Why Does MediaMonkey Take So Long To Scan Library?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Stigg

Why Does MediaMonkey Take So Long To Scan Library?

Post by Stigg »

Something that has been on my mind for a long time is that when I open MediaMonkey, it scans for updates to the library.
It may take up to 20 seconds or more. OK, that's not really that long, but I occasionally use MusicBee, and when I open MusicBee, it identifies new files to the library and even changes to existing files almost immediately.

I guess MusicBee uses a different method to identify new and changed files to what MediaMonkey does.
Is there any reason why MediaMonkey can't implement this very fast method for identifying new and changed files?
Lowlander

Re: Why Does MediaMonkey Take So Long To Scan Library?

Post by Lowlander »

Are you referring to Folder Monitoring or just the Reading Files you see in the Statusbar?

For MediaMonkey it depends on settings how long it takes to add new files. For example duplicate analysis takes longer. And are you saying MediaMonkey only takes 20 seconds?
Stigg

Re: Why Does MediaMonkey Take So Long To Scan Library?

Post by Stigg »

I have MediaMonkey set to scan at startup. As you open MediaMonkey, it scans for new and changed files. It can take 20 or more seconds before MediaMonkey becomes usable. If you try MusicBee, it identify new and changed files almost instantly as you open it. I guess there are 2 different technologies working there. I much prefer MusicBee's method.

If you try MusicBee, you will understand what I am saying about how instantly it can identify new and changed files. Even an added file or a small tag change.

It reports the changes at the bottom in the status bar almost as fast as MusicBee opens.