Could not retrieve data... database disk image is malformed

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

1337haXXor

Could not retrieve data... database disk image is malformed

Post by 1337haXXor »

I've seen that there have been a few posts like this, but none have helped me. I recently installed Mediamonkey on a new computer after my old one completely crashed. I was able to salvage the data from the hard drive, but when I copied the MM.db and .ini file over, I receive multiple malformed database errors. I see that others have been able to delete the "offending" file or issue, but my seems to be a setting issue. The full errors display as:

There was a problem querying the database:
Could not retrieve data "SELECT ID FROM MediaServers WHERE UseAsSyncServer = 1" :
database disk image is malformed (1, 11)

and:

Could not retrieve data "SELECT MediaServers.* FROM MediaServers WHERE id = 1" :

and:

Could not retrieve data "SELECT ID FROM Devices WHERE PluginName='d_WMDM.dll'= 1" :

When trying to do anything in the options menu to potentially further diagnose the issues, I receive:

Could not retrieve data "SELECT ID FROM MediaServers ORDER BY UseAsSyncServer DESC" :

Followed by an Access Violation at address 00AB2DF9... read of address 00000000.

When doing anything else like editing tracks or even closing the program, I receive similar errors and similar access violations of the aforementioned address as well as 0000005F, 00000006, 003A0034, 02FBE090.

I'm on Windows 10, using the latest version of MM Gold.

EDIT: Used RestorePlayHistory to no avail. It threw a few similar errors, then stated it "completed successfully," but still the same issues persist.
Lowlander

Re: Could not retrieve data... database disk image is malformed

Post by Lowlander »

See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... -malformed

So, yes the database file needs to be deleted.
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

The program will open and everything appears normal, i.e. I can see my songs, metadata displayed in columns, playlists, etc. I just can't do anything with the music.

I've been maintaining this music library extremely meticulously for more than 2 decades and have amassed a very large amount of music that I listen to regularly. Won't deleting the database to make a new one get rid of all of this information? Is there any way to salvage the playlists/playcounts/date added/last played/etc.

EDIT: Okay, so I may have found out partially what the problem is: when moving from one computer to the next, I used a different name for my "User" for Windows. Looking at the files' locations on the computer, they're all greyed out because they think their location is under the old User. I can't run the relocator (or any of the tools), is there something I can do? Maybe that's why I'm getting the other errors, because the username is different?

EDIT2: So I've copied the music to a folder with the name of the old username and the program is able to read all the music. All the other problems still persist. Also making any actual changes to the library (e.g. adding a file to a playlist) corrupts the database to the point where mediamonkey no longer opens.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, play history and playlists will be lost, but the database is damaged.

With a new database you maybe able to use: http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic. ... e+database
1337haXXor

Post by 1337haXXor »

Well, definitely was not going to just let my playlists and playcounts go by the wayside, as those are the crux of my music library, so I have my own solution, though it's taken me days to recover everything.

I Installed SQLiteDatabaseBrowser to browse the old database, copied out the relevant information: path (as this covered artist/album/etc., and for easier sorting later), playcount, date added, and last played. Sorting was messed up on my old database (I've had it for years, and the size was ~180MB). I started a brand new database, added all of my music, and saved that database as the new one. I then sorted the new database the same way (by path) and copied in the relevant data, easy peasy. A few things were not proper, so I believe that there is a discrepancy in the sorting methods for the MM Database vs. the spreadsheet program (likely uppercase/lowercase, symbols, etc.), so I've been combing through my library bit by bit to fix the irregularities. For playlists, I was unable to get into "Tool" in my old database, as it would crash, so I clicked on each individual playlist and exported it to m3u. Importing would not work, however, so I used a script I found for importing playlists that was a little more powerful, and it worked like a charm, though took a while.

So here we are, days later, everything mostly fixed. Took a few days for ~40,000 songs, but well worth the time, though a lot of that time was research and trying different things. Hopefully this post can help someone else in a similar situation!