strange error on opening “working” media monkey library.

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Lechero

strange error on opening “working” media monkey library.

Post by Lechero »

Hi guys, new to the forum but long time media monkey user here. I’ve recently had a whole load of probs with my pc and had to update it to windows 7. At first when I tried to load media monkey it had all my files organised as before but they would all turn grey as the old drive was being referenced. My cd drive also stopped being recognised. I did manage to fix the drive issue but then nothing showed up in the media monkey library and It’s was alike a fresh install.

Long story short I used an old database file from the backup plugin to get my database back but now everytime I start media monkey I get an error saying

:filelocation \mm.db can’t be opened would you like to create a new one ?

Everything has been working ok with it and I have been backing up regularly and creating additional backups but this error message is always there. Is there a fix or should I just carry on and hope it stays working? Anyone else had this problem? Cheers
Lowlander

Re: strange error on opening “working” media monkey library.

Post by Lowlander »

Is that the message or did you modify the Path to the database for publishing here? Make sure the Path is correct and the file is actually there? If that's the case try a PC restart.

Are you using the default database location or a custom one?
Lechero

Post by Lechero »

Yes i just edited out the drive details here is a screenshot. Its been about 5 months I had it running like this and apart from that error message very little other problems. I just worry about all the tagging and database info being lost / corrupted any further. Everything installation-wise would be to the default locations .

:Tried to post a screenshot but even after following the step by step guide im being told im unable to post links from external sites so the address is broken up:

https://ibb.co/j3gQ2f1
Lechero

Post by Lechero »

Library path is correct and the file is def there. Have tried reinstalling and moving the file but I get a clean install and my database is gone.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try a Portable Install in a new folder and copy the database file into the Portable folder where you installed it. Does that allow MediaMonkey to open with your Library.
Lechero

Post by Lechero »

Hi just tried the portable install and still the same error message
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then there may be something wrong with the database file (assuming the error now points to the Path of the database in the Portable folder.

You could see if MM5 Portable can open the database: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
Peke

Post by Peke »

Lechero wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:25 pm Hi just tried the portable install and still the same error message
If you see that same error message then MM is most likely not fully installed as Portable. The reason for that is that DB of Portable install is always in "<PORTABLEINSTALLFOLDER>\Portable\MM.DB" (eg. C:\MMTemp\Portable\MM.DB) Please check if "<PORTABLEINSTALLFOLDER>\Portable\MediaMonkey.ini" Contains these two lines:

Code: Select all

[Portable]
IsPortable=1
If they do not exist add then as first two lines, save file, Copy ONLY "C:\Users\Merk\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MM.DB" to "<PORTABLEINSTALLFOLDER>\Portable\MM.DB" and now start MM
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lechero

Post by Lechero »

Hi I must have made a mistake when trying the portable install, I did what lowlander said and now my database opens without errors in the portable install. Should i just continue to use the portable one instead? Sorry if its a common question but what is the portable install used for? many thanks for the help :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It is used to not install a software within Windows. You can also move it around to other PC's.
Lechero

Post by Lechero »

So Shall I transfer over to the portable version and abandon using my original copy?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've been doing that for ages. However you do miss a few Windows integrations if you use them.
Lechero

Post by Lechero »

My main worry is Ill lose my tags and ratings ive given the tracks. What windows intergrations do you lose?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's not a problem with the portable install. You'll loose the microplayer.
Lechero

Post by Lechero »

Hi so I have now transferred over to the portable version and it has solved the error message i was getting on the start load. My only issue is that i get the odd error message saying :

Access Violation at address 009E76D3 in module 'Mediamonkey.exe.'. read of address 00000008.

When i try and play a song, the song will normally play and i just close the message but it makes it a problem when i want to use it via monkeymote. Is there any fix for this error ?