How to copy music from MediaMonkey to external hard drive

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Gerald McClaren

How to copy music from MediaMonkey to external hard drive

Post by Gerald McClaren »

Hi! I'm a newbie, I would like to know how can I copy music from MediaMonkey to an external hard drive. Thanks.
paulmarkj

Re: How to copy music from MediaMonkey to external hard drive

Post by paulmarkj »

Select the songs, then right click.

Select 'send to' then 'copy' and select the directory in the drop down list.

Is that what you wanted?
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Pardon me if I have misread you. Your music isn't actually "in" Media Monkey; MM just creates a database that references your music including tags that are in your music files and adds its own information (if it fits the MP3ID framework, this will be written to the file, otherwise it will just be in the database). MM calls the database, the library. I am not clear what you want to achieve by copying the files to an external hard drive. If you want MM to be able to find them on the external hard drive you should use auto-organize (under tools) where one of the options is copy files based on tags. If you actually want to move them to the hard drive, you should also use auto-organize but with the move option. With auto-organize, MM updates the database; if you move files outside MM the database has the wrong location because it has not been updated. If you just want to copy them and don't care whether MM knows about them on the hard drive, you can just use plain old Windows Explorer (just be sure Explorer is copying and not moving the files).
Gerald McClaren wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:19 pm Hi! I'm a newbie, I would like to know how can I copy music from MediaMonkey to an external hard drive. Thanks.
Gerald McClaren

Post by Gerald McClaren »

Thanks PaulMark. I copied the songs to the hard drive.
RenaissanceMan1020

Post by RenaissanceMan1020 »

I need to re-open this post and seek detailed instructions. I want to move my entire file of all MM songs (about 25,000 including classical) to an external hard drive (but keep MM on my C drive to interact with the existing music files and add more). In the past, when adding music, I have usually fixed spelling mistakes on titles auto-found, checked album names, and added composer names and occasional notes. I have inserted very specific traditional titles on classical music and its subparts.
Both my external and internal drives are solid state and speed is not an issue. Several discussions in the knowledge base recommend the use of 'Auto-Organize", with the choice of the Move sub-option. OK, then, how? From your perspective, I am an old man who went to college when punch cards were very high tech (over fifty years ago), but now I am a Gold member of MM (I think).
Undoubtedly, I need to create a folder on my external HD. Moving to my questions about the Auto Organize screen:
Which of the choices in the destination drop down menu is best? Why are the additional options provided?
The find destination wizard seems to be clear. Following the icon for the destination wizard is a 'fast forward' button. Why does this button provide a drop down menu of various fields? Next is a Configure option. Why is the Configure option provided?
The screen then seems to automatically offer a new path for a single song, and leaves the old path fields blank, and the fields for title, artist and album are also blank. Do I need to choose a different option in the destination drop down menu? Should I care if the old path is blank?
Why is only one song listed to be moved? How do I instruct the Auto Organize window to move all existing digital music files? How do I instruct MM to automatically save new digital music files to the external drive?
I am sorry to take your time with what you probably consider to be easy questions. MM seems to be the best music collector program of its type on the market. However, the flexibility which MM offers presumes a level of programming expertise that regrettably not all of us possess. I would appreciate your help, to use the Auto Organize feature to move my music to an external hard drive. Thank you very much.
As a postscript, I usually refrain from these questions for detailed instructions, because inevitably I receive some snarky responses from young nerds without manners. However, I am confident that MM users are mature and professional and respect the efforts made by less skilled users.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Are you already aware that an external medium can reduce your speed?

If the file name is already correct, use this variant:
mark some/all music files - right mouse button - send to .. Folder(Move) ...

If you want to create a new file name, then this variant:
MM offers full flexibility - You decide the storage medium and the formation of the filename.
1. Select all files in the corresponding folder (Test it with ONE marked file)
2. Tools
3. Auto-Organize Files
4. MM offer you two options: move OR copy is self-explanatory.
5. In both cases you can select the drive and the destination folder.
6. You can create the file name from the tags yourself. All combinations from the field list are allowed.
If a correct file name already exists, use the tag field: <Filename>
7. Folder monitoring must then be adjusted: Tools - Options - Library ... File monitor
8. Auto-Organize must be adjusted: Tools - Options - Library - Auto-Organize
Please note the syntax for field names: <fieldname>

That’s it - Google has translated
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Send To doesn't create a folder structure, instead syncing all files to the same folder.

Auto-Organize Files is very flexible to fit different needs. You just set the Destination as you need it to be for you and make sure you set it to Copy instead of Move. Auto-Organize Files works on selected files only.

Sync is also an option: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... evices/4.0
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

@Lowlander

I assumed that with my first variant.
RenaissanceMan1020 » 13 Jan 2020, 08:48 wrote
Undoubtedly, I need to create a folder on my external HD.
Synchronization is not an option.
RenaissanceMan1020 » 13 Jan 2020, 08:48 wrote
I want to move my entire file of all MM songs (about 25,000 including classical) to an external hard drive (but keep MM on my C drive to interact with the existing music files and add more).
RenaissanceMan1020

Erwin: Thank you for the help. I have made progress but I still have questions about steps 7 and 8. I am at the stage where File Monitoring and Auto Organize must be adjusted. However, in my 'Tools' menu, there is no selection for Options. My Tools menu includes a choice for Auto-Tagging from the filename, but it is unclear whether this is the tool you are recommending. Secondly, under Auto-Organize files, there is a choice for Advanced Tag Management, which provides for synchronizing or cleaning tags. Those are the only choices which I can find which might fit in your stages 7 and 8.
In order to test the MM without making the adjustments to File Monitors or Auto Organize, I tried two things. First, using Auto-Organize I moved a song to the external drive and it remains in my MM directory under the new file name. Something was adjusted to allow MM to find that single music file. Secondly, I used MM to rip a CD to my external drive. The CD copied to the external drive but does not appear in the MM lists of albums or songs. Clearly, I still need to adjust file monitoring and presumably Auto Organize. Can you give me any other alternate instructions to make the adjustments? Should I rip all future additions to my original C drive, and then use Auto Organize to move the new music to my external hard drive? (I believe that I have an up-to-date version of MM). Again, my plan is to move all of my music files to the external hard drive. With the solid state drives and an i7 processor, I do not expect a speed problem. Thank you again.
RenaissanceMan1020

Erwin and Lowlander:
I have checked to make sure that i have the current version of MM. I have rebooted and now MM is finding the location of the files on the external hard drive. The current Gold version might be automatically finding and monitoring the file locations. It looks like my questions have been answered. Vielen Dank fur Ihre Hilfe.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

In my signature is a link "My Settings". Take a look at it.
Are you German speaking?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

RenaissanceMan1020 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:43 ambut it is unclear whether this is the tool you are recommending.
It's Tools in the Main Menu next to Help, not Tools on a Toolbar.
RenaissanceMan1020 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:43 am First, using Auto-Organize I moved a song to the external drive and it remains in my MM directory under the new file name. Something was adjusted to allow MM to find that single music file. Secondly, I used MM to rip a CD to my external drive. The CD copied to the external drive but does not appear in the MM lists of albums or songs.
Tools > Auto-Organize Files keeps the files in the Library in their new Location, no matter what Folder Monitoring settings you have. But for any files you add new you'll need to setup Folder Monitoring on the new location.