MM messed my albums up

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

boristhemoggy

MM messed my albums up

Post by boristhemoggy »

I recently copied all albums of one artist to a card so I downloaded a new copy of media monkey and set about tagging the albums. Now I have 2 albums both called unknown with no tracks in them, 24 tracks all named as though they were individual albums, and 4 script alerts when I try to use Discogz.
I'm not sure where to start to look for what went wrong so I'd love some ideas?
Peke

Re: MM messed my albums up

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If your files are in same folder you should navigate MMW Library using Location node -> Select all tracks and in multiple tracks edit properties Correct Album and Album Artist.

After tagging it will be shown as one album.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

Sorry there's loads going wrong with media monkey lately. Too much to list.
For the last few months I've been unable to add new tracks. I rescan over and over but it refuses to add tracks that I put in the folder, and I can find no real reason why it would not.
Also there are over 30,000 tracks, yet MM reports only 22,000?
It's just nuts at the moment and even though I deleted the database and downloaded a fresh new copy of MM I get the same results.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is normal behavior as your Album Artist is not set correctly, especially for Compilation albums. There was no need to delete/reinstall MMW.

Can you supply screenshoot of what you are seeing and find wrong so that I can give you more detailed answer?
For tracks numbers are you sure that rest of tracks are not in other collections?
Best regards,
Peke
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

yeah some of my compilation albums are deffo messed up. I can't find a way to fix that though.
I am having a rest from it for a few days but when I get back to it I shall take screenshots of when it goes wrong.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Try to use MMW search for an Album name it should list all the tracks from Compilation. afte rtaht you can select them all and correct Album artist (I use "Various Artists" for compilations).
Best regards,
Peke
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

This is just not happening.
The main folder is Bela Bartok
Sub folders are Bela Bartok Complete Works Vol 1 CD1-CD7
Sub-sub folders are Bella Bartok - Chamber Works 1
Bella Bartok - Chamber Works 2
Bella Bartok - Chamber Works 3 etc for 7 albums
In Explorer the folder structure is plain to see and correct. In MM if I choose all files from one folder and retag them with correct names, they all appear still as individual folders and NOT under the Bela Bartok main folder. I've been at this for weeks, all files and folders are named and tagged correctly yet MM just won't display them as all belonging to one main folder and I can't see where the problem lies.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you make screenshots?

If they are tagged correctly they should show as Single Album in MMW Library.
Best regards,
Peke
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

I have removed the Bela Bartok from the library simply cos I am fed up of weeks of failed attempts to do simple things.
I shall put them back and see if MM recognises they are there (it often cannot see new files I add to the collection even after rescan) and I shall then screenshot what MM sees.
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

I think I have just worked out what it's doing. It is reading tags, and putting each item in it's own folder if it does not have a corresponding tag to another item, INSTEAD of simply keeping folder structures in the way that they are ordered. So each file would have to be labelled and tagged manually to put it all right, instead of choosing an album and searching on the web and then tagging it.
So, if this is right, how can I stop it reading tags, and simply copy the folder structure that I already have in place?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey doesn't touch the folder structure unless you enable Tools > Options > Auto-Organize.

If you mean that files aren't show as a single Album it likely is due to the Album Artist. It needs to be the same value for all files on the Album: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... erties/4.0

Tools > Options > Library has Infer File Properties allows settings to read tags from filename, but this is automatic. Manually you can do it with Auto-Tag from Filename: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... lename/4.0
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

Auto organise isn't on.
I understand what your'e saying about album artists where there are various artists, but there's 600 files all by Bela Bartok so that doesn't hold here.
An interesting thing I found was Filenames+Path in the library options. I'd not seen that before and it seems to recommend it for those albums with complicated folder structures.
Later...it didn't work.
What I did with my Jim Croce collection was to remove one folder and then rescan the entire collection. I then tagged the folder using MP3tag and afterwards copied it back to the main Folder. It took a few attempts for rescan to add the folder in but when it did it had all the correct tracks in. I was even able to tag it from the web using Discogz.
It looks like MP3tag is going to have to be my workhorse now, I have no idea at all what is going wrong with MM but it is simply acting bizarrely.
If I open one folder, I should see the files that are in that folder, and be able to work on the tags. MM simply is not doing that. On the first attempt with Jim Croce it only listed one track in the whole album. Where the other ones 'were' in MM I have no idea.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you in the Location node? There you can see all files in a folder. You can use the All sub-folder to see all files in the folder and it's sub-folders (Tools > Options > Appearance).
boristhemoggy

Post by boristhemoggy »

Been trying location mode and that's deffo a better idea! There are still loads of albums messed up now, I'm having to put them all right with mp3tag but at least it's getting there.
Thanks for all the advice guys
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can tag them in MediaMonkey too.