MM Crashed And Recorvery Is Not Going Well

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Blakeh

MM Crashed And Recorvery Is Not Going Well

Post by Blakeh »

Hi All-

I am typing this message after about 8 straight hours of trying to troubleshoot the problem I'm having with MM (4.1.25.1895). Something went very wrong last night and I haven't been able to recover.

My FLAC files are all stored on a QNAP NAS. I had to update the firmware of the NAS (for an unrelated issue). Once I did this, MM saw it as changing the drive ID and all of my tracks went grey. I can click on the properties any of the tracks and see that the DRIVE ID is wrong (It now says [DRIVE_E] instead of "X:" which is what it says when the tracks are properly referenced). No problem... I used the 'Locate Moved/Missing Files' functionality and MM was able to find all the tracks and update the pointers. I can spot check that all the tracks actually do have an 'X:' instead of a [DRIVE_E] in front of them. If I click to play one track, it starts playing fine. However, the entire rest of MM bogs down. Scrolling takes 4 or 5 seconds, highlighting a track takes a long time, and if I click to play another track, I get audio stuttering and finally MM just freezes up. If I try to go back into MM, the UI never loads. I can see the task running, but nothing ever happens.

I've also tried the script 'MM_HDDSerial.vbs' to update the file path. Again, it runs fine and updates everything correctly, but if I go into MM to play a track, the exact same behavior happens -- everything bogs down and eventually stop working.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I could do a complete re-install of MM and re-scan the tracks, but I don't want to lose my playlists (which are very important to me) or the scripts I've customized over the past ten years. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Blakeh

Re: MM Crashed And Recorvery Is Not Going Well

Post by Blakeh »

Okay, I've narrowed down when this issue happens:

Everything bogs down when I click on a track from a playlist that has a lot of songs. I've never had an issue with this in the past. I have a playlist with around 50,000 tracks. Typically I just click on a track to being playing music and it adds whatever tracks are after the song I clicked on to the 'Now Playing' list. Sometimes this can be 30,000+ tracks. Since I've owned MM, this has never slowed anything down. However, since I had to re-locate all the tracks in my database, this is severely slowing the system down.

If I click on a track and 20,000 songs get added to the 'Now Playing' list, the system bogs down for about 30 seconds (and playback gets choppy) until everything catches up. Worse, if I exit the program and go back in, it can take up to ten minutes for the UI to come up if there are a lot of songs in the 'Now Playing' list.

The bogging down time and startup time directly relates to how many tracks are in the 'Now Playing' list. The less tracks in the list, the shorter the disruption is. I realize it's easy to say, "don't add so many tracks to your Now Playing list," but this has *never* once been a problem in the past. MM has always responded quickly (both the UI and in startup) even when I had 100,000+ tracks in the 'Now Playing' list. This makes me think something is wrong. I have optimized the database (complete) and it does not solve the issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try File > Maintain Library with complete optimization checked.
Blakeh

Post by Blakeh »

Thank you for the feedback, Lowlander. I have tried the complete optimization but am still running into the same issue.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Slow startup with large Now Playing is not odd as it requires the reading of each file on startup (it's not a pure database reading). Do you have any Addons installed?

You may have something slowing down the reading of the database file (is it on a local drive?) or causing slow reading of the media files.
Blakeh

Post by Blakeh »

That is my suspicion as well. I loaded MM on a new Windows 10 Machine and copied the database over. I then did a Locate Missing Files and it updated all the file pointers. Still, when I load MM, the splash screen comes up and then it takes two and a half minutes for the UI to load. That's with 5,000 tracks in the 'Now Playing' list. This number of files has never been a problem before. I wish I knew what MM was doing for that two and a half minutes -- it might help me track down what the issue is.

Thanks,
Blake
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That can be caused by Addons, some will delay the start of MediaMonkey.
Blakeh

Post by Blakeh »

I have a current backup copy of all my FLAC files. The tags were all synced with my MM database. I'm tempted to just load a new instance of MM and import the files as a new install. I can re-load my scripts and reconfigure my settings. The big thing I don't want to lose are my playlists. They have been meticulously grooomed over the years and some of them contain 40K+ songs. I know they are stored in the database. Is there a way to export them from the old MM instance and import them into a new one?

Thanks,
Blake
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Blakeh

Post by Blakeh »

Thank you for the link, Lowlander! I re-scanned my library and then was able to restore my playlists.

One more quick question: MM picked up 11 extra tracks when it scanned my FLAC files than I had in my original database. Is there a tool/add-on that would let me compare my original database to the new one and find out what the difference of tracks is?

Thanks again,
Blake