New User Questions

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

LarryNuke

New User Questions

Post by LarryNuke »

I just discovered that Apple is going to kill/stop supporting iTunes. That isn't bad as I is a real pain to use. I just downloaded MM yesterday and it seems to have found most of the songs I thought iTunes had lost. But I don't understand how it organizes the files and where.
1. When it found the songs, did it simply index that file and location or did it copy it somewhere then index it? I hope the latter.
2. Where is it storing all my music files?
3. Once MM has found all the songs and copied them somewhere and indexed them, can I simply delete all the old copies of the songs I have on my many drives?

I want to take all the scattered music files I have, put them in one master directory and then get them indexed. Then sync with my iPhone. Is this easy to do? I'll buy the license if I can do this.

I have been looking through the Wiki, FAQs, Help Files, all I can find to read but don't find the answers to these questions.

Thanks for any assist.
Larry
Lowlander

Re: New User Questions

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, MediaMonkey just indexes the files where they are, allowing you to control how files are stored. Auto-Organize (Gold feature) can automatically move files when they're scanned or edited: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... enames/4.0

MediaMonkey doesn't copy files. You can also manually have MediaMonkey move or copy files using Tools > Auto-Organize Files. Both work best if the tags of the files are in order.