Newbie needs advice on migrating iTunes library

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MrMann

Newbie needs advice on migrating iTunes library

Post by MrMann »

Hi all. I've been poking through the forums and see a lot of discussions about specific things about dealing with an iTunes library. I'm hoping someone can make suggestions for my situation.

I have a large library (30K songs, including 3K+ videos, 600GB total) with dozens of playlist folders and hundreds of playlists.

I was able to import all my songs, along with their ratings. I would like to be able to import my playlists, folders and playcounts. Is that possible?

From what I've read it isn't possible to import playlist folders - is this correct? That would be disappointing bc I'm worried iTunes for Windows will go away or be unsupported or simply stop working in the future. I figured MM would be a good replacement but the idea of rebuilding all those playlists is incredibly daunting. It's taken 18 years to get where I am now.
Lowlander

Re: Newbie needs advice on migrating iTunes library

Post by Lowlander »

Playlist yes, playlist folders no: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... other-apps
However in MediaMonkey you can create the foldered structure as well.
MrMann

Post by MrMann »

Thanks for the response.

I understand the nested playlists...makes perfect sense.

So it sounds like I can't import folders from iTunes. Can I import iTunes playlists into an existing MM playlist? Or is my best solution to import all my playlists and then re-organize them within MM (not ideal, there's hundreds, but much, much better than having to rebuild each playlist).
MrMann

Post by MrMann »

So, having read the article...the solution is that I have to export each individual playlist from iTunes into a format MM understands?

That's not workable if that's the solution. Would be disappointing.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't know about iTunes, it may have an export all Playlists option (like MediaMonkey has).