Auto organize

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Doug Knott

Re: Auto organize

Post by Doug Knott »

I'm just fixing typos

I’m pretty good with Excel but your method of “IF statements” is breaking my brain. I’m sure I’m the problem. I want to auto organize as follows.

First Directory:
C:\<Type>\

Second Directory:
If there is an artist I want to use the first letter of the artist field, moving the prefix.
If the artist field is empty, I want to use the first letter of the album artist field, moving the prefix.
If the album artist field is empty, I want the folder “Unknown” to be used.

Third Directory:
If there is an artist I want to use artist field, moving the prefix.
If the artist field is empty, I want to use album artist field, moving the prefix.

Forth Directory:
I want to use the Album field, removing the prefix.
If the Album field is blank, I want the folder “Unknown” to be used.
File name:

File Name:
If the Artist, Album Artist, Album and Title fields are all blank I want the file moved to C:\<Type>\Unknown\Unknown\Unknown\ with no change to the file name.

If there is a Disc number in the Disc# filed I want “Disc “<Disc#>” - “, Followed by the <Track#:2> if the track number is one or two digits or <Track:3> if there are 3 digits” – “,Followed by the <Title >.

MASSIVE Bonus:

If the original file name starts with a {four digit year}_ or a {group of up to three letters} followed by a {two digit year}_

C:\<Type>\Year\ no changes to the file name.

I know this could cause a problem it the original file name is something like:

1999_Prince_02_Little Red Corvette.mp3

But it’s better to put 1999_Prince Lets go Crazy.mp3 type files in the C:\<Type>\Year\ folder than to move it to C:\Music\P\Prince\1999\02 - Little Red Corvette.

If this massive bonus can’t be done it would be best if the files didn’t move at all.

Yes, I've tried off and on for years to get this and avoid file names too long, but it has escaped me to the point I willing to get help.

Signed:

A loyal, lifetime updates, MediaMonkey user of 10 or 11 years.
Doug
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Using single auto-organize for that purpose would be tricky and I think that there is a big Chance that you will make things worse rather than better.

Thing I would suggest is that you first do and Auto Tag and then Auto Organize.

eg. You should use MMW Files To edit Tree node to resolve Tagging issues and then after you clear that you do Auto-Organize.

For Auto Organize if you plan to do that on 10k+ tracks I would not recommend it, not due the MMW is not capable doing that, but because you can't check preview results accurately due the very big chance of things you can't predict in this very very complex destination mask.

Let me know what you think so that I can try to help you further.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Doug Knott

Post by Doug Knott »

I've been setting up the c:\Music\P\Prince\1999\02 - Little Red Corvette somewhat manually for years, I'm kinda attached to it as my collection is 360k+ files.

I did notice MM5 has more than 5 custom fields so I can avoid on the "MASSIVE Bonus" section and handle that issue another way.

As stated I'm good with Excel and this setup would be easy for me with Excel. The problem I'm having is with the third folder:

Third Directory:
If the artist field is empty, I want to use album artist field, moving the prefix.
If the album artist field is empty, I want the folder “Unknown” to be used.Third Directory:

Having MM take care of one or two scenarios is simple enough but when there is a third I'm falling short. I've tried off and on but everything I come up with has problem like:

c:\Music\U\Unknown\Unknown\02 - Little Red Corvette

I should get:

C:\Music\Unknown\02 - Little Red Corvette

Any help with how to deal with a third option would be a big help.

Thank you
Doug
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What mask do you currently have?
Doug Knott

Post by Doug Knott »

Well I moved the whole thing to notepad so I can view the entire line at the same time. The help a lot!

I think I got it minus the "Massive Bonus". I even added that if the Artist and the Album Artist are unknown it only moves to the first part of the path, then keeps the original path and filename.

S:\ORG\<Type>\$Assign(Proc,$if(<Artist>,$MovePrefix(<Artist@1>),$if(<Album Artist>,$MovePrefix(<Album Artist@1>),UNK))\$if(<Artist>,$MovePrefix(<Artist>),$if(<Album Artist>,$MovePrefix(<Album Artist>),))\$if(<Album>,$MovePrefix(<Album>),Album UKN)\$if(<Artist>,$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#:2> - ,)<Track#:2> - $MovePrefix(<Title>),$if(<Album Artist>,$if(<Disc#>,Disc <Disc#:2> - ,)<Track#:2> - $MovePrefix(<Title>),<Filename>)))$if(<Artist>,$Use(Proc),$if(<Album Artist>,$Use(Proc),<Path>))

It seems to work but if I find out it doesn't I'll update here.

Thank you all very much for your help!

Doug