Delete Duplicates from Playlist

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jgt1942

Delete Duplicates from Playlist

Post by jgt1942 »

How in the heck do I easily remove duplicates from my playlist? I've been creating playlist by "Artist" and for now this seems to meet my needs. Recently I added a large number of CDs for Glenn Miller (1782 files) to my library of which a LOT are duplicates based on the title. When I created the playlist I select all music that had an artist "Glenn Miller" now I want to remove ALL duplicates from the playlist. I right-clicked on the playlist and selected "Remove duplicates from playlist". I then see an Information window that states "No duplicates were detected" but when viewing the playlist and I sort on the title I see a BUNCH of duplicates. Out of the 1782 files in the playlist I estimate that the majority of the files are duplicates. Going through and manually removing them from the playlist will be a HUGE effort. What the heck am I doing wrong? I have the latest gold version of MMW.
Lowlander

Re: Delete Duplicates from Playlist

Post by Lowlander »

Are they the same files? Only when the same file is duplicated will it be removed. I checked and it works here (by default MediaMonkey also prompts if you want to add files as duplicates in the first place).
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

There is an add on called fix playlist dups, I’ve not used it but it should do what you what as your able to set different criteria.
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

Lowlander - no they are NOT the same files, just the same song.
AlanH - It looks like "fix playlist dups" is what I want but it does not work for me. I installed it, closed and restarted MMW, selected my playlist (Glenn Miller), clicked Tools > Scripts > Fix Playlist Dups. I see the window, clicked the dropdown for "Duplicates by:" (Artist & Title), "Playlist name: [Now Playing] and then OK. The "Fix Playlist Dups" window immediately close, I saw the progress bar at the bottom of the screen, after several seconds it closed and there was no message on the screen and NO duplicates were removed, e.g. I still have 1782 files in the playlist.

I reran the script and ensured I did not overlook something obvious, now after the progress bar disappears an "Error" window opens and reports "Now Playing has no duplicates" and still I have 1782 files in the playlist.

I checked https://www.rik.onl/mediamonkey/scripts.php?id=1 and it has the same addon thus downloading it and trying it should produce the same results. I'll send TRIXMOTO (the author) a PM.
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

I think I see what is going on. When I run the Addon I see that the "Now Playing" list (on the right side of the MMW window) is being modified but not my playlist in MMW, e.g. the playlist under "Playlist" on the left side of the MMW window.

I cannot determine how to save the modified "Now Playing" list and replace the original Playlist.

Any suggestions?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Empty original first, then add Now Playing (with Send To or D&D) to Playlist.