Adjust volume level when synching?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Zonky

Adjust volume level when synching?

Post by Zonky »

Hi,

I ever wonder how to adjust the volume level when synchronizing one of my playlists to a memory stick to be used in my car audio.

I did these steps so far:
1) Create a playlist and add some tracks
2) Plug in the memory stick
3) Edit the options of the device profile:
a) to sync only the playlist from 1) to the device
b) Options: "Level volume when synchronizing audio": Target volume level: 89 db

Back in my car I noticed that not all MP3 files do have the same volume level. Some are louder others not. I always though that option 3b) will change the volume of each MP3 to be the same at the very end.

So what's the best way to geht the same level over all of my synchronized files?
MMW 4.1.20.1864, btw.

cu,
Michael
Lowlander

Re: Adjust volume level when synching?

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, and it works fine here. How did you then proceed to sync? Did you already have files on the device (they won't be changed)?

MMW 4.1.21 is the current release.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Thanks for your reply!

I've read somewhere that most of those level adjusting features, within MM, do only work while playing those MP3 from MM. Reason: this levelling is stored inside the tags and does not affect the files themselves. Hence, it may be possible that my car audio does not respect those tags. Do not know if this is true or not.

Regarding your question: I always use the appropriate context menu item of the media tree for synchronizing the playlist, while focusing on the device.

Since I've set the target volume level a while ago I did not perform a complete new device sync, but I will give this a new try. However, as far as I rememer I already tried this before to no avail.

Michal
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You've enabled leveling which modifies the file, so it doesn't depend on the Player supporting a tag (this is Analyze Volume not Level Volume).

You may have a scenario that only newly synced files are leveled and older ones aren't, also be aware that leveling doesn't work on lossless formats like FLAC.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

So,

after some days of absence, some feedback: I've now completelywiped the whole memory stick and removed every single MP3 file. After resynching the playlist again to the stick, I went straight into my car and listened to the library. Once again I noticed that not all of the files do have the same volume level.

Back to PC, inserted the memory stick and restarted MM4. I listened to the same files as before and noticed that MM4 obviously plays all of those files (directly from the stick) with apparently the same volume level.

Hence, I shut down MM and played the very same files within Video LAN Client (VLC). Result: the volume level IS different than expected. So I assume MM4 is doing something wrong while synchronzing the files to the stick despite the customized option Level volume when synchronizing audio: Target volume level: 89db from the appropriate device profile.
Maybe I've to check or add one of those conversion rules for MP3 files to get adjusted volume levels, either?

Edit: So I now created such a conversion rule to convert each single MP3 file above 128 kbps to CBR with 320 kbps while re-synchronizing again, of course I deleted all files once again fro mthe stick.
Same result as always when playing the files within VLC. After digging a little deeper, I checked the modification date of those MP3 files on my memory stick that where just created/copied. Guess what? None of them have been modified today!?
This tells me that none of those files have been converted so no volume levelling either! The progress bar on the bottom during the sync process of MM did tell me the opposite, though. Every now and then I could see a conversion text appearing.

Michael
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Share you sync settings auto-conversion rules (screenshot) as they may not be set correctly (use any image or file sharing site and post link here). Are you seeing this with MediaMonkey 4.1.23 too?
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Hi,

I'm running 4.1.23.1881, which I've used at the time of writing my latest post above and here are the current sync settings:
https://picload.org/view/dcoraclo/syncsettings.jpg.html

The currently active conversion rule was just created by me for testing purposes and to check if any of the files gets modified upon the sync process - which was not the case. Hence neither the files are touched in any way nor was the volume level.

And as mentioned above the progress bar during the device synchronization told me that it is converting something...

cu,
Michael
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I followed your settings and tracks are leveled on Sync. Are you using Auto-Sync or Send to Device option?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Using button Auto-Sync e.g. from the bottom of the appropriate device profile. I'm not synchronizing single files but a complete playlist that is configured in this device profile.

Just read the online help: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... ration/4.0
If leveling is enabled, then:
All tracks that are converted are levelled during the conversion process
This means, at least for me: no levelling is done if no conversion is processed at all, right?
OTH if I've set up a conversion rule for almost any MP3 file as depicted in my hardcopies from the link above, I would expect that every single file gets converted and the volume is adjusted as set up.

Michael
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Are you using MMW free version?

If not can you please open support ticket (same credentials as on forum) and attach created debug log as described at https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=30&t=69
Best regards,
Peke
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Hi,

I'm Gold user and I've just submitted a ticket with debug information that was collected while newly synchronizing the complete playlist in question to my memory stick.

Ticket: #WEW-546-38857

Thanks,
Michael
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

So, did you receive/found the ticket I've submitted recently and did you perhaps find some time to analyze the logs?

Michael
Peke

Post by Peke »

Will analyze it tonight.
Best regards,
Peke
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

So could you find any issues so far?

Michael
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I guess reply in ticket didn't go thru, No all work OK on my PC and syncing.

Can you please in ticket also send me DL link for two files that do not level on sync?
Best regards,
Peke