MediaMonkey no longer playing songs

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pacman23

MediaMonkey no longer playing songs

Post by pacman23 »

Running MediaMonkey (MM) 4.1.23.1881 under Windows 10.

MM had been working fine for years but now when I try to play a song it plays it for a second or two and then replaces the Playing sign with the Play button. Same thing with every song I try. It is a very recent problem. I'm not sure exactly when this started because I hadn't been using MM for several weeks and only re-started using it yesterday.

I tried de-installing MM and removing all its traces, including the database, by deleting the MM folders and folder contents. Reinstalled with a downloaded MM 4.1.23.1881 downloaded on 21-Oct-2018, rescanned my music files to re-create the database, no error messages during the installation, but the problem persists. When I try to play a song it plays it for a second or two and then stops and replaces the Playing sign with the Play button.

What might the cause be and how can I correct it ?
Lowlander

Re: MediaMonkey no longer playing songs

Post by Lowlander »

Does a file play if you open it from Explorer with MediaMonkey? If not, what File Type(s) fail to play?

Related:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ls-to-play
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... -corrupted
pacman10

Post by pacman10 »

Thanks for this reply.
I've just discovered the cause.
My music is on a Synology NAS. I realised that if the tunes wouldn't play in MM then MM probably wasn't able to get at them on the NAS. Looking at the list of folders on the left I noticed that it had acquired a new item called Media Servers and that my Synology NAS was no longer in that list. Also, the Paths of the tunes in the central menu consisted of long and complex addresses I had never seen before. So I restored my Synology NAS to the left menu, deleted the database, and told MM to re-scan using the new Synology NAS folder as the source and not the Media Servers folder. It re-populated the database and MM now plays the tunes normally.
I can only speculate that the changes to the folders in the menu on the left occurred in the course of one of the frequent updates of Windows 10 or the Synology NAS system, possibly also when I updated MM in October 2018. It's possible that the Synology NAS fired up its media server, which I had never used, in the course of an update and that MM recognised it and started scanning in its content.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You probably did scan from the Media Server on the NAS and not the File Server. Then MediaMonkey is fully dependent on the Media Server.