Volume leveling [EXPLAINED]

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jmcc

Volume leveling [EXPLAINED]

Post by jmcc »

Hi - could I ask what algorithm you use for "volume levelling"? Do you just take an average across the track, or a difference between highest and lowest values, or is it more involved? I notice that in the world of audio mastering the Bob Katz K-System which tries to evaluate "perceived volume" seems to be becoming more prevalent - see https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... udness-war. Any thoughts about implementing this as an option for MediaMonkey?

Best
John
Peke

Re: Volume leveling

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MM uses defacto standard it was used all the way back from tapes eg. average gain control on peaks (I remember my Teac Cassette deck scanned whole tape to set head and peak for best playback), but not sure on exact algorithm we use.

That was a nice read. It explained in depth Compression and how Limiters work. Unfortunately from my experience when I listen CDs from 80s and current ones I found that currently tracks are over compressed so that they do not clip but all the music dynamics are destroyed. Where I prefer Original.

One of common plugins used is Sound Solutions one that looks like this:
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jmcc

Post by jmcc »

Hi Peke - yes I agree that over the years tracks have got more and more compressed which increases "perceived" volume at the cost of reduced dynamics. Hopefully this new metering/loudness philosophy will help counteract this as there will no longer be an advantage in compressing the life out of tracks. We'll see...

Best
John
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Exactly, we will see.

I personally think that war is far from over. Maybe I am oldtimer, but I prefer pure gain/peak volume control as it is preserving dynamics of original score.

See how digital technology evolved, now BT speakers are shoe box size and punch sound like my old DYI speakers (4way based system on 8ohm 300W RMS Woofer, 230W RMS Mid range, and 2x8ohm joint in serial connection tweeters), but without extra kidney movement on High Volumes as they actually trick my ears to hear the frequency without power. Or when listening music on Audio Technica ATH-M70x headphones with Tascam US 2x2 (on PC) or Special handmade Lamp based Phono -> Headphone Amp for Vinyl.
Best regards,
Peke
jmcc

Post by jmcc »

Hi Peke - just a supplementary question concerning the settings of "Options/Player/Volume Leveling/Level Playback Volume To:" - this defaults to 89dB but in respect to what baseline and how does this relate to 0 dBFS. Are we setting 0 dBFS to 96dB as this is the maximum dynamic range for a CD?

When running "Portable Device Sync/Auto Conversion" with "Level Volume when synchronizing audio" set, does this "Target Volume Level" take into account the "Track Volume" setting?

So for example, if I had a wav file at -6dB compared to 0 dBFS and my "Level Playback Volume" is the default 89dB and Target Volume Level for Portable Device Sync is 93dB; the "Track Volume" should be +1dB and "Target Volume Level" will increase the volume of the converted file to 93dB? If I then change the "Level Playback Volume To" setting to 91dB, how does that effect portable device volume?

Any enlightenment gratefully received.

Best - John
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I can only say that you got things correctly. It is based on CD dynamic range Red book. Same thing goes for max setting I have it on 95dB, never use leveling just analyze on new tracks in library.

MMA on Android support Gain index in files so if track is synced along with gain index then it will be played like that.
Best regards,
Peke
jmcc

Post by jmcc »

Hi Peke - many thanks for your reply. One final point of clarification; when auto-convert is specified on a sync device, from wav to flac in my case, I take it that the conversion is done at the volume of the original wav file and that any volume levelling is just done using the Gain Index setting on MMA?

Thanks again
John
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
That is correct Plain conversion from WAV1 -> FLAC -> WAV2 should be Lossless eg. WAV1 and WAV2 Bit Perfect At least in my tests.

If You apply Volume leveling than it is not lossless and due the decoding It is recommended to Scan Gain Index on Destination Format even it is lossless conversion as in in case of Lossy formats it can be different.

TEST Note: WAV1 and WAV2 bit to bit comparison is is done on plain AUDIO data part of file without Metadata and additional chunks that make plain comparison of checksums and hashes fail eg. Using hex editor/compare.
Best regards,
Peke