One instance doesn't know what the other instance is doing?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

YetAnotherSteve

One instance doesn't know what the other instance is doing?

Post by YetAnotherSteve »

Howdy! I am trying to replicate the way I used iTunes 10.7 with multiple windows as I learn how to use MediaMonkey.

Is there a way to have one instance know what the other is doing? I would like to have my podcast library in one instance, and drag tracks to a playlist in the second instance. When I do this, the first instance does not see that the files were added to the playlist.

I tried just hitting F5 in the first instance, no luck. Is there a 'refresh instance automatically' setting or something like it in options?

Thanks in advance!
Lowlander

Re: One instance doesn't know what the other instance is doing?

Post by Lowlander »

Share a database: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... s--devices

or use MediaMonkey Server with MediaMonkey 5.
YetAnotherSteve

Hmm, either I didn't explain my question properly, or the solution is much more complicated than I expected!

I merely wanted to have two 'windows' of MMW open on my PC so I could do the following like I could in iTunes:

1) Open the source in the first window / instance
2) Open the playlist I want to edit in the second window / instance
3) Drag the track from the source in the first window to the second one, dropping it exactly where I want it in the playlist, like position 15 of 50 tracks.
4) Repeat #3 for each additional track until the playlist is how I want it.
5) Sync to the phone (for iTunes I used iSyncr, a small program from JRTStudio, who also make RocketPlayer, the Android music player I like to use)

I really dislike what Apple did with iTunes 11 and 12 and have been looking for an alternative for many years. Until now, I could only edit playlists in MMW (and other programs I tried like MusicBee) by doing the following:

1) Open the source in the main window
2) Right-click a track,
3) Select 'Send to',
4) Select 'Playlist',
5) Select the particular playlist to add the track to the END of the playlist
6) Repeat #2 to #5 for each additional track
7) Open the playlist in the main window
8) Drag the tracks around until they are in the order I want them to play in.
9) Go back through #1 to #8 again when I find that I want to add another track to the playlist.
10) Sync to the phone.

I hoped that MMW would let me open a second instance that contained a playlist and drag a track from the first instance that has the podcast track to be dragged. But when I try to do this, I can't add it to the playlist positions I want. (I get the error circle with the slash in it)

(I tried uploading a screenshot showing what I am doing but the forum software says I can't post image links that are external to this domain. How to I upload a screenshot to the forums?)

Anyway, that's all I wanted, to drag a track from one window to the place in a playlist I wanted. If anyone knows how to do this in anything besides iTunes, please let me know. And if the 'share a database' trick or by using MonkeyMedia Server is the solution, then MMW is probably going to be too much of a pain for me to use.

Thanks in advance for reading and posting any followups.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Not within MediaMonkey. You can have a second tab open, but D&D doesn't switch to it for specific placement (it adds to the end).

Some use the Now Playing to setup the Playlist (as it's a separate window) and then save this as a Playlist.
YetAnotherSteve

Is there a way to open an existing playlist in the 'Now Playing' window? That would be just fine as along as I can drag and drop to the position I want in the playlist.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, it's only the Now Playing list. You can load a Playlist into it (now it no longer is that Playlist), edit it and then save.

MediaMonkey 5 (in end of beta cycle) has a Playlist panel that opens when you add files to a Playlist. This may work a little better.