How to upgrade from portable to Gold?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

YetAnotherLondonder

How to upgrade from portable to Gold?

Post by YetAnotherLondonder »

I am currently running MediaMonkey portable on Windows 10. I want to buy the Gold version, but is there a specific procedure to follow to upgrade from the portable one? There is a "get gold" option on the menu, but I want to be sure it wouldn't mess up my library - sometimes portable versions of some programs can be temperamental
Lowlander

Re: How to upgrade from portable to Gold?

Post by Lowlander »

All you do is enter your License using that option. Nothing else needs to be done.
YetAnotherLondonder

I see. But if I want to move from portable to standard installation, what would be the best way to do it? Is the standard installation any faster in searching the library, or is there really little difference and no real advantage/disadvantage in portable vs standard installation? Thanks a lot!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The difference is integration into Windows, not speed. The Portable version leaves Windows untouched and can easily be moved. It's what I use myself.

If you want to move to a non-portable I'd:
1) Install MediaMonkey is a normal install (not the same location as Portable Install).
2) Copy database from MediaMonkey Portable to MediaMonkey regular install location: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... -ini-files
3) Start MediaMonkey regular
4) Change settings as you require
YetAnotherLondonder

You're a star! I owe you a pint :) One last question, if I may: to upgrade a portable installation to the latest version, do I simply download the latest file, choose portable install, then overwrite the existing folder? Or do I need to install to a separate folder then move the library?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, download updates and install on top, remembering to select Portable Install in the installer.