I'm thinking about buying gold, but I have a lot of questions

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

ziegler

I'm thinking about buying gold, but I have a lot of questions

Post by ziegler »

Hey everyone.

So I am looking for some kind of software, that fit my specific need.

I have a large collection of local video playlists, that I want to manage better, in some kind of media-management-software (so MediaMonkey, or Kodi).

* I'm thinking about moving my collection to a cloud storage site, or some kind of local NAS, that I can reach from outside my house. (every question with a * infront of it, is in some way connected to this idea).

This is what I need (that I know MediaMonkey can do)
  • a way to divide by category
  • a way to divide those category, by sub-category
This is what I really need (that I don't know if MediaMonkey can do)
  • a easy way to see, what video from a playlist, that I have seen, or if I have watched the whole playlist.
  • * a way to connect to a cloud collection.
  • * if I have connected to the same cloud collection, on my computers and android MediaMonkey apps, would the "what I have watched" sync between all the apps (the source for the videos will be the same on all the apps, and will be totally unedited) ?
Extra questions
  • can you sync playing-log data, between the pc and android app?
  • does MediaMonkey have a way, to start from where I watched last?
  • * can you choose different video qualities on the android app, to limited the use of phone bandwidth (1080p, 720p 480p) ?
The functionality I really need, would be similar to the user-interface that Netflix have.
  • which video have I seen before
  • how much of those videos have I seen / did I see
  • where and when did I stop last
  • an easy management system for everything (categories, with sub-categories and lot of tag options)
Currently MediaMonkey looks like the best choice, but if any of you knows an other software, that fits my need better, I would love to hear about it.
Lowlander

Re: I'm thinking about buying gold, but I have a lot of questions

Post by Lowlander »

3) MediaMonkey has the Played Column, but no other identifyer a file has been played.
4) MM5 will work with Cloud storage, currently in Alpha testing
5) MMA can't do cloud, and I doubt it as played is tracked locally in the database, not with the file itself

6) Yes, if you sync files from MMW to MMA and do a resync later you can have it updated Play History from MMA to MMW.
7) Yes, Bookmarking remembers where you you left off.
8) Sync can Auto-Convert files

Plex (Kodi spinoff) may serve your needs better. It will allow you to setup a server on a NAS, has a multitude of clients to stream from the server at home or on the internet and keeps track of played status within the same account. However it does poorly when it comes to tagging (when you need more than it offers, your own video files (ie. not Movies/TV Shows) and lacks Playlist importing (which means you have to do it in Plex). It also no longer supports Cloud storage.