Help with imported iTunes playlists from old PC

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

slimboyslim

Help with imported iTunes playlists from old PC

Post by slimboyslim »

Hi,
Have just replaced my old Windows 7 PC for a new Windows 10 PC and really hoping to leave iTunes behind in the process. I've installed MM on my new PC and moved my music folder on a USB drive. No problems so far getting MM to find it and do its thing.
Then I tried to move my playlists. I have around 100, containing 1000s of tracks altogether so moving them manually did not appeal. I exported them in M3U format individually, and my library in both M3U8 and XML format to try and cover all the bases.
I've now tried importing them on the new machine using a script called iPlaylists.
What I found is that when I play them, MM runs through the tracks greying them out, but doesn't play them.
A closer look shows that within the playlist, the filepath is C:... which must be part of the playlist data from my old PC, as my iTunes folder was stored on the C: drive. But my music library is now stored on D: as I'd like to keep it on a portable USB.
Is there any way to update the filepaths in the playlists, in bulk rather than track by track? I've tried rescanning a couple of times, and clean reinstalling MM, but not had any luck. Two options I've considered are to a) install iTunes on the new PC, install the playlists there, then move that complete library to MM and uninstall iTunes again. Or b) again on the new PC, shift the music folder onto the C: drive, rescan, discover the playlists and then move it back to D: again and rescan.
I had hoped there was an easier workaround. Any ideas? I realise that upgrading to Gold may be necessary here.
Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Help with imported iTunes playlists from old PC

Post by Lowlander »

You can edit Playlist files in Notepad and use it's Replace function to replace a string for all occurrences.
slimboyslim

Post by slimboyslim »

Thanks,
Have done this to the XML Library file (Or do I have to do each playlist individually?)

Now it's saved as a .txt - how do I convert it back to an XML file that MM will recognise?
slimboyslim

Post by slimboyslim »

Scratch my last reply. I think amending the whole library in one doc was ambitious. I can't get it to convert back to XML file.
Now amending individual playlists and working very quickly through it.
Playlists working as and when I update them.
How utterly delightful on days like this that the replace tool remembers its last instruction between different docs.
Thanks for your help.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

An xml file, despite its extension, is just a text file (which is why you can edit it in Notepad). To save it from Notepad:

Save as
Change Save as Type to All Files (*.*)
Type in the file name you want to use, with xml extension (i.e. itunes_for_mm.xml)

Do be smart and use a different file name than the one you used when you exported the file in iTunes in case you did change something you shouldn't have.
slimboyslim wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:53 am Scratch my last reply. I think amending the whole library in one doc was ambitious. I can't get it to convert back to XML file.
Now amending individual playlists and working very quickly through it.
Playlists working as and when I update them.
How utterly delightful on days like this that the replace tool remembers its last instruction between different docs.
Thanks for your help.