retrieve moved tracks - only some files are found

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

wagnerb

retrieve moved tracks - only some files are found

Post by wagnerb »

Hi!

I'm working with offline files a lot, so i've burned 25 CDs with MP3s. In the meantime I've corrected the tags in MM often - none of these changes were written to CD-Rs, quite clear!

So now I want to reduce my CDs and work with a few DVDs, so my way was the following:
1) Copy all CDs content to my harddrive
2) Retrieve moved tracks function to change path in DB
3) Sync Tags to correct wrong tags in the file itself
4) Burn MP3s to DVDs-RWs (maybe with packet writing)
5) Retrieve moved tracks function again to change path in DB for offline media

Seems the correct way, BUT when I try point 2) MM only finds SOME of the songs with the retrieve moved tracks function (sure, the filename itself was never changed!) so I'm stucked...

I've tested some things a while and it seems that MM has a problem with changed tags in DB that can't be written to the file itself - maybe this is the reason why it can't retrieve these files afterwards.

Yours Bernd
wagnerb

no answer?

Post by wagnerb »

Hi there! What's up - no answer? Nobody having the same problems? Can't believe... :)

Greetz

B.
Lowlander

Time Stamp?

Post by Lowlander »

My guess would be that the timestamp on the burned CD's is that of the date of burning, while the DB has a different timestamp (creation of file or something like that).

The other thing I can advice you is to include MM version and OS info in problem postings so the problem can be easier solved.
rusty

Writing offline CDs to DVD

Post by rusty »

it seems that MM has a problem with changed tags in DB that can't be written to the file itself
I'm not sure what you mean by this--as far as I can tell, if the DB is not synchronized with the actual tags, then selecting the file and clicking 'Synchronize Tags' should synchronize the tags. Can you elaborate?

btw, my understanding is that all the information about your 25 CDs has been tracked in your database, but that the CDs are offline. If this is the case, another approach you can take is to:
1) Insert each CD and save the contents to the Virtual CD
2) Burn DVDs from the virtual CD directory.

-Rusty
wagnerb

Post by wagnerb »

ok, I think it was explained too complicated, I try a more simple approach:

Currently, all my mp3s are stored on CDRs from the past, so read only. I changed the mp3 tags in the MM DB to clean up the tags, MM tries to change the tags in DB and on CD, but I click cancel, CDRs are read only...

Now I copy the files to my harddrive and want MM to change the path of the files to the path on the harddrive, so I mark the mp3s and say "retrieve moved tracks" - but now only about the half of all files are presented in the window "found moved files" and the other half in the window "files with new path not found".

The filename was never changed (it's not possible to change it in MM when the files are on CDs) so this is not the reason...

I'm working with MM 2.1 and XP

Yours B.
Lowlander

Timestamp?

Post by Lowlander »

Have you checked the date modified of files on CDR vs. HDD? MM can have trouble finding files if the date modified (timestamp) differs.
wagnerb

Post by wagnerb »

Yes, I did. It's the same date (simple copy operation from CD to HD - no change of filedate or timestamp)

I can't believe I'm alone with this problem...

B.
Lowlander

Nop

Post by Lowlander »

But I gave up searching for clues as I don't have that time anymore. My problem was not with CD's but with moving files external of MM and then recovering them.
I hope this problem can be figured out and will also solve mine as well.

Good luck
rb

retrieve moved tracks?

Post by rb »

I've just purchased MM Gold. My reason for purchase was to update my fledgling database within MM (free) to reflect my having moved half-dozen folders of music. Each folder contained a specific album or set of music by a single artist. Using 'Retrieve Moved Tracks' and a folder specific scan, only certain files were recognized by MM. This, despite the files having identical names as listed under MM 'path' column.

Why wouldn't MM pick up these moved files? I can't see any significant difference between the recognized and unrecognized files.

thankyou in advance,
-rb
rb

Additionally,

Post by rb »

Upon manual edit of the unrecognized files some but not all files are removed from the 'dead links' folder. Whether or not the files removed play is unknown at this time. However, whether or not the files were removed from the dead links folder an error message was displayed upon edit saying roughly, 'File unable to be located, it will not be moved.'

-rb
malibu

Post by malibu »

I also purchased MM Gold.. To be able to track moving files back and forth to my laptop. MM is really a great product and well priced in my opinion, but I have been less then enthused with it's ability to keep track of files that are moving around. I have had duplicate entries in the database.. and the most annoying problem, I have had mp3s completely swap filenames!

I really do hope they choose to make this kind of thing rock solid with the next version.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Well all of you lets make one test. I'm moving songs this way.
1. Insert some Data CD
2. Select some songs to move to HDD
3. Rightclick on selected songs select send to/Folder (Move)/<whatever You want> Note: not in any of Monitored Folders.
4. Check Selected files proporties if the reference of that files path is updated to moved folder.
5. Record those moved files to a CD.
6. Delete them From HDD
7. Start Update moved Tracks.

In my case this allways worked.

Waiting for your report.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts

Post by Guest »

Thankyou Peke. Unfortunately, it seems my problem is that I did not move the tracks originally from within MM because the 'Retrieve Moved Tracks' function does not work.
rb

oops

Post by rb »

forgot to sign off,
-rb