Yes, what I did in the end was to connect the receiver/amp via an extension cord to the same power outlet (a 4 way plug) as my computer. I doubted very much that it would work, but couldn't believe my ears. I have now been testing this setup for a whole day and all buzzing and humming has gone.

INCREDIBLE

Thanks so much Peke. You have made my day. :D
Peke

Post by Peke »

@computerace
Thanks, various problems like this made me learn some small things due to every day problems. Anyway glad that fixed the problem as mosly the simpliest solutions are the correct one.

BTW Putting in technical words you had "Ground Loop" problem.

@others
If someone have similar problems send me $200 and I'll fix it. Presentation is done, no more for free :evil: :D 8) :lol: :P :roll: :wink:
Best regards,
Peke