Copying CDs from an external CD drive

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

sinj

Copying CDs from an external CD drive

Post by sinj »

Hi

I am a very new user of MM (gold anyway) and have been trying to copy CDs onto my hard drive from an external CD/DVD RW drive.

THE CD/DVD drive is recognised by my laptop and MM will *play* the CD but MM does not recognise a disc when you say "Rip Audio CD". It says "no audio CD was found".

Is there a simple setting to get the CD drive to behave with MM?

Apologies - could not find a relevant topic amongst the 37000 here!!

thanks in advance

Sinj
Peke

Re: Copying CDs from an external CD drive

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I tested using Laptop SATA -> USB DVD ROM Cable to connect it as external DVD ROM and it was normally detected and working in MMW.

Are you sure that your CD/DVD Drive is detected on Windows as Removable CD/DVD drive?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It works for me as well. Which version of MediaMonkey and is the CD a commercial release or a home-burned disc? If the latter it may be a Data CD instead of an Audio CD. If it is an Audio CD the files will all have the .cda extension, otherwise it is a Data CD.
sinj

Post by sinj »

HI there

only just realised you posted a kind reply.

I have since found that I need to detach the external drive where the bulk of my library is stored whilst doing the CD rips otherwise MM just seems to get bewildered.

I then rip to my laptop hard drive and the CD drive behaves most of the time.

Still have problems with Freedb from time to time (like today!) where it says it cannot make a connection :(

thanks for the help

Simon
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture the Ripping problem in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=1&t=341

As far as Freedb goes, it's closed for business. Update to the latest release of MediaMonkey to fix this: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 54426&sd=d