need to delete hundreds of duplicate music in one folder

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rtoledo2002

need to delete hundreds of duplicate music in one folder

Post by rtoledo2002 »

Greetings, I have owned and loved MM for a bunch of years as I hate ITUNES and all things Apple.

Well with that said I bet I just shot myself in the foot. Worse I do not understand this help page
https://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/ ... icates.htm

you see I need a graphical photo of MM and someone to point out what is the "library " I need a picture

and where is this " Library > Files to Edit > Duplicate Titles node " from the link I posted above

I am running 4.1.25.1895

HERE is the screen with duplicate music files

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iP63I6 ... sp=sharing

and here is the options page where " I thought I had found a delete duplicate when syncing " but can NOT find now

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dd0IxO ... sp=sharing
Lowlander

Re: need to delete hundreds of duplicate music in one folder

Post by Lowlander »

You're looking at something for an old version of MediaMonkey, instead: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... ate-tracks

Library from pre-MediaMonkey 4 is Collections like Music and Classical Music in MediaMonkey 4+.
rtoledo2002

Post by rtoledo2002 »

FOUND IT. do you have to do it by hand ?

and oh yes it no longer works on the latest firmware of my wife's Iphone 10 YUK to the phone
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, it just helps locate possible duplicates, you need to decide if it's a duplicate and which copy to delete.

Are you on MediaMonkey 4.1.25? If not, upgrade.
rtoledo2002

Post by rtoledo2002 »

@LowLander I feel I need to share this so that others can learn from my mistakes:

So I usually do not show the PATH of my music list in MM. but after I found what you posted for me to work on duplicates , I turned the PATH to show and I noticed that I had a ITUNES folder that had a duplicate of my music plus a third folder on another drive (I have tons of drives and a Synology NAs with 48TB on it) anyways

I proceeded to delete the itunes folder(don't care) and the other one , Knowing i have 3 other back up drives with master and " cleaned " folders of music.

here is what I did next and NOT SURE what I did that ended up DELETING all but 6 music files in my " working M.U.S.I.C " file. I deleted the database from " clear database " and also before that from " maintain database" after that I added my ! M.U.S.I.C file to read it into the database , all well so far , then I went into the "entire library" / "files to edit " and I manually deleted the duplicates.

I do not remember doing ANY thing else. When i went into the music folder I had only those 5 or 6 files.

So I am kinda scared to do this again .

if you have any ideas on what I might have done wrong let me know. I found a 25GB folder that is completely clean without duplicates so I'm starting fresh. I will look into those 2 links you posted for "external plugins " that also deal with duplicates just to see how those work.

I recently purchased a program JAIKOS it's to find art for files that are missing it and it works 100% great.
and I used another one to remove the numbers at the begining of music (hate that )

anyways thank you for you halp so far and i welcome any input from anyone besides you
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you remove all files listed in duplicates? You need to leave 1 copy of the duplicates to keep.
rtoledo2002

Post by rtoledo2002 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:00 am Did you remove all files listed in duplicates? You need to leave 1 copy of the duplicates to keep.
no I left one version of each song, BUT you don't understand I had one page of duplicates about 100 to 150 songs worth of duplicates, BUT I lost over 2800 songs that were inside the m.u.si.c folder 39.7 GB's worth of songs.

If you look at the first pictures I posted on my first post you will see on the left bottom corner it clearly reads 2864 songs in the left bottom corner.

now

ALL were gone . not sure what happened.

and mind you when i said I deleted the database and had also tried to do a quick cleaning too, I then went back in and made SURE the only directory MM was looking at now was E:\!m.u.s.i.c . and I had deleted the other Itune folders that held music and the c:\user\music folder too .

NOW I have 9.5GB's worth of music in the c:\user\music folder. and when I do a delete I always hold SHIFT as I delete to make sure it's not in the trash bin.

this is weird. just not sure what the heck I did. I think I will start fresh with a fresh copy of the music folder from my Synology to e:\!m.u.s.ic and new INSTALL of MM.
Last edited by rtoledo2002 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

One is a screenshot of a portable device's SD card and 1 is a screenshot of the E drive under My Computer. Neither are a screenshot of the MediaMonkey Library. Maybe you need to scan files into the Library?
rtoledo2002

Post by rtoledo2002 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:08 pm One is a screenshot of a portable device's SD card and 1 is a screenshot of the E drive under My Computer. Neither are a screenshot of the MediaMonkey Library. Maybe you need to scan files into the Library?
I guess I need to learn the concept of what is the MM library, but the only folder that was seen or scanned into MM after deleting the database was the e:\!m.u.s.i.c folder that is what I meant by " the library"

I need to go back and explore MM more and learn. this after 6 years use LOL
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

My Computer shows what's on your PC, Music shows what you have scanned into the MediaMonkey Library.
rtoledo2002

Post by rtoledo2002 »

Do you know what setting in MM, is causing it to take all the music in e:\music and copying it to

c:\user\my music ? I need to stop this action, as I do not want any unneeded files in the C: SSD. I'm reading through the option screen to see where that is at

thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > Auto-Organize can automatically move files.
ruchertora

Post by ruchertora »

Do you have to do it by hand?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I do, using Tools > Auto-Organize Files. However Auto-Organize does it automatically when you add or edit a file.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

ruchertora wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:09 am Do you have to do it by hand?
I have changed hard drives numerous times over the years, and yes, MM can be a pain.
There should be an option for the user to choose Library by drive letter. Let the user decide. There must be an easier way.

OK, so I upgraded my secondary hard drive where all my music is on.

I usually use Update Location Of Files In Database by Zvezdan Dimitrijević or Change Drive-ID After Moving Files To A New Drive script.
I usually end up with duplicates, so I just enable the "Added" column, then sort by date added and highlight everything added Today and remove them.

In the past, that was all that was needed, but in recent MM versions, the duplicate tracks would return after restarting MM.

So, the additional next step is to highlight your entire library, and go to File > Locate Moved Missing Files.

I highly suggest that you backup your database prior to changing drives, because I lost all my data, but luckily I backed up and simply had to copy MM.DB back.

PS: I think that File > Locate Moved Missing Files is supposed to work on its own, but I have never had any luck with it like that.
Last edited by dypsis on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.