Shared music, Separate Data & Chrome Cast Audio

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JohnSr

Shared music, Separate Data & Chrome Cast Audio

Post by JohnSr »

I've used Media Monkey for years. Now my wife and I would like to have a common, shared music collection. The music collection is on a Synology DS218j. My wife would like to play music from her computer, while I listen to different music from my laptop in another room. We'd each have our own database of playlists, tags, labels and ratings. We'd also like to use our tablets, phones, or PCs and Google Chrome Cast Audio to send music to speakers in the kitchen. What is the right combination of Media Monkey apps and data locations to make this work?
Lowlander

Re: Shared music, Separate Data & Chrome Cast Audio

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey for Windows can work with files stored in network locations like a NAS and MediaMonkey for Android can stream to Chromecast.
JohnSr

Post by JohnSr »

Thank you lowlander. That's similar to what I was thinking.

Where should our individualized databases of playlists, tags, labels and ratings be? Does the Synology make more sense then our PCs?

Would Media Monkey server make things any better/easier?

Thanks for the reply.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Having individual tags requires good planning as by default tags would be saved to the files.

I'd keep local databases (on the PC) as the database on the network is slower. You'd be best to at least for 1 user have read-only access to the files, so edits aren't saved to the files (also disable the saving of tags in the MediaMonkey options).

MediaMonkey Server is still in it's early stages and probably won't make sense in this setup.
JohnSr

Post by JohnSr »

Lowlander - again thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay in my response. I was wrapped up in the holiday and confused by your reply.

What do we mean by tags? I thought everything I entered about a song, except album art, was kept in a SQLite db. I'm thinking I would edit the .ini on the local machine to reflect a db location on the Synology.

Thanks,
John
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

By default any thing you enter about the song is saved in the database and in the file itself (this way you can take files elsewhere and they'll still have your tags). This is a problem if you have multiple people editing the tags and wanting different values. If all will use the same values this isn't a problem.