Update Portable Install

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

HannibalLec

Update Portable Install

Post by HannibalLec »

I have a portable instance of MM on a 2GB USB drive. The program is located in E:\mediaMonkey with 8 sub-folders:
E:\MediaMonkey
\Equalizer
\favicons
\Licenses
\Locale
\Plugins
\Portable
\Scripts
\Skins

When I install a patch/update, the package asks for the location of the portable install and I tell it E:\mediamonkey. I then get a scare screen saying "E:\mediamonkey already exists. Would I like to install to that folder anyway?" When i select Yes, the update happens but I get a new sub-folder \mediamonkey under the D:\mediamonkey directory, and within this new folder are the same 8 folders. If I delete this new (E:\mediamonkey\mediamonkey) subfolder, the program appears to work fine.

The problem is that I'm concerned i am going to erase/corrupt my DB with over 65k files in it. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong.
Lowlander

Re: Update Portable Install

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure you set the right install Path. This may mean removing the extra \MediaMonkey\ folder if you select E:\MediaMonkey or instead selecting E:\ only.

It won't remove the database on updates, but if you're worried you should regularly create a copy of the database file (mm.db) so that you can revert to it if things ever go wrong.
HannibalLec

Re: Update Portable Install

Post by HannibalLec »

Thanks Lowlander. Well.... I tried to select the root directory (E:\) but it wouldn't let me. I selected E:\Mediamonkey (as usual) and this time it DIDN'T create the second mediamonkey sub-folder.... everything worked fine. I didn't do anything different, but it certainly looks like Operator Error. Thanks for your kind assistance.