Tagging CD Singles

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

chester32

Tagging CD Singles

Post by chester32 »

Hello,

I've got a stack of CD "singles" (three or four songs on a disc) that I want to start ripping and adding to my library. Any suggestions on tagging these? So far I've made the main song / single the album name.

It would be neat to link these back to the parent album, but adding the album's title in the album field would get cumbersome. Also, for some groups I have way more singles than albums, so it would be easy to get lost in all of this.

Example: I have U2's "Elevation" that contains four remixes of the song on the disc. I tagged the album as "Elevation" and each track with its title.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Peke

Re: Tagging CD Singles

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I have 300+ Singles. And I ripped them as is. Many tracks on Single are not on Album, and I like when played on Car Head Unit to have Track/Single Album art instead of Album one.

Only thing I sometimes Add is "[EP]" As a sufix to Album Name to know it is Single and not mix with Album if exist under same name.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
chester32

Post by chester32 »

Thanks for the reply.

I really, really like the idea of using "EP" as a tag. Definitely going to borrow this idea.

After some exploration of MM here's my plan:

I'll keep the title of the single for the Album field.

I'm going to try adding "-EP" in the "Album field, and I'll try adding it in one of the Custom fields, too, and see which works out best. (I was going to use "Single" as a tag but that sounds dumb -- where's Double? Triple? etc. :) )

I'm going to use the "Original Title" field to capture the name of the parent album. Not as difficult as it sounds -- I've got a lot of singles from the same artist (U2) and albums, so it's pretty easy to do a mass update. I'm getting better at setting up Collections so I think I've already got a filter/view set up.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Per my daughter wish for hers phone under phone SD card Sync profile (Tools -> Options -> Portable Devices -> DESIRED SYNC PROFILE) under options -> File Locations I've set Music Sync Mask as "\Music\<Title>\<Artist> - <Title>" and each track that he plays have own mask pre single release or if existing correct album mask. She also uses MMA as exclusive player, but problem arise if you use any other player as each track is in its own folder.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts